iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The WoodMizer I bought a while back and lots of pics ...

Started by LOGDOG, December 09, 2007, 05:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

I was going to add this to the thread that initially turned me on to this machine. It was the thread about an LT35 I think - I'd have to look. But I figured I'd start a new thread since I have so many sawing pics with this mill. I have to say, it's my 5th WM and it's been a champ. You'll see why in some of the pics to follow. :) This first bunch of pics is a job I'm chipping away at now. It's about 30,000 board feet of Cypress. We're taking it from the log all the way through the moulder. Hope y'all enjoy.

LOGDOG

DR_Buck

Nice looking lumber LOGDOG.    What year is that Mill?  It looks like it's been in the sun a few times.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

gharlan

Great pics LOGDOG. what are you going to be producing from the lumber and what kind of molder?

LOGDOG

Yep it's been in the sun a bit. It's a 1995 though soooo it's allowed to have a little fading right? Well be making T&G paneling  (it's cypress) and from the narrower stuff I'll making casing for doors and windows for the customer. I've sawed several 16' long mantles 8x16, 10x16 type stuff for over their fireplaces. It'll go through the 25" Woodmaster first and then through the Logosol after drying of course.

I better get back to posting pics. I took a break there for just a bit and took the wife back to the pond to go fishing. Caught about 50 bluegills and ran out of light.

LOGDOG

John_Haylow

Looking good. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.Nice to see bare ground instead of 16" of snow.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

LOGDOG

Here's the old girl getting ready to tackle a 38" diameter (14' if I remember right) SInker Cypress log.

LOGDOG

Here's the other end of this bruiser.

ljmathias

Where do you get those beautiful cypress logs?  I'd love to try some for timberframing based on what I learned on the Ladd house in southern Mississippi.  Did you find the cypress easy to cut?  It looks like the ideal wood in some respects, but I have to admit, red oak and SYP are great for what they seem to have been designed for...

Your LT looks a lot like my old LT30 circa 1986.  I haven't put it up for sale yet even though I got a newer (2006) LT40 from a neighbor up the road- one of the forum members made a pertinent observation that once I'd sawed some on the new hydraulic mill, I'd never go back to using the old one.  I thought naively that I'd share the cutting shores between them, but the hydraulics make is  SO easy compared to manual turning and aligning that I haven't cut a log on the LT30 since I got the new one... guess I'll think again about selling it.

Merry Christmas all!  and remember, you don't have to buy a thing to be happy with the family- course they may not be all that happy with you.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

LOGDOG

On this same project you'll notice that some of these Sinker Cypress and Pine logs are hollow. Here's a pictorial on what that means to us sawyers.
This was a shorty. Heart Pine 100% and girthy. I cut him lengthwise with the chainsaw until I reached through into the hollow center. Then I raised him up with the forklift and dropped him about 25' onto his back and he unfolded just like a peach leaving me this present:

So once you're looking at this trash, mud, rocks, etc. then you need to do this:

Which gives you this:

and then to the saw. I wanted to quartersaw this dude cuz he was sweet, dense heartwood all the way:

and then down to this after a few steps:

These were about 12" wide vertical grain sinker heart pine. Doesn't come much sweeter in the south.  8) Gotta go make dinner. Back in a flash.

LOGDOG

LOGDOG

We find these logs in special fishin' holes.  :) The sinkers anyway. If it's the blonde cypress from up top in the post I can get you a good bit of that readily. And you're right, it is super nice wood to deal with. I could ramble but if I don't go make dinner my wife may attack! Back in a bit. Lots more pics coming too. I've got this pic thing down now. I owe the forum lots of pics after a period of not posting them. Shame on me.  :-[

LOGDOG

LOGDOG

That big 14'er up above was big enough I had to saw him like a stop sign starting here.

and then to here... really pretty wide open face. Might be hard to tell with these minimized pics.

