iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

learning things the hardway - electrical problems and spares save the day ...

Started by Dan_Shade, December 02, 2007, 03:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I had a sawing job yesterday, lots of fenceboards, poplar logs....

after I loaded the second log on the mill, the hydraulic pump switch got stuck in the "run" position.  I knew better, but I ignored it, thinking I'd fix it later.  well, later was after the mill shut off!

my setworks went all haywire showing "cation overload" and "TL module is bad".  I thought I'd have to toss in the towel for the day, which I really didn't want to do, so I piddled around a bit, and realized that if I waited a few minutes, the head would go back up and down, at that time, i realized that it was a charging system/battery problem.  so i dug into my spare parts box, found my spare switch, and got to rolling again, after having to jump the mill to get it started.

moral of the story, if it's not right, fix it, don't wait! 

ended up sawing out 165 1x6x16 boards  8)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

logwalker

You likely just ran the battery so low that the electronics took a break. After it sat a bit the voltage came back up enough to run again. How difficult was it to change the switch out? joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Dan_Shade

that's what happened with the battery.

the switch is not too hard to swap, but those little tiny screws are hard to get out.  the worst thing it was cold and the wind was blowing...

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jeremiahdixon

can anyone tell me where my TL module is on my LT40? I just recently bought it and have no idea anything about it.  ???

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 02, 2007, 06:51:56 PM
that's what happened with the battery.

the switch is not too hard to swap, but those little tiny screws are hard to get out.  the worst thing it was cold and the wind was blowing...

The hydraulic micro switch? You're not kidding about the little screws. This one is good to swap out at the first sign of trouble (constantly having to adjust the set screws on the different levers off the rocker arm assembly).  Mine took me an hour last Spring most of it fiddling with tiny washers and nuts in a place where the sun almost doesn't shine.  Fortunately the customer had an unbelievable supply of tiny hardware as I dropped mine a few times.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

The WM switch is sealed, water/oil proof, and quite pricey.  I put this one on mine many years ago.  Look over this entire thread.

Link:   https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41872.msg607728.html#msg607728

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sparks

The TL module is part of you Setworks. If you a remote mill they are mounted on the door.     If you have a non-remote they are in the Setworks box.     To test them you remove the wires form the Module and do a continuity test. Take a reading accross the 2 big terminals and then from each big terminal to the little terminal. If you read continuity it is bad.   Low battery voltage will cause the error as well. If the modules check good then you have a bad circuit board.

All that said the only parts we have left for the Setworks are Encoders. If you find a bad part you will have to either remove the Setworks or upgrade to a new system.

1997 and newer mills to Accuset 2      $1895.00
1997 and newer mills to Simple Setworks      $1295.00
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

jeremiahdixon

Sparks, how do I know where my TL module is to test it? I understand inside my box but theres alot of stuff in there that makes my head spin when I open it.

sparks

The errror message is not accurate. It may say TL but it could be any one of the modules. You want to test them all.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

MartyParsons

TL stands for Top Left, but like Rick says you will need to check them all. Times when you get the Error it can be simple as a loose wire. I always check all of the little screws and the wiring.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

jeremiahdixon

Is my TL module one of four modules on my door when I open it with blue wires going in and coming out of it?

Thank You Sponsors!