iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ivan Bo and the American Chestnut

Started by Jeff, December 07, 2007, 09:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Ivan Bo is one of our most senior, if not thee most senior of our Forestry Forum members and the father of member Nancbee.

I'm very proud to be able to share this clip and note sent to me by Nancy. If you have dial up, take the time to download the video clip. You will be glad you did.

Nancy, thank you for the clip and the opportunity for us to see it, and many many thanks to Ivan for his work and dream towards once again seeing the proud American Chestnut growing all over this land.

That's my Dad, Ivan Bo, (Ivan Booker) 97 years old on his quest for the revitilization of the American Chestnut. This was shot by my cousin who happens to have his own video business here in Maine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjlUQqGQ3PU

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ronwood

Jeff,

Neat clip  Hope some day Ivan dream will be realized.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Dangerous_Dan

Where can I get some so I can plant them at my place?
DD
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Jeff

I have the same question, and whether they would grow on my property and soil type.  :)

Roxie

My brother has been trying to find American Chestnut for years.  He converted a one room school house into a home, and the schools name was Chestnut Grove.  He would go just about anywhere to get a real American Chestnut. 
Say when

pappy

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Jeff

I believe that by joining The American Chestnut Foundation, its members are presented with the opportunity to purchase seeds and seedlings as a benefit of membership.
http://www.acf.org

Nancbee

There are state chapters of the American Chestnut Foundation all over the country. Check out the website from Jeff's link.

As my Dad said, when he was 7 or 8 years old he would fill his pockets with nuts on his way to school in Fairfield, Maine and munch all day. It is possible to bring them back. Now I call him Johnny Chestnut seed! He's pretty amazing even if he is my Dad.

Nancbee
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

scgargoyle

Ummm- It says the video is no longer available??
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Nancbee

OH, NO! IS THERE A TIME LIMIT ON YOUTUBE? I'll talk to my cousin, the filmmaker and see what I can do!

Nancy

(It's displayed again, Nancy)
admin
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager

farmerdoug

Nancbee,

You should get your father in touch with Professor Dennis Fulbright at Michigan State University Forestry department. 

He has some good news on the chestnuts.  He has managed to inoculate a grove of chestnuts on the west coast of Michigan and they are doing good now. 8)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

I hope Nancbee gets the video back up. I never had a chance to see it. I have always heard on radio talk shows and forestry gatherings about the American chestnut. Some of them talk as if it grew up here. I don't believe it ever grew in New Brunswick, but it may have been in the Lake Michigan-Lake Ontario area of Ontario. I'm surprised it wasn't in southern Quebec, if it grew in southern Maine. But, so much of that region has been cleared to farmland, that remnants may have been deforested years ago. I'd like to try a Maine cultivar if I could get some improved seed.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dale Hatfield

I have the pleasure of looking after # 1 and 2 of the Ohios largest Chestnut trees. Growing of  all places in an alley in the power lines. Have the world again them as well as a homeowner that hates them for the mess they make. The odd thing about them  is that the 2 trees next to them are a pair of Butternuts. They are getting almost as rare in these parts. Getting nuts is no problem. Beating the bugs  and critter to em is.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

SwampDonkey

Yeah I guess one has to be careful with the butternut canker spores being on the nuts. I have thought about it recently, and I don't want any gift of nuts from anywhere near butternut trees. It's a wonder that canker hasn't gone to walnut. That'll be next.   :(

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nancbee

There is a new link to youtube that my cousin sent to me in an email. I'm not sure how to get it posted here. Anyone want to help me, send me a message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjlUQqGQ3PU
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager

Jeff

Nancy, simply copy and paste the linkhere in your post. the forum will ormat the link. Im on my phone so cant really do it for you but any of the admins can help.

Nancbee

Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager

scgargoyle

Great video! Makes me want to devote some of my SC land to American Chestnut, if they'll grow there.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

SwampDonkey

Glad you got the video restored Nancbee. Looks like your dad is doing what he loves and takes a real interest in how his chestnuts are doing on other people's property. He'll probably be known as Chestnut Man by all those Mainers. ;)

cheers

Dave Shepard

I ran into someone at the market today who is trying to save an old timber frame barn. In the course of conversation, he mentions he is working with the American Chestnut Foundation to develop a disease resistant variety of castanea dentata. He has a small nursery with about 150 seedlings that will be crossed with other hybrids. I believe he said that they are crossing it with chinese chestnut. He said there are three other nurseries in MA that he is working with on this project. He is only about 15 minutes away, so I may get a chance to help out with the project. 8)j

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

We were cleaning up some old sheds this weekend.  There was an old veneer table in bad repair in one of the the open sheds.  The veneer was peeling off, and the table was broken and done for.  I peeled the old veneer off in preparation for burning the parts, and much to my surprise, the substrate of the top was american chestnut 8).  What a diamond in the rough!

There were about four 6" boards that made up the table top.  I need to make a large frame for my youngest daughter's senior picture....Now, I have found the perfect wood for it 8) 8) 8).

I am excited!  I love chestnut.

This one is for you, Mr. Ivan.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Good find Danny. I've seen Norm use some reclaimed old Chestnut. It is a beautiful rare wood. If you have any scraps left send a little on the Penwood Express and I'll make you a pen.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Wenrich

The basics behind the cross breeding is that they have several designated American chestnut trees.  These are used mainly for their pollen.  Each year, volunteers will go out and put plastic bags around the chestnut flowers and collect pollen.  It usually involves the use of a crane, and really good access.  Here's my understanding of the process.

Orchards are started out with the Chinese variety.  When they get to nut bearing size, they are crossed with the American chestnut.  That give the offspring a 50/50 American to Chinese. 

These nuts are then put in another orchard.  When they get to nut bearing size, the blight is introduced.  Those that survive have blight resistance.  They are then cross pollinated with the American chestnut.  The next generation is 75/50 with blight resistance.

Again, they are put in another orchard.  The blight is introduced and the survivors get cross bred with the American to give a 83/17 mix. 

One final orchard, using the same process and you come up with a 90/10 mix.  It should have high blight resistance and predominately America characteristics.

I've been a member of the Chestnut Foundation for a number of years.  I have yet to be contacted about any trees.  I'm thinking the state is going to get first crack, along with some really old members.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

nsmike

I believe that 2010 is the magic date for availability. I read a news release that the first of the seed prodction for realease groves was being planted. I think it was in the Chestnut Foundation's new release archive. Initial releases were to be to members.
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!