iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

S&W 22

Started by Tim L, December 02, 2007, 12:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim L

I just picked up a S&W 22 A pistol yesterday. My son (16 years old) and I love to shoot my handguns but the 357 and 40 cal were getting expensive as far as ammo prices go,so I opted for something more cost effective . Any one have experiences to share about this model ? Also what recommendations for a possible scope .
Do the best you can and don't look back

rewimmer

S&W just reintroduced a model 22 which is a .45 ACP  caliber that takes the moon clips. You must have a S&W that is a 22 caliber. I do not know what model you have. I have a model 17-3 S&W in 22 caliber and would never dream of drilling and tapping it for scope mounts. I killed 23 Groundhogs with it one summer and we could not begin to count the number of snakes it has killed. My wife calls it her snake gun and keeps it loaded in the summer with bird shot and her safety glasses by it's side.
Robert in Virginia

Tim L

The model is the 22-a 22 cal and it has ridges to mount a scope already on it .

rewimmer

Hello Tim it's me again,
I will have to look that one up (22-a)because my blue book on guns is a little outdated. The model 22 I referred  to is in February 2007 issue of American Rifleman, page 84.
Hope your son really enjoys it. We sure send a lot of 22 cal. lead down range at my place.
Robert in Virginia

Tim L

I certainly hope to shoot more lead down range. Have any of you other members started shooting lighter weapons for target due to ammo costs ?

Larry

Always have...even to the point of testing ammo lot numbers and than buying a case of the best.

Amazing what rim-fire practice can do for scores when ya switch back to center fire.

Your post brings back a few memories.  Dad bought a S&W model 41 when I was about your son's age.  After almost 45 years the gun is still competitive with everything but the high priced European guns :)...the shooter is starting to slip some. ??? ???
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Norm

I keep a couple of guns ready to shot at all times. One is a ruger 10-22 that I like to just plink with. I harass the snapping turtles that show just their head in our pond out front. It's about a 100 yards but that gun will flat out shot where you aim. My biggest problem has been my eyesight has gotten worse and I can't see the sights as well. Not too bad though, I got two snappers last summer.

Ron Scott

One of my handguns is a S&W K-22 revolver. I've had it for 55 years and it's still a nice shooter. Use to carry it on the job for porcupine control. I've customized it some with a bone and widened grip.
~Ron

Dave Shepard

I wouldn't mind having a 41 someday. But for now, I'll stick with the Rugers, I've always enjoyed puzzles. ;) :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tim L

Thanks guys, I hope we spend quality time shooting. Norm , those snapping turtle are pretty good at ducking when they spot you . I've taken a few shots at snappers myself .Got one once with a 30-30 Winchester . I had a spotter with binoculars and I shot from a canoe .

Dave Shepard

Do the snappers disrupt the other critters in the pond? I have heard they will pull ducks under for a snack. :o Haven't seen one in years. My father put one in an employess van when I was  a kid. I went to work for him later, always checked my vehicles for a revenge turtle. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Woodcarver

Did you cook the snappers, Norm?  Turtle soup and oven baked turtle are both excellent.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Norm

I've not cooked any of them as I'd be the only one that would eat it. :D

The only place I hit them is in the head, they sink down then. In a couple of days they'll float up, it's really the only way I know for sure that I hit one. Two years ago Patty came and got me as we had one in our driveway. Great big mean looking guy that must have been migrating in or out. I asked her if she had any interest in turtle stew and was assured I could just dispatch him without having to dress him out. :D

Dave they are supposed to be hard on the fish and waterfowl population. This pond is only a few years old but I'm amazed at how many of them are in it in such a short time. We have a crick that is a 1/4 mile away that they must come from. Last year as I was mowing the top of the dam one surfaced up in the weeds. Great big mean looking thing that the instant he saw the tractor disappeared back under the weeds. Patty will not swim in this pond after seeing such things. ;)

Tim L

When at camp I would take old hamburg in a bread bag tied to a milk jug .Then I would throw it in the lily pads and watch for movement through the pads .I never had a scope so I would have binoculars . The turtles head sticks up and looks like a stick floating in the water then you blast em. In my experience about 20 minutes or so is all it takes for them to surface .

Norm

I'll give that a try Tim. To be honest I thought it would take longer so never looked, just noticed something big floating after a couple of days. :D

Do you process them out yourself, I've never done it so am curious about how bad it is to do?

Ron Scott

Yes they are hard on small fish and ducklings. I've seen them consume schools of panfish and perch while SCUBA diving in waters where they were prevalent.
~Ron

Tim L

I never processed them. I have heard that if you want the shell , leave the carcass in the woods and the local critters will clean it out . Good Luck !

Woodcarver

Norm, here's a link to a site that has instructions for dressing a turtle.  Also has some recipes for preparing turtle.

I've dressed a couple. It's an interesting experience.  They are reptilian.  The muscles continue to contract reflexively for some time after the turtle is dead.

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Trax

QuoteS&W just reintroduced a model 22 which is a .45 ACP  caliber that takes the moon clips. You must have a S&W that is a 22 caliber. I do not know what model you have. I have a model 17-3 S&W in 22 caliber and would never dream of drilling and tapping it for scope mounts.

rewimmer  look under S&W autoloaders for the model 22A the one your looking at is a revolver. The 22A has a scope rail on it from the factory as mentioned.  To put a scope on your K-22 (17-3) you take your rear sight off and install a scope mount using the same screw.  I have a S&W 41, 17-4 and a Ruger single six that I love shooting. I even shoot the revolvers in the basement useing the Aguila Colibri's. The are 22 loaded with no powder just the primer and a 20gr bullet. They're about as powerfull as an average pellet gun (500 fps) a cardboard box with rug scraps stops them with no problems.

Thank You Sponsors!