iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Walnut Chest-of-Drawers

Started by WDH, December 09, 2007, 12:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

My sister has a crappy, particle board chest-of-drawers that is falling apart.  She asked me how much it would cost for me to build her one.  I told her the cost of the pulls, and the plywood for the drawer bottoms, dust panels, and the back (about $160 in materials not counting the wood).  She insisted that she pay me, but I refused since she could not afford what it would cost to have one built.  It will be my Christmas present to her for being such a loving sister. 

I asked her what kind of wood, and she said it didn't matter, something more darker than light.  So, I decided to build her one as nice as I could build using my favorite wood, walnut.

I really enjoy it when FF members post about their projects and show the steps as the project comes about.  I always learn something.  Several that come to mind are Qweaver and Raider Bill's building projects and Swamp Donkey's butternut and ash night table, but there are many more that I have seen on the Forum.  So, here goes!  This is where I am at this point in time.

Drawers:  I built the drawers first.  Each drawer front is a single board, and they graduate in size from 10" on the bottom to 6" on the top.  I decided to use yellow poplar for the sides to reduce the weight of the drawers.  The drawer fronts are 3/4" thick and the sides are 5/8" thick.  The bottoms are 1/4" oak plywood because I like how it looks.  The bottom sits in a groove in the drawer front and sides

The drawer front is attached to the sides with half-blind dovetails cut using a Leigh Dovetail jig.  I could have cut them by hand, but I am not out to prove anything :).  The jig is very accurate, and once you have the set up, it is pretty fast.  Here is a pic of dovetailing process cutting the tails on the drawer side boards:

Here is a completed drawer showing the nice contrast between the walnut and the poplar:

In most of the construction, I figured on having a partner to help me, but you just can't get good help these days ;D .....  Miss Scarlet recuperating from her ACL surgery on her left rear knee:

Glueing up the drawers:

Here is a shot of the completed drawer bank just stacked one on top of the other showing the graduation in size:

Here is a shot of the frame with the dust panels that separate the drawers,and a little closer view of the dust frames.  The dust frames are attached to the side via a dado.  The dust panel frame is grooved to accept the plywood, and the frames are joined with pocket screws and glue. 

Here is a shot of the drawers just slid in the chest.  I have not made the drawer guides yet.    The drawer guides will be a center guide made from walnut. 

A long way to go yet!!!  A lot of sanding!!!  I have yet to make the top. Then, lots of sanding :).

I used a very simple design, some simple curves, and the drawers have a beaded lip.  The top will have a matching beaded edge.  The pulls will be antique brass from Horton Brasses (The pulls alone cost $90, but they are really fine and beautiful, worth every penny.  A fine piece of furniture deserves something more than a cheap Box Store pull ::)).  When fine sanded, it should finish out nice.

I could get more done if I did not enjoy the Forestry Forum so much :) ::) :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

That's a nice project Danny, and it seems to be progressing well.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Don K

Looking good Danny. I can't wait to get my shop built.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Norm

Beautiful!

Thank you for showing us novice woodworkers how it's done.  :)

SwampDonkey

Lovely work WDH. Love the walnut to. I like the idea of the dust panels, if nothing else it will keep your sister from crinkling her jammies in the drawer below. ;D Most are open in the factory made stuff and are a pain in the butt.

Now, the centre walnut guide your going to use, is it beveled at 45° so the top is wider than the bottom edge? You can get a plastic guide (sacralage  :-X ) that is mounted under the drawer and rides down the guide on your dust panel. I see them on factory chest of drawers. I guess we'll soon see what you come up with.  8)

Wish I had one of those dovetail jigs. I was just noticing your clamps, I need to get me a set. ;)

The old dog is just enjoying life.   :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

That's really nice, WDH! 8)

It's great when a project stops looking like a pile of boards, isn't it? :D  The "lot's of sanding" part is usually where I take a holiday, errr, I mean break from the project.  I just don't look forward to it. :(  That walnut is going to sparkle when you get it finished up!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

pigman

Looking good Danny. 8)  You make it look so easy and simple. ;)  I suppose the fine help you have is the secret. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

shopteacher

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

WDH

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 09, 2007, 07:30:45 AM
Now, the centre walnut guide your going to use, is it beveled at 45° so the top is wider than the bottom edge? You can get a plastic guide (sacralage  :-X ) that is mounted under the drawer and rides down the guide on your dust panel. I see them on factory chest of drawers. I guess we'll soon see what you come up with.  8)

