iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm going to Senegal!

Started by RavioliKid, April 27, 2003, 05:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RavioliKid

Hi, all!

I found out last week that I have been selected to take part in a Fulbright study program in Senegal this summer!  8)

We'll be learning/brushing up on French and learning Wolof - one of the native languages - along with studying the culture. We'll be working on lessons to bring back that will incorporate Africa into our regular course work.

We leave in the middle of June and get back in the middle of July.

I am really excited! The doctor's appointments - and the shots - start next week!

SHOTS?!  :o
RavioliKid

Tom

Congratulations, Rav. I've started studying the place already.  Can't see you getting into a militant hot spot. :D

Here's Senegal!

Bro. Noble

Rav,

You'll forget the shots in no time but will always remember this great experience.  Your students will gain from it too.

Tom,

Thanks for the link.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

Rav, what a fantastic opportunity and learning experience! Congratulations on being chosen. Being chosen shows that you are well thought of in your profession.  Be sure to keep a daily log while you are there so you can share your experiences with us. Also, in 5 or 6 years you will enjoy reading about your trip again. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Frank_Pender

Way to go, Rav.  What a great opportunity.   8) You will be able to help make learning come alive in the classroom about the people and their culture.   ;D  Well done, Teach!   You must have some very strong letters of reference and fine standing in your prefessional area.  the idea speaks very highly of your skills and caring for children.  8) Thank you for that.
Frank Pender

Tom

When you get back maybe they'll send you to a really foreign society.....like California. :D :D

Tillaway

Good going Rav!  Take lots of pictures and post them here.

California... I don't know... its quite a culture shock.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Norm

Congrats on being selected Rav, that's quite an honor. Reading Jack O'Connor as a young boy really sparked my interest in Africa. I'm looking forward to pics and stories of your journey.

OneWithWood

Rav, way to go!! 8)  Keep shrinking the world smaller and we will all benefit.
I am sure you will be able to find a link to visit with us while you are there and help us learn with you.
I hope to run into you at the picnic when you come back and hear your wondrous stories. :P
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Texas Ranger

Way to go, Rav!  Gee, a Fulbright.  We gonna get class on this board regardless of JeffB. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bro. Noble

Don,

Just what is it that you're trying to say-----------You think Jeff might be eligable for a 'halfbright' award? ;D

Noble

Jeff

Don Staples When ever you type that name now, it will appear as it should. Up-side-down.

Root power
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

Hmmmmmm. Let me try that.  Don Staples ....... ::)

Yup...it worked :D...  Staples is a sorta topsy turvy kinda guy! ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Those Staples are specialized staples that staples face lifts.  They are Staples staples :).

hydeoutman

Staples selptas Okay how do you guys do it? I'll put my son or daughter on it  ???

hydeoutman

Uh ha!!!!   you rascals, I was working on this for quite a while trying to figure it out. You are sneaky Jeff

chet

Congratulations, Rav.  Dedicated teachers are our future. My youngest son JeffS, a member of this forum, will begin his teaching career this fall. He will be teaching building trades. GO TEACHERS   8)   8)    8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Bro. Noble

We can all probably look back on dedicated teachers that had a very positive influence on us.  

I've taught in Vocational-technical programs (agriculture) and have been able to see some of the terrific work that the building-trades classes turn out.  Jeff should be in for a rewarding future.  He'll have to make sure they use their staples guns carefully :D

Noble

DanG

Congratulations, Rav!!  8) 8)  You teachers are the Staples that hold our way of life together. I look forward to the travel stories becoming Staples on the forum.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

I am being unfairly picked upon, Noble made the half bright comment. :'(

Seems right, tho. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bro. Noble

Don,

He shouldn't get too upset about being half-bright.  ;D   If you remember when George Wallace was running for president and one of his opponents picked up on the fact that he had been declared 10% disabled by the military.  He had a head injury or something that could be taken as being mental which is what the opponent was implying.  Georges response was that he'd like to see some proof that the opponent was 90% sane. :D

If Jeff was too DanG smart,  he wouldn't wanna be hanging out with some of us ;)

Now,  That Bibbyman is the one that I'm worried about------He's going to Texas ON PURPOSE :o

Noble

dail_h

WAY TO GO RAV
   Take lots of pics and have a good time . My youngest (14) daughter went to Zambia last year it was so neat.Don't pay no attention to these buffoons,most of them are just jealous cause they cant find their way home from work---now how was it I was spossed to git ta work?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

RavioliKid

You guys are so sweet! :-*

I'll be sure to take pictures and keep you posted.

And, coming back from Senegal, I might get into a really foreign place - France!

And, a week after I get back in the States, I am going to California. I wonder if I have to get any other shots for that trip? ;)

This is going to be another busy summer!

8) 8) 8)
RavioliKid

Corley5

Sounds like a true adventure!!  Have fun
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Mark M

Hi Ravi

This is really great to go to Senegal, where is dat anyway, is it in Missouri? I've been to Missouri a couple of time but don't remember going to Senegal before.

I was in France once, over by Strasbourg (or Strassburg if your German). The people speak a funny language but they did have a McDonald's so we were right at home. They have a nice old church that looks like they forgot to finish but I think the did it on purpose. If you go there you will see what I mean.

Next time I go to France (when I get over being pithed) I want to go to Mont-Saint-Michel near the border of Brittany and Normandy. They have a nice old church there too that fills up a whole little island.

Have a good trip and send us some pictures.

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!