iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how do I use a bench top sharpener?

Started by sunriseseamless, December 07, 2007, 05:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunriseseamless

I bought a used chain sharpener, (the bench top type that has a 4 or 5" disk with preset angles and you lower it into the teeth), but have had problems.  I tried it out and the chain jumped and it broke the grinding disk.  I purchased a new disk, tried to be much more careful keeping the chain tight, etc, and broke that disk, too.  I consider myself good with tools but can't figure out what to do differently.  Suggestions?

Steve

Daren

Got a picture ? I bet you are missing a part, the chain should not come loose.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

mike_van

It should have a clamp for the rails where the chain rides, mine is an Effco, you can see it in the pic. 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

sawguy21

Are you using the proper clamp for the chain you are grinding? Something is not right here, a good grinder will hod the chain in position.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sunriseseamless

Here's a picture.  (We couldn't get the pict small enough to post so my son made a link)   http://noblesse-oblige.org/zair/stihlsharpener.jpg
I think I might have found my mistake.  There is a lever with a cam that tightens right where the tooth to be sharpened is.  I'm guessing I overlooked it when I made my first two attempts.
This is a Stihl sharpener.

beenthere

Size the picture by longest length less than 400 pixels, then save.  If you try to reduce just the file size, doesn't work.  :)

Looks like (in your pic) that the chain is loose, and not tight on the holding rail.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!