Wish I had one of those dovetail jigs. I was just noticing your clamps, I need to get me a set. ;)

The old dog is just enjoying life.   :)

The drawer guide has two parts......the female guide that is 1/2" thick and attached to the bottom of the drawer is about 2" wide and has a 1/2" wide 1/4" deep dado running down it.  The dado is not beveled.  The male part of the guide is about 7/16" wide by 1/4" high so that it will ride in the dado on the drawer part of the guide.  The male part is attached to the dust panel.  I have found that the fit needs to be a little sloppy.  You would think that it would need to be tight with a close tolerance, but not so.   You need to be able to wiggle the drawer around a little bit when you push the drawer from side to side, otherwise, natural tension as the wood moves with changing humidity will make the drawer hard to open and close.  The way that you know that you have it right is when you can grab just on of the pulls on one side, and with one hand, open and close the drawer smoothly...Don't ask me how I know this ::).

By the way, I love those clamps.  They are essential if you need to glue up square.  If everything fits like it should, the clamps will square up a box or case as you tighten them.  I have 14 of them and need more :D.  They make nice Christmas presents.....................

Pigman, that fine help inspires me :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Glad to see you and Miss Scarlet spending some quality time together :)...give her an extra bone for me.

The chest is lookin good...you gonna have to work OT to get it done by Christmas?

Think I'm making drawer guides similar to yours...take a picture or two so maybe we can compare notes.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Patty

Very nice!  Walnut is my favorite, and yours is especially beautiful. Your sister is going to be so happy!  You are a good brother.  ;)

My favorite part of a project is the finishing. I don't do so well with the carpentry side of it yet. We are working on improving that tho!  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

thecfarm

Wow,is what I said when I saw it.That is going to look some nice.Looking forward to more pictures.She is going to like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Radar67

Danny, which Leigh jig are you using, the super or the D4? And what length?

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

WDH

Stew,

It is the D4R.  Can handle a panel 24" wide.

Radar67

I watched a video on that jig and was wondering what type of fastener holds the guides down? Is it a torx head, phillips head, or something else?

WDH

The guide fingers are held down with square drive screws.

getoverit

Very nice looking work! I'm sure sis will be thrilled when she sees that one!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

sawguy21

That will get passed down in the family for sure. Beautiful work, I am sure you get spoiled a little more at Christmas 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

Quote from: Patty on December 10, 2007, 07:40:48 AM
Very nice!  Walnut is my favorite, and yours is especially beautiful. Your sister is going to be so happy!  You are a good brother.  ;)

My favorite part of a project is the finishing. I don't do so well with the carpentry side of it yet. We are working on improving that tho!  :)

OK Patty, I am getting close to the finishing part.  Hard to finish stuff when it is cold, and my shop is not heated :-[.  I wish I could hand off the finishing part to you ;D.

I have not made as much progress as I had hoped given everything that has been transpiring around me.  However, I have done the first sanding, two more grits to go.  Then, I hope for a warmer day with low humidity for the finishing part ::).

SwampDonkey

Time to move into the house shop.  ;D Working in a cold damp shop is misery. It seems the wood is so cold on the fingers. burr!
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

WDH, sorry I can't help you out on the cold weather...we are expecting a blizzard here today and the temp is dropping like a rock. When I woke up this morning it was 30°, now it is 20°, and we expect it to drop to single digits by this afternoon, accompanied with freezing rain, snow and 40 mph winds.  ::)     I don't have a heated shop either, we are in the midst of finishing a new shop at the farm and getting moved out of the old shop that we built last year.

With that being said, I still would be happy to help out with your finish work. Just pack up the truck and haul it up here to the great white north! I will put it in the line with the 20 or so other projects I have started.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WDH

Patty,

I am in Louisianna today, and it is 70 degrees and rather humid.  I sweated walking the swamp today :).  I will stand in your line for that finish work ;D.

metalspinner

WDH

Covington, LA.  Just northof New Orleans, across Lake Ponchatrain.

metalspinner

Thank You Sponsors!