iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tree disease

Started by Hi-Country Orange, December 11, 2007, 10:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi-Country Orange

I was wondering if anybody has heard of a tree disease called honey fungas, some one was telling me about this affecting trees at there folks place in the U.K., i was just curious
Thanx in advance  Randy

Riles

Yup, Armillaria, fairly common, can be a problem in pine plantations. Not an extensive problem in landscaping, unless it happens to your favorite tree.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Hi-Country Orange

thanx Riles
  is there a fix for the problem??

Riles

Well, the mushrooms are edible.

In general, no, there is no fix once you realize the tree is infected. If you have enough conks to identify the fungus as Honey mushroom, it's probably late in the game. Fungicides are expensive and not always effective. If you're concerned about a specific landscape tree, you can contact one of the larger tree service companies (think arborist, not tree removal) and they can give you better advice.

The rule of thumb for most tree diseases is to promote tree vigor. Ensure adequate water and sunlight, prune dead and diseased parts, mulch, clean up debris, fertilize if appropriate. Obviously some of this works better on landscape trees than timber trees. If this is a timber stand you're worried about, you'll need a forester (your state may have a forest health guy that would inspect it) to give specific advice.

Once you know you have it, the best advice is to try and keep it from spreading.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!