Here's a closer shot:

LOGDOG

Haytrader

She may be faded but sure looks like ya got er tuned up good.
;)
Haytrader

LOGDOG

Trust me when I say this Haytrader. This lil mill has been my most profitable mill ever. Part of what helped that is a low cost basis. But the first thing I did when I got it was go through it end to end and replace anything and everything that needed it. After that she was tight and right and has been making chips like a champ since.  :) These pics give you an idea what I've asked her to tackle. When you lay a 38" sinker log up on there and she takes it apart like it's just another log you just have to stand back and grin.  ;)

LOGDOG

LOGDOG

This big log yielded some really nice wide boards. The flitches were actually a tad wider than what I'll show you here. I was maxing out the throat on my WM. That's a 24" level on top of the boards.

LOGDOG

and

Haytrader

I could tell you were proud of how she is slicein boards, and rightfully so.

How many mills did you say you have had?
Are you a trader too?  Heaven forbid. Another wife out there that says...."Wonder what he will drag home today"

:D
Haytrader

thecfarm

Very interesting sawing and stories.Always like to hear about some good sawing.Keep the pictures coming and the stories.I don't have to go make dinner for my wife,but I'll be back.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LOGDOG

Haytrader ... you made me laugh out loud. I've been accused of bein' a wheeler dealer a time or two. I honestly don't know where they get that idea.  :D 8) Takes one to know one right?  :) In answer to your question ...I've had 5 Woodmizers, 1 Logmaster (briefly), 1 Peterson ASM, and 1 old American circle saw wayyyy back that didn't last long enough to hardly mention.

LOGDOG

LOGDOG

Here's some pics of the lumber that came out of this lot of logs. I cut a little over 23,000 feet of 4/4.

Check out those 20" wide cypress boards in that top right stack above.  ;)

And there ya' go.

LOGDOG

thecfarm

Someone is fussy with thier placements of stickers.That is good.Lumber stacked very neatly.All that sold?Nice place to dry lumber in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AusLJW

I noticed the JCB All Terrain Forklift in your pictures.  I've got one to help the LT40 and edger.  Probably the best money I have spent on my milling operation.  It is one reliable, hard working, sturdy machine.  Would you agree. Thinking (dreaming) of moving up to Telescopic boom machine but think I would miss the masted fork.

LOGDOG

AusLJW,

You're right, those JCB's are great stout little machines. Once you own a telescopic though I doubt you'll ever want to be with out one. I have a big Pettibone too which you can see in my gallery. It's extremely strong and the boom is able to extend forward. I have a log grapple on it now but need to add a mast here before long. I also want to fabricate a jib for it to pick and set beams, etc.

LOGDOG

LOGDOG

I just wanted to mention some of the reasons I wanted to post this thread and all the pics (and there will be more pics). Of course, we all like pics in threads so that's one reason. And I kinda wanted to let y'all know what we've been up to over here. But the biggest reason is I wanted to show anyone interested that you don't have to spend $25,000.00 to $40,000.00 on a new mill to be able to cut lots of good lumber day in and day out. As long as the manufacturer of a used mill is still in business and parts and service are readily available there's no reason to be shy about buying a used mill - even if it is a little "faded".  :) Don't get me wrong I've had new ones too, and they're sweet when they're all shiny and crisp. But I know we have a broad range of folks who are members and some just readers. Buying a good used mill may just be your best bet to a low overhead business plan. Time to get ready for work.

LOGDOG

woodmills1

NICE!

sure looks a lot like my 95 LT 40

1700 hrs on the onan, any carbon problems?  I use mid grade gas in mine and havent had carbon probs since 800 hrs

see if you can find a local carb rebuild shop cause you will need one.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

LOGDOG

No carb problems yet. I run an additive in my fuel to help keep things cleaned out. I do have a great small engine guy though. He's a total whiz and gives me same day turn around. In return I bring him hickory smoke wood from off my farm when I lose a tree to a storm. He can't do enough for me.  :)

LOGDOG

slider

Great pictures logdog,I thought I was looking at my place there for a minute .I just finished a 42x30 open shelter .I am adding a 35x42 onto the side for storage soon.   Boys it's nice to be working out of the sun.You sure don't see much cypress that wide. slider
al glenn

TexasTimbers

All that wood is impressive. You must cut from sunup to sundown every once in a while. Is all that a mixture of inventory, personal use, custom orders awaiting pickup? Everytime I see piles of wood like that I think I would not want that much wood in one place without some fire protection. Of course it is probably not going to be hanging around long enough, to get dry enough to be a fire hazard hopefully.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!