iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GO609 griz jointer

Started by Handy Andy, December 06, 2007, 06:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handy Andy

I'm looking at ordering a  12" parallelagram jointer, want the helical cutterhead, and they have a griz head as well as the Byrd available.  Costs extra for the Byrd.  Anyone have one and can give me a review?  Thanks, Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

David Freed

I have never used the Byrd cutterhead, but eveything I have read or heard about it is that it is the best you can get.   David

Greg

I have a small, cheap 6" delta portable/bench jointer, which for the most part does what I need for the small lumber/jobs I throw at it. Maybe a $200 machine. (I actually traded it for a small window air conditioner, so I don't know for sure). It has 2 knives.

With planers and jointers, I've seen terms before like paralellogram and sprial head, helical cutters, but I have to confess that I really don't know exactly what those things mean.

And I've never of a "griz head".

Anyone care to elaborate on this terminology?

Greg

Handy Andy

I was refering to the Grizzly factory spiral cutterhead, that is available.  It is similar to a Byrd helical cutterhead, except that the cutters set square to the cutter instead of angled as the Byrd  also known as a shelix, as for shear and helical.  Just wondered if anyone has the Grizzly 12" parallelagram jointer model GO609 with whatever cutter who could write a review.  Need to make a purchase before December is over.  Jim

Kcwoodbutcher

There was a discussion about this in another forum a couple a weeks ago. What it all came down to was yes the shelix head was ever so slightly better in most respects ( according to the president of grizzly ) but it probably isn't worth the extra bucks for the head or a little higher priced insert. I'm also looking at that jointer, let me know what you think of it when it shows up.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

scsmith42

I have a 16" Grizzly jointer with their replaceable insert, spiral cutterhead.  No complaints or problems with it.  It leaves a great finish, is quiet and smooth.

It's about 4 years old.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Handy Andy

Scott, that's what I'd like to get, but it's about 3000$ more than the 12".

woodbeard

I have the 8" paralellogram jointer from Grizzly, with the regular 4 knife head, and it is very nice.

scsmith42

Andy, I was lucky - it was more affordable back then before metal prices skyrocketed!

It sure does a nice job though.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Handy Andy

My new jointer showed up yesterday.  Got it in the shop and partly cleaned up, then today hooked up the dust collector and power and tried it out this evening.  The first thing, I put my framing square across the middle and checked to see if the tables are level, and the square rocks ever so slightly.  Before adjusting, I just tried it.  And it edge jointed just great, so tried a board flat. And it was just great.  And no snipe! My old one sniped every board. Don't know if I should try to adjust it, worked so good.  Jim

metalspinner

Andy,
Your square might not be perfectly flat.  I would trust the jointer table over the framing square. ;)  I'm jealous of your new jointer.  I want a big one badly. :'(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Don_Papenburg

Go ahead an order your new jointer :D  no one hear will give you any greif for doing so.  We all want you to have a new jointer also ;D ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Handy Andy

Thanks guys, going to have fun with it.  Jim

Thank You Sponsors!