iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 028

Started by TexasTimbers, December 02, 2007, 01:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

A guy has one for $235. I think it is too much for an older used saw. He says it runs great and looks "semi-new"  :-\   They all run great over the phone of course because if "Well it's hard to start and it ain't got much power..." then who will buy it right.

I have read the 028 archives and some say they would love to find one and some say they are too heavy for the power they have compared to newer saws. I asked him if it was a Super and he said he doesn't know. I saw references to 028 Woodboss, 028 Super AV, and just 028. How many models were there and what's the big differences if any?

He is going to go write down everything he can find on the saw and call me back. I plan to offer him $150 for it if someone here thinks it would make a good limbing saw. That's all I would use it for. I can't see paying $235 for an old used saw when another $160 will fetch a brand new 346xp.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawguy21

That is high for an old saw. It was a popular model but heavy by today's standards, especially for limbing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_van

I've got one I bought new in '81 or there abouts - Good limbing saw, your 150.00 is more than fair - His price - too much. Mine's the WB, 16" bar, it does o.k.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

TexasTimbers

Thanks sawguy. I didn't even make an offer I  just passed on it. I had not seen your post yet Mike when I had passed on it but sounds like I did the smart thing.

TexasTimbers

I have an 024 AV Woodboss, and an 025 2002 model I think. Could either of these saw be tinkered with enough to make them good limbing saws for ERC? They do fine on the small limbs but get into 5"+ they have to strain too hard. My 345 Husky does well on the ERC but not on larger hardwood limbs 8"+.

I asked this a couple weeks ago and got some good suggestions. I guess I need to spring for the 346xp - maybe that is my only logical choice to cover most all the limbing I do.

woodmills1

I bought a new ms280 to replace my older 028's.  I am really impressed with it.  It is light, has very little vibration, and just seems to want to cut like mad.  It will cut well even in hardwood with the log being larger than the bar.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bernhard

Like mike_van said: 150 $ is more then enough. I own a 028, too. From 1985 and I have been very satisfied with it. Now it is only in use here and then.
Yes, it is a heavy saw, but undestroiable.
It has less hp then the 026, bur more replacement.
To get parts is a problem. The backhandle, the hood, piston and cylinder and some smaller parts areĀ“n available anymore.

rewimmer

I have an 028 that I ran in competition years ago and won a lot of contest in it's class. I have a 032 Super cylinder head and piston on it. I shaved the head .020, polished ports and it is a screamer. Would not get rid of it for $250.00. Like everyone says it is a super trim saw and Ebay has plenty parts.
Robert in Virginia

pineywoods

I have an 028 AV super that's 13 years old and still going strong. I run a 20 inch bar and full chisel chain. Some will say that's to much bar, but if the chain is kept sharp, the 028 will handle it. I did replace the cylinder and piston several years ago, the result of experimenting with mercury outboard motor oil instead of stihl. thats a no-no no_no
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

When I first started landscaping, the company I worked for had three 028s, and they worked well. #3 worked the best, that's the one I always used, and it had an 18" bar instead of a 16". They were traded in for 029s when they first came out. They are also a good saw, but weigh the same as an 044, with much less power, I guess that's what you get when you save $400. :D I bought an 028, might even have been my first saw, I don't remember. Hated it so much I gave it away. >:( I think it was pretty well used up.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dave7191

I've got a supper O28 I bought a year ago gave 125 it runs fine  and has for the last year been cutting ceder with it  and a little fire wood 

Thank You Sponsors!