iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

engine keeps dying

Started by woodbeard, December 09, 2007, 11:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

This is the 24 horse Honda I put on my Woodmizer lt30hd this past summer.

It's gotten so whenever I operate the hydraulics or up/down and feed motors, it bogs way down, and often just dies. This is a problem that has been getting progressively worse. If I close the choke a bit, I can usually keep it going. It seems to get a little better when I charge up the battery, but not for long.
It also tends to backfire when running at full speed with no load.
Any idears?  ???

Tom

That's a good symptom of your alternator going away.  You can get them rebuilt a lot cheaper than buying a new one at a Automotive Electric shop.  You might even swap it for a rebuilt at a Discount Auto type place.

While running the engine,  measure from plus to minus terminals and you should be getting 13 or 14 volts.  If it is 12 or less, then the generator isn't genning or the Alternator isn't alting.  ;D

woodbeard

Well, my voltmeter must be screwy, cause it's reading 36v across the battery terminals.  ::) It's just a cheapo anyway. I'l see if I can find a working one tomorrow.

rockchucker

I know it is kind of basic but is there a fuel filter on it?  Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.  Check your air filter and fuel filter.
-Cory

John_Haylow

When my motor was acting up this summer I found the O rings on the quick connect for the fuel tank had deteriorated. Just a thought.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Don_Papenburg

I will go with fuel also .  when you are chargeing the batt it gives the fuel time to seep into the carb so that you have a full shot to start out and then it slowly gets behind till you pull the choke.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

sawguy21

The Honda has a magneto so a charging system problem will not cause ignition issues. The battery is only used to start it. The fuel system has to be spotlessly clean and no free water.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

MartyParsons

If you find it is the alternator. The replacement is a 105 amp if this has not been done already. You will need to purchase a new mounting for alternator, or have a grinder to make room for the larger housing on the 105 amp alternator. The original alternator was a 61 amp. I am not sure what revision this took place so you may want to check and see.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

olyman

if you have to pull the choke--fuel problem--fuel filter ahead of carb??? plugged??? or--the wonderful gas we have now--did set for more than one month???--had that happen--and carb partially varnished!!!!  ran the engine for a while with gasahol--cleaned it---or piece of trash in carb--and doesnt need to be very big to cause a problem--

woodbeard

Ok, that all makes a lot of sense, which probably explains why I didn't think about it before. I guess if it was a spark problem, pulling the choke would just make it worse.

Marty, I upgraded the alternator a while back. It's a real mongrel of a mill, it had the new engine platform and bracket, but a 61 amp alt. in it.

woodbeard

Pulled the carb off and opened it up, clean as a whistle. Never seen one cleaner. Fuel filter seems good too, but cheap as they are, I'll replace it anyway.
:-\

slider

woodbeard on my old onan,when it would misfire a high speed I usually found a piece of trash inside the main jet .hard to see but this happened to me more than once.  slider
al glenn

ely

woodbeard, i have a 20 hp honda that has done the same thing all day yesterday. the only thing i can tell is when the temp gets down to 34 or 35 it starts doing that dying after every cut deal.

if the tank gets real low while the temp is warm it does the same thing.

i have heard/read maybe on here or another site that the honda engines are not jetted properly for colder temps, it is not that they are not jetted for colder temps, it is that they are jetted to pass restrictions on engines for california and they will not run correctly in the cooler temps.

seems someone said you have to increase the main jet with a certain size wire drill . i wish i had saved all that info now. ::)

logwalker

At that temperature it might be icing in the carburator. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

woodbeard

Mine's doing it at 60 degrees.
Icing in the carburetor? Shouldn't be eating cake that close to it. ;D

Tom

Have you tried talking to it in Japanese?  Maybe it just doesn't understand.  :-\

submarinesailor

Now Tom, play nice.  Don't you know we are all worldly brothers?  NOT!!!!

Bruce

mike_van

Sounds just too lean - Not enough gas there when it needs it the most. Good for fuel economy, bad for running the hydraulics. I don't know Honda's, but if it was fine before, and now isn't, gotta be something blocking the fuel path, it's just starving.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

woodbeard

I'm not sure what all I said to it, but some of it sounded japanese. The remainder was mostly klingon, I think.

Carb seems fine, so maybe fuel pump? Any idea how to test one? It seems to run off crankcase pressure via a rubber tube.

Coon

T
Take a can of carb cleaner and spray it at the ends of the hose while the engine is running.  If the engine seems to level out whiile it burns the carb cleaner then you have a vaccuum leak. ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

rockchucker

Try running a dose of SeaFoam through it.  You can get it at your local parts house.  A little in the gas.  A little in the oil before you plan to change it.  Some down the carb until it dies.  Sounds weird but it will clean up a lot of stuff.  After you let it sit for about 7 minutes then fire it back up.  She will smoke like hell but that is all of the carbon deposits getting flushed out.  I use it on every engine I own from dirt bikes to my truck and cars.  Hope it helps.
-Cory

rebocardo

I had this happen the other day running a wood chipper. I figured out it was the gas.

bigmillman

Have you checked the fuel lines to make certain they have not swollen nearly shut.  I have had this happen many times...if the hose is real soft it could be swollen.  Do you have a filter in the gas tank?  If it runs good with the choke pulled out it is going to be something related to the fuel or carb.  To clean the carb, take it apart, take spray carb cleaner and spray in all passages making certain the fluid comes out somewhere else.  Something small can cause lots of fuel problems.  If what I have mentioned does not help (all that I said is cheper than replacing the fuel pump), then I would move to the fuel pump.

Hope this helps!
Stacey Freeman
www.freemansmill.com

Paul_H

bigmillman,

welcome to the forum,I really enjoyed your website. :)

http://www.freemansmill.com/
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

bigmillman

Many Thanks!

Stacey Freeman
www.freemansmill.com

Thank You Sponsors!