iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band saw vs DL double cut

Started by SDM, December 12, 2007, 10:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDM

hey there, I'm in the process of buying a sawmill. I've looked at WM and Baker, but recently       saw (no pun intended) the DL double cut. Not sure which is best....I own a tree service and                                   have access to lots and lots of logs. Has anyone had any experience w/ the DL? I think they're             based out of Canada. service? dependability? production?....thanks for any advice!                                                            shawn                                                                                                                                                       

LOGDOG

Shawn,

I'd definitely recommend you call and ask them to send you a video if you haven't seen it yet. Very impressive. I just got mine here on monday and have watched it about 5 times already.

LOGDOG

oakiemac

A couple of folks here on the forum have DL's but I cant think of their names. I'm sure they will pipe up before too long. They look like good mills but I have no personal expereince with them. Another brand that is similar (I own one) is the Mobile Dimension sawmill. Take a look at it as well I think they have videos right on their web site.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

MikeH

Maybe take a look at this years sawmill shootout and you will find the woodmizer lt70 smoked the double cut in bdft per hour, but that may be because of the operator? who knows!

Danny Dimm

I' know a couple of guys with the D&L. One fellow gave up on his. The other guy, who I deal with a fair bit, produces very well with his - after he pretty much rebuilt it. Very poorly made. I went to look at a Logosol planer at there factory. {About 100 miles north of where I live]They ran it with dull knives. So I bought mine from Bailey's. I've tried to deal with them a few times and was very unimpressed. Just my experience. Maybe it's changed in the last few years.

Danny Dimm

Check out the swing mills. I think they give the most prodution for the dollar. Sleep good at night after running one all day too!

SDM

Thanks for all the input. I actually looked at a DL about a year ago north of Atlanta. I wasn't too impressed....maybe it was the guy sawing. I also went to the shoot out in SC this year and don't remember seeing a DL there. Almost bought an Lt 40 hd but if got away. I want a sawmill because I like wood and can't stand the idea of all that lumber going to waste.
      Thanks again

Shawn

doublecut

Even though the twin saw is not  for everyone, It has done the  300 customers that have purchased them very well. We have a full line up of mills from our twin saws to Swing blade mills and now some band saws in swingblade frames for specific applications.

As for the previous comment from DD I' m not sure what you are hoping to gain here by your comments. Oh that's right you are a rep for the mill you bought , Wasn't that lucas ? Which would explain the purhase of the planer.
As far as i know our mills are still running and making money.
Just like a vehicle , the one that was bought in 1970 to the one that is bought now they have improved but the older models still keep running and doing what they are supposed to.
P.S - The planer still did a good job.
Doublecut

doublecut

I am not sure what doublecut you are referring to as we were not there! Please explain
Doublecut

doublecut

I guess i got a  too defensive here on the forum and lashed out.
sorry about that
doublecut

Danny Dimm

All the D&L mills I saw were made several years ago. I'm sure the newer oners have been improved upon as theres seem to be more and more of them around.

LOGDOG

Shawn,

I remember a couple years back I had a thread about bandsaws vs. swingmills. I remember one of our members making the statement that people buy different mills for different reasons. That's always stuck in my mind. You have to remember that a sawmill is just a tool. That said you need to match the tool to the job you're trying to accomplish. As to which companies are good. Woodmizer is a great company. I've had 5 of their mills. Baker makes a nice looking mill. I'm also very impressed with Doublecut's mills. I've owned a swinger from another manufacturer and that didn't turn out well. Doublecut has addressed a lot of things that were wrong with the swinger I had. Key point. Doublecut can make you a band or a swinger or both on the same track. Doublecut also has some special tooling that you won't see anywhere else. I won't give it away here but it's pretty awesome stuff and could be a great profit center in the hands of the right man. I'll let Doublecut fill you in if you want to call him.

Plane tickets are cheap. Take the opportunity to go look at the mills you're interested in. Each manufacturer will highlight benefits that they feel their mill has and you can take that and look at how it relates to what you hope to accomplish with the mill. As evidenced from above comments - you can't always take what you read on a Forum to be fact. We'll look forward to seeing what mill you end up buying and lots of pictures of the wood you mill with it.

LOGDOG

Oldsawdust

Every body in the pool  :D  I had to jump in  I have a 10in D&L swingmill  and have built my timber frame dream home with this mill. If I had a problem, D&L took care of It.Most of the time it had more to do with operater than the mill. This mill is very low operating cost and simple to operate.  8) 8) 8)
Help-I'am new at this

Percy

My buddy Julius has a fairly large D&L mill here in town. He has had it as long as I've had my LT70(4.5 years). We both have made a living running our respective mills. Both mills have their strengths and weaknesses. I know his blade costs are cheaper than mine by a longshot. His sawdust pile is larger than mine. I cringe when I have a 38 incher on the mill, he grins with a 46 incher.  I effortlessly turn a log to the best face, Julius, not so much.I could go on till Im blue in the face and would solve nothing. At the end of the day, we are both tired and have a big pile of product.

In my opinion, for what its worth, any mill manufacturer that has been in business for more than a couple of years deserves consideration. I have had two Woodmizers in my 10 years of milling and like them. But Id jump ship in a heartbeat if I found a better tool/mill for my particular application. Brand loyalty is important, worked on me, but reasearch as to what you are going to cut and how much, what will do the best job, what is more flexible(things always change), manufacturer support etc. is also very imortant, especially if the mill is going to be a major source of income for you.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

BCtimber

Looks to me when I drove by the shop where they are made that they are trying to sell out.  Just the shop or the whole thing,  I don't know...

doublecut

Just the shop and land for now as we are looking at a new larger building and property. Need more room to meet the demand .But hey anything is for sale at the right price right.
That makes my wife nervous when i say that, but i told her after 19 years of marriage she is safe. She said that wasn't what she was referring to!!!
OOPS ! Screwed up again. I have to get a T.V for my outside living quarters.
doublecut

Thank You Sponsors!