iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Picnic Table

Started by metalspinner, December 14, 2007, 04:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Here is the picnic table I've been working on.  Actually, the base was built last year, but I have been waiting for a big white oak to make the top.  That finally came along, so Teenswinger showed up and cut a few slabs out of the middle.  The top is 3" thick, 57" across, and 12' long.  Those slabs are HEAVY!!! :o

These aluminum rods are 18" long and hold each end of the 3"x6" beams in the logs.  The slots were cut with the chainsaw. 

Here everything is leveled up...

The slabs are held in place by these galvanized brackets I bent.  The brackets are not fastened to the beams to allow the slab to float.

From the top of the roof...  Notice the two Tennessee Ebony inlays. ::)

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

ely

that is a neat project, what did the inlays wind up costing you if i could ask? ;D

metalspinner

Those particular nails were cut with the chainsaw slabber, so that just needed to be resharpened.  However, the rest of the day's nails ended up costing a retipping fee on the six tooth blade. :(

SwampDonkey

Boys, you and that Brokaw sure like rugged picnic tables.  ;D

Nice natural table. Do you have a sheltered place to put it under?

Gotta love those nails and porcelain fence insulators.  ;)

Reminds me of the chainsaw table we made in fly camp from hemlock timbers. Of course we had to leave it behind. The Heli-cab driver said it wouldn't fit in the sling.  ::) Oh well, maybe some wood nymph will happen along and discover a culturally modified tree. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Wow, MS.  That is fine! 8).  Hopefully, you will not have to move it often  ??? ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodhick

Tn. ebony :D  I like that.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Norm

Woah...that's one cool table.

What do you have in mind for the seating for it?

pigman

What a table! 8)  I do think that you should have a structural engineer do a study of those column supports. They could buckle under load. :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

You could autopsy an elephant on that table, but the table would be much better for eating like one ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

QuoteYou could autopsy an elephant on that table,

:D :D  That's a good one, WDH.

Sorry I am late responding.. Been out of town this weekend.

Pigman,
Yeah, my BIL the architect is coming over for the holidays.  I'll have him go over it with his slide rule. :D  Those log supports are white oak as well.  And boy were they hard as a rock the cut the beam grooves in.

Norm, 
I have not quite decided yet on the seating.  I've got a third slab that I may rip in half for two benches.  They would be very heavy and give no flexibility in seating, however.  Of course, I could just cut some logs the the right height and use them as stools... nothing easier than that!

WDH,
That table is there for good. You can't tell from the pics, but the patio area is completely enclosed with a rock wall and steps going down.  Getting all that stuff out of there would be lots of work.  The best way would be as firewood.

SD,
No, there is no cover.  I bought three patio roofing panels to place on the table when not in use.  A couple of lightweight straps should hold the panels down from the wind.  My biggest worry, of course, are drying defects.  The whole area is completely shaded by the big oak tree in the summer.  That should be a little help with no direct sun.  And if I keep most rainwater off with the roof panels each side of the slabs should dry at the same rate.  I don't mind splits or cracks or things like that, just excessive cupping or twisting.

The cold, wet weather just moved in this weekend, so trying it out will have to wait for the spring. :(

WDH

MS,

That is a nice patio, and I am sure that table will be a nice complement! 

I bet the kids will enjoy playing on it too ;D.

TexasTimbers

MS, I may have missed it, but what species are the log pedestals?  Nice project.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

metalspinner

TT,
It's all white oak.  The two pedestals are from a log cut a looong time ago.  The sap is near the end of it's usefulness, but the heart wood is like stone.

It's difficult to see in the pics, but the pedestals are lifted off the ground by some 1" stones to try and keep them dry.  That and the patio base is a total of about three inches of crushed rock and pavers.  The top edge of the beams are lifted up a bit to try and keep the top of the base and bottom of the top dry.  smiley_headscratch (What did I just say?) I hope that will stop any decay for a long time. :)

TexasTimbers

I bet it will only last for several thousand family barbeques throughout the coming generations. ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

Be good for at least ten years. Surely? ;D Or until the young fellers start some creative acrobatics on dad's picnic table.  :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

QuoteOr until the young fellers start some creative acrobatics on dad's picnic table.   

You say that in jest, but...

Each week I've got a dozen boy scouts over here and next year that number will double with my youngest getting started.  That many boys can put anything through its paces.  That is why I built this table because the meetings were held around my kitchen table.  Talk about adding character to a table in a hurry. :o  Let me see them go at it with this table. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!