iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 031 AV, Pulling the Clutch?

Started by Gilman, December 13, 2007, 11:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

I need to change the sprocket but am not sure if the external style clutch is treaded on, or a slip fit.  I don't want to try pulling it off if it is threaded on.   :o

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

sawguy21

It is a right hand thread, loosen clockwise. You can make a piston stop by knotting a starter rope and feeding it into the spark plug hole. Then rotate the crank clockwise until the piston stops against the knot. Just be careful not to feed the rope too far in and have it catch in the ports.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

Um, I though that you loosen right hand threads by turning counter clockwise?

John Bartley

I "think" that sawguy21 has it pretty close, but I also think furby is right. It's been a longgggg time since I worked on an 031, but I think the clutch is LH thread and so it screws off by turning it clockwise. The rope trick  for a piston stop is what I've always used in the shop - it works well and is gentle on the top of the piston.

I have a scan of the clutch parts here - let me know if you'd like the link - I haven't figured out how to insert it here yet... :P

cheers eh?
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Kevin

It has left hand threads, turn clockwise to remove.

sawguy21

OOOPS, you are right, I MEANT left. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gilman

Can I use a brass punch to start it turning?  Or, do I need a special tool?

Thanks

Kevin

logwalker

I use a air impact driver to spin them off. I use to put back on also.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Furby

What about the pounding on the bearings when using an impact wrench?

John Bartley

I use a 3/8"butterfly impact - lots of impacts but not much power. The impacts are rotational, so there's no effect on crank main bearings. When I'm using the impact I don't use any sort of stop in the cylinder - just rely on inertia/momentum, so there's very little effect on the rod bearings. If the butterfly won't do it right away, I lock the piston with a rope and then use a wrench or ratchet with a socket. I wouldn't use an impact with the piston locked - I watched a guy break the top off a cylinder one time doing that.

cheers eh?
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Kevin

If he's asking about a punch I assume he has a drive plate and not a nut.

logwalker

John B. is correct about the rotational force not effecting the bearings. Putting it back on it comes against the dogs on the pull starter and if not careful it would be possible to damage the mechanism. So I barely tighten when going on. But when coming of "Git 'er done". You won't hurt a thing. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Gilman

I have the nut off but was wondering about the clutch.  Is the clutch threaded?

Kevin

Yes the clutch is threaded the same as the nut.

Gilman

Kevin

Don't forget to inspect and grease the bearing.

Thank You Sponsors!