iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wireing 12 volt gearmotor

Started by bedway, December 05, 2007, 11:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

The gearmotor i got off ebay just has a black and red wire comeing out of it. As i previously posted i am going to use it to raise and lower the saw head, (my arm got really tired). What is the best way to wire this motor to reverse the current, keeping in mind cost and simplicity?,,,bedway

flip

Tarp motor switch, call your local parts shop that sells auto and heavy truck/trailer parts.

It changes the current path without the messy relays.  Two wires to battery two to motor.  Worked on the one I built. I think it will handle up to 50 amps but should have a fuse or breaker installed just in case.

The knob is spring loaded and returns to center "off" position.  The knob shaft is threaded and will fit through a 1/8" piece of plate easily.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

olyman

flip--thanks for suggesting that--never heard of them--was going to suggest the drum switch like is used on a lathe--

macpower

An other option would be a pair of push button starter switches, one for up and one for down.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

shopteacher

Cheap would be a 2 pole knife switch.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Furby

It don't even need to be a knife switch.
A two pole switch is a few bucks at the store, less at a junkyard.
If you look a little bit, a self centering one can be found, think car window opening switch. :)
That's a double pole, double throw, self centering rocker switch if I'm thinking clearly.

jrokusek

Bedway - what kind of gearmotor did you get - what was the original application?  I'm thinking the same thing as you!  My shelby-type winch works great but it takes 20 turns to move the head one inch.  I was thinking along the lines of a 12v winch that you can power-in and power-out.  Not sure if it will hold the load in one position without creeping though.

flip

Window switch is a DPDT but it usually only powers a realy that provides power to the motor.  They are not nearly HD engough to carry the current of the gear motor bedway is using.  Well, it will one time and then it will melt to your finger. :D
The tarp motor switch is about $30, how cheap do ya want?
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

bedway

I found a tarp motor switch from pinnacle trailer (in their ebay store) for 19.95. Im hopeing its not a cheap knockoff!,,bedway

Furby

Guess it depends on how big his motor is.
I use them all the time with no problem. :)

pineywoods

bedway temporarily connect the 2 wires to a battery.  Note the direction of rotation. then switch the 2 leads to the battery. If the motor reverses, the tarp switch should work fine. If it doesn't reverse when you switch the wires, the motor is a wound field (ie not permanent magnet) and it will require some internal modification to make it reverse.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

rockchucker

Just get yourself a relay and run it off of the 12v supplied.  You could use as small of a switch as you want if you run a relay.  Very easy to wire.  Then the relay takes all of the current and the switch hardly ever fails.  Then you run the little switch and little wires into a sheathed cable right to a remote control (still attached of course).  Then you can have a small hand held remote that you can carry or set in a holder for easy operation. 

If you are not to familiar with relays read this once over.

http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html
-Cory

doublecut

There is a special contactor and rocker switch you can get from warn or super winch. It has the everything to reves the motor. May not be the most inexpensive system but works really well.
doublecut

Thank You Sponsors!