iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Now I have a question for you northerners.

Started by SwampDonkey, December 05, 2007, 04:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Ok, maybe a couple.

How many have an unheated shed or garage that they keep a freezer in?

How many people keep that freezer plugged in during the winter (Dec-March) when it's already freezing cold out?

Why pay for cooling power with an abundance of free cold air?

:D :D :D

Now how many of you are going to forget to plug the freezer back in this April?  ::) ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

We use to have a freezer in an unheated shed for years.

Here in the United States they build our freezers with what is called a "Thermostat" so we don't need to unplug the freezers as they only kick on when the internal temp starts to rise.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stump Jumper

are you still dizzy from being upside down and backwards  ;D :D ::)
why unplug if the thermostat is doing its job
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

sawguy21

Jeff, our freezers have thermostats too, at least here in the west.  :D The New Brunswickers are probably still using ice boxes. :P
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

SD
I'm two 3 responses too late....buy yeah....why unplug?  ;D ;D ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I figured anything with a cord to a power outlet draws power.  ;D :D

Good for a laugh anyway.

So what powers the thermostat? ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

isawlogs

There is something else other then an ice house ...  ??? :o :o :P :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Jeff on December 05, 2007, 05:27:36 PM
A thermo spring

:D :D :D :D

But now, they don't want you to put your freezer in an unheated space, apparently the refrigerant that is used now can't take the cold. ??? ::) ??? ??? ::)  >:(

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Warbird

sawdust

Why have a freezer? An old Pontiac has a locking trunk and lots of space.
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

SwampDonkey

Jeff

I should have said "Thermal" spring.  which is the mechanism that opens and closed the points within the thermostat.

Warbird

Ah, well you only have to wind that one every OTHER day.  :D

SwampDonkey

There was a reason I wasn't an appliance repair man. ;D

Coon

I found a good use for an old FORD 3/4 ton with camper.  Yup my winter freezer.  Gotta have some place to store my deer meat.... :D :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

sawguy21

Definitely cold enough in Saskatchewan at the moment.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

estiers

Screened in porch worked just fine for my family.  Alwyas made leftover Thanksgiving food easier to deal with...  And, Coke Icees!  Maybe that is why I have not tried cooking the big bird since I've been on my own.  Not enough room in the fridge!
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

SwampDonkey

Yeah mom always used the shed to store Christmas cooking and leftover turkey. Gotta make sure the critters can't get at it though. ;D

slowzuki

My freezers outside too and the thermostat works but the autodefrost on the coils seems to run on a timer or something.  I'll hear it kick on and start creaking and poping when I'm in the shop.

fuzzybear

Freezer sits outside all winter long...UNPLUGED. It's colder than the freezer can freeze.
Actually we have 4 freezers. 2 actually work. :D  2 are just for winter storage of moose and carabou.
In the spring we rearange the food so it fits into the 2 that work. What ever meat is left gets put into the smokehouse and turned into dried meat. :)
And yes I always plug it back in when the temp hits -5c, too easy to forget when you start feeling warm again at that temperature :D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

SwampDonkey

I know my furnace thermostat draws power when nothing is running. I can hear a constant hum. But there are two different thermostats. One kicks the fan in when the temperature in the chamber gets hot enough and the other up stairs kicks in the oil furnace or opens the draft on the wood furnace when the temp is below 60. ;D

Jeff

To be fair, if you have a frost free freezer, you should probably unplug it for it to run right or turn off the defrost timer. A frost free freezer will draw electricity because it has two thermostats.  One that kicks on the heater to melt the frost if it gets to cold, and one that kicks the compressor on if it gets to warm. Neither thermostat require electricity as they are what turn the electricity on via what I called a thermal spring. A bi-metal spring that either coils and uncoils or changes shape and size in relation to temperature in order to switch the electrical contacts on or off.

If you run a frost free freezer in sub freezing weather, the drain pan will freeze and back up. Usually that water is dissipated by when the compressor fan blows warm air off the compressor and over the drain water.

beenthere

SD
You are prolly hearing the transformer/relay buzzing...Jeff explained the thermostat well....it closes and opens contacts without any help from electricity...just changing temps.  :)

Good thing you are on this forum so you can learn a lot....as we also learn a lot from you.. ;) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

beenthere and Jeff, Yup.  ;)

On my thermostat upstairs I notice it is controlled by mercury behind the casing. When you slide the switch, or the temperature goes down, that mercury makes contact so current flows to control the damper or oil burner. The tube of mercury is on a spring as well as the temp needle you read on the face plate.

How accurate and reliable is a dang spring?  One bend out of shape spring and I could freeze to death. :D

Jeff

I love then mercury switches.  :)  They can be used for all kinds of fun things. :)

WH_Conley

Bill

Furby

My fridge/freezer is in the cold (unheated) part of the house and the freezer doesn't work right all winter.
Probly due to being frost free. ::)
Too moch trouble to mess with it, so I just don't keep much in it. :)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WH_Conley on December 06, 2007, 06:02:11 PM
Most of the good "fun things" go BOOM. :D

Been throwing aerosol cans in the incinerator again?  :D

isawlogs

I alos have four freezers , three that work , all are for food .  ;D   Three for us ... one for the barn pals .  :D  It was working till last fall , then this spring it never fired back up upon plugging her in ...   It got promoted to grain , rabit food and corn storage  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

olyman

Quote from: Jeff on December 06, 2007, 05:39:35 PM
I love then mercury switches.  :)  They can be used for all kinds of fun things. :)
such as?????  just touching mercury with your fingers--it will instantly get into your body---seriously--marshalltown tube and gauge--in marshalltown,ia--close to me--has had many past employees die early--from guess what??? mercury poisining--and this wasnt from direct contact--from the vapors being given off--of mercury----that had fallen between the boards on the floor----

beenthere

Prolly not that much fear for mercury thermostat switches....right?   ;D
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

I like to break them open and snort it through a straw. ;D

Or perhaps I might use them in various electronic projects.

WH_Conley

The "electronic projects" were what I was thinking of. ;D
Bill

Danny_S

I just fired a freezer out of my garage. Needed the space as I am renting the shop out. The old freezer still worked good but did not need it. I had it plugged in last winter in the unheated shop and different times I went in there during the winter and the freezer was running. Not that the stuff would have thawed out but apparently it was warming up enough to turn it on. 

Anyways there's a freezer for sale in my yard if anyone wants it... the first $25 takes it...   :D

Now I do have a old stand up freezer in there that I do keep plugged in to keep everything in it WARM.   Yea warm!   Got the 60 watt lightbulb in the bottom of it and all my cordless tools, glues, paints and such stuff in there. Works great. It was an old one that my parents had that quit working as a freezer. I keep a few pair of gloves in there too, they are all dried out and nice and warm for when I need to work outside..  ;)
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

weimedog

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 05, 2007, 04:11:08 PM
Ok, maybe a couple.

How many have an unheated shed or garage that they keep a freezer in?

How many people keep that freezer plugged in during the winter (Dec-March) when it's already freezing cold out?

Why pay for cooling power with an abundance of free cold air?

:D :D :D

Now how many of you are going to forget to plug the freezer back in this April?  ::) ;D :D

And now we know why things are the way they are after our little skirmish...
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!