iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rolled in saw tension

Started by bandmiller2, December 07, 2007, 04:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Have any of you guys tensioned a headsaw or a swing saw blade by rolling??Just looked at the Armstrong site seems like a clever lad could make a tension roller, kinda like an english wheel on steroids.They claim the blade can be leveled and tensioned.From what I can see they use a convex and concave rollers.Seems like manufactures would have to have something fast and repeatable to turn out blades.Thanks Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bigmillman

I have used a couple saw shops that have tensioned my head saws with a roller as you describe.  The saw man that I have been using for a while now can hammer in tension just as well as the roll does, in my opinion.  If I remember correctly, the roll tensioner is a very heavy machine capable of withstanding the stress of tensioning the blade.

Stacey Freeman

LOGDOG

Bandmiller2,

It only takes a few minutes to roll tension into a blade once a guy knows what he's doing. Much less violent and noisy than hammering. Plus you don't end up with hammer marks all over the face of your blade. As opposed to making one, I'd look at watching the auction circuit for mills. If they have their own saw shop there's likely one in there that you could buy on the cheap depending on the number of bidders.

LOGDOG

Thank You Sponsors!