iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice fishing

Started by farmerdoug, December 12, 2007, 08:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerdoug

It is that time of year again around here.  It has been cold enough this year to start freezing the open water around here.  I  may even get to ice fish by Christmas which has not happened around here for years.  I am hoping to get up to Jeff's for a day of ice fishing this year too. 8)

Has anyone one here been luckly enough to get out icefishing yet this fall?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

thecfarm

I don't ice fish anymore.But I have seen some out on Norcross pond.This is a small pond.I doubt there is much ice,probaly enough,but if I was going I would wait a while yet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

asy

Now, is it just me, or does that sound COLD?  :-\

Seriously, though, just wondering, what species of fish do you catch?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sawguy21

They don't usually catch fish, just a cold. ;D Seriously, ice fishing is very popular here in The Great White North for most common fresh water species. The fish is firm and very tasty from colder water. I enjoy fishing but can't get excited about freezing my butt to a frozen lake. Come on, summer
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

They are out fishing on the lakes here already with more shacks showing up daily. They started a week or so ago, but the ice is still "shaky" and fishermen are being warned to use caution.

Those fishing have been doing well on catches of pike, walleye, perch, and crappie, but the bluegills have been a little slow from what I've been told.
~Ron

Burlkraft

FarmerDoug.........

Good luck gittin' Jeff out on da ice.  He was havin' reservations about goin' out in my portable 2 man shanty  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Burlkraft has a honey hole or getting a mess of bluegills.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

Yeah...and ya can even see the lake from there   :D   :D   :D

farmerdoug

Burlkraft, 

If the ice is not good and thick then I doubt Jeff could get me out there either. ::) :D :D

I walked my share of thin ice in days past but now I am older and wiser besides it takes alot of ice to hold me up.  If am with Jeff then we probably will need alot of ice to hold us up. :o :D :D :D

Besides I would never make Jeff do anything he did not want to do.  But I sure would rass him here about it later though. :-X

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Jeff

Its going to have to quit snowing and get cold or there aint goona be ant safe ice. I think we have lready had more snow then all of last year.

farmerdoug

Jeff,

How much snow do you have on the ground there?  If we have an inch and half we are lucky.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

crtreedude

I would have thought it would have been much easier to just fill up an icetray and stick it in the freezer - or is that not considered sporting?  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

crtreedude

You got to watch them icecubes Tom, they can get really slippery.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

submarinesailor

Fred,

That's because they're 2nd cousins the snow snakes. :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D

Bruce

Onthesauk

A Swede decided he needed something new and different for a winter hobby.
He went to the bookstore and bought every book he could find on ice fishing.

For weeks he read and studied every book, hoping to become an expert in the field. Finally he decided he knew enough, and out he went for his first ice fishing trip.

He carefully gathered up and packed all the tools and equipment needed for the excursion. Each piece of equipment had its own special place in his kit.

When he got to the ice, he found a quiet little area, placed his padded stool, and carefully laid out his tools. Just as he was about to make his first cut into the ice, a booming voice from the sky bellowed, "There are no fish under the ice!"

Startled, the Swede grabbed up all his belongings, moved further along the ice, poured some hot chocolate from his thermos, and started to cut a new hole. Again the voice from above bellowed, "There are no fish under the ice!"

Amazed, the Swede wasn't quite sure what to do, as this certainly wasn't covered in any of his books. He packed up his gear and moved to the far side of the ice. Once there, he stopped for a few moments to regain his calm. Then he was extremely careful to set everything up perfectly -- tools in the right place, chair positioned just so, everything.

Just as he was about to cut this new hole, the voice came again, "There are no fish under the ice!"

Petrified, the Swede looked skyward and asked "Is that you Lord?"

The voice boomed back, "No, this is the manager of the skating rink!"  :)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

sawguy21

You will need to 'splain that one to our southern members. Tom is still scratchin' his pate "What's a skating rink?" :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

Ah shucks, I know what a skating rink is.  I use to go skating all of the time when I was  a kid.  It's a big building with a floor made of wood and you pay them about 50 cents a night and roller skate on it.  They play music too. ;D

farmerdoug

Jeff,  How did you fare with the snow?  Any update on the ice conditions?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Jeff

I was by the lake today and didnt see any shanties. There were a few snowmobile tracks but it looks like they are plowing the snow was so deep. I didnt see where anyone was fishing today.

farmerdoug

That is a bad sign.  ::) I like to see others out on the ice before I go.  I guess I have an aversion to swimming in ice water with alot on winter clothes on. :o  I find it is preferable to just going 'yote hunting.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Tom

Didn't anybody every teach you to tie a 2x4 across your derierre?

I was told that would keep me from falling in.  :P :)

Jeff

Quote from: Tom on December 21, 2007, 12:17:25 AM
Didn't anybody every teach you to tie a 2x4 across your derierre?

I was told that would keep me from falling in.  :P :)

I'll have to instant message you about what that was really for.

Burlkraft

I saw some guy's out on Monona Bay yesterday...fishin' about 3 feet from open water  :o :o :o :o

It was also 36° here yesterday  :o  :o  :o

They're just a news headline waitin' ta happen  ;)  ;)  ;)

farmerdoug

A Darwin award in the making. ::) ;D ;D ;D
Doug
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!