iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40HD Back Support Kit

Started by John_Haylow, December 02, 2007, 07:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

I'm thinking of ordering the upgrade kit so I can have all 4 back supports working together. Has anyone installed this kit? Just wondering how big of a job it is and how they find it.I seem to get shorter logs sometimes and thought it would be nice to have.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Bibbyman

It took me most of a year to get mine installed.  But it was sure worth it!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

John_Haylow

Quote from: Bibbyman on December 02, 2007, 07:52:15 PM

Glad to hear your happy with the upgrade Bibbyman. Was it much of a job installing it?
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Sunfield Hardwood

Only took about an hour or so and it was time well spent I would hate to be without it. I;ve heard people say thats the only reason they won;t upgrade to LT50 because the four back support system won't work on that model.
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

Dan_Shade

i tasked a friend to install mine when I was out of town!  It's great to have good friends!

I wouldn't want a saw without it.  it's very handy with shorter logs.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Bibbyman on December 02, 2007, 07:52:15 PM

:D :D ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MartyParsons

We order all of the standard Hydraulic mills with the kit installed from the factory. It should take you about 1.5 hours to get them installed and get the back supports adjusted. The threads are not left hand so you will need to remove the bolt or bolts and adjust to get the support straight up and 90 degree from the bed rails. The Super Hydraulics mills have them on as standard equipment. I think they are working on a thrid support for the LT50 and the LT70 but it is a rumor.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

DR Buck

Next to Acuset, its the best Mod I've done to the mill.     8)  8)

Took me a few hours, but I had the 1st one (other than Bibby's) shipped out of the factory.  It was one of the prototypes (sent by mistake),  came with no directions and had an issue with the axle mounting bracket that I had to redesign.   All the units coming from the factory are fixed now.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Polly

8)    is the accsut a pretty expensive upgrade for the lt 40 hydraulic ;)

ElectricAl

This mod will not work on mills that have surge brakes.  :o
Unless you use a cutting torch and welder.  ;D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Brucer

I recently "upgraded" the other way, from 4 to 2. Just took a few wrenches and a square. I didn't even have any instructions to follow.

About an hour to remove the old bits and replace them with the new. Another 1/2 hour to square up the supports. You'll be completely replacing the middle two side supports, so you'll need to square them up with the bed of the mill. If you haven't done this before, it might take a tad longer.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bibbyman

Quote from: Brucer on December 04, 2007, 01:07:48 AM
I recently "upgraded" the other way, from 4 to 2. Just took a few wrenches and a square. I didn't even have any instructions to follow.

Why would you do something like that?   smiley_headscratch
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

pineywoods

Quote from: ElectricAl on December 03, 2007, 06:35:52 AM
This mod will not work on mills that have surge brakes.  :o
Unless you use a cutting torch and welder.  ;D

won't work on older manual mills that have had hydraulics added either.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Brucer

Gary:

I followed your thread with some interest as you developed the original. After some thought, I decided that I really had no use for 4 powered side stops. I rarely have a log under 8'. On the other hand, I do run into logs that are badly limbed and they can present a problem with the side supports grabbing a branch stub and twisting the log.

When I ordered my mill, I had a choice of two in the yard, one with and one without. I specified the one without. However, another customer had expressed an interest in the same mill, and his deposit arrived before mine. So now I had to decide whether to wait 6 weeks for the next shipment of mills to arrive, or take the one with 4 powered side stops. Needless to say, I didn't wait.

After a year and a half of sawing, I found that they did cause problems with small logs -- I had twice as many supports to grab and turn a gnarly log. Not once did I find myself glad I had them. I inquired about upgrading in reverse and as it happened, Marv at WM Canada West had just installed a kit on a mill for a customer. He had the old parts sitting around sp we did a straight swap.

One thing I hadn't thought about was that with 4 side supports raised, you can apply a lot more pressure to a cant with the clamp and not push it out of square. In effect you've got twice as much metal to bend. So I had to learn to be more gentle with the clamp.

Other than that, I'm happy enough with my choice.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!