iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to purchase home lumber packages?

Started by erikkl2000, December 02, 2007, 07:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikkl2000

I am a small custom home builder in McKinney Texas, and I also know other custom home builders in the Texas area.

In my earlier years I worked with my father restoring antebellum homes.

I remember one time we tore a barn apart just for the flooring, where the hay was kept, and cut the random planks down to 2" planks for flooring. We did this because this flooring was dated closer to the time that the antebellum we were working on was built.

Anyway, I would like to put 6" oak planks down in a custom spec home. The 6" Planks that I will be putting down do NOT have to be smooth, preferably knotted would be ok.

I am also building my own cabinets, and I would like to find ash wood.

Before I buy my trim package from the local lumber company, Hope, can someone tell me if they have access to:
•   Flooring wood
•   Crown
•   Base
•   Doors , solid core
•   Cabinet wood

*****Can someone tell me if they know mills that will cut a home  / apartment lumber package for my company or my clients? My company, and other builders that I know, purchase the entire lumber / trim package at once, and it would be nice to be able to purchase our lumber / trim / doors closer to the forest ! ;)~

The current spec home that I am building at the present has a cottage / old world look and it would be so nice to get all of our trim / doors from a place that the wood has a little more meaning.

All suggestions are welcome, My company is looking for any and all new resources for my company and our clients.

Thanks
Erik

Theres my side, and theres your opinion

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum, Erik! You can try the "Find a Forester-Sawmill" link, in the upper right-hand corner. Buying as close to the forest as possible sounds like a good idea. The less handling, trucking and processing, the better, in my opinion.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

If you don't find someone locally, here's what happened at one place I worked. It was a small custom cabinet shop, we did some furniture and custom milling. Our largest builder and some family investors financed a 5 head molder and we started making trim packages as well as more and more accurate, in house stuff. We paid off the 5 year note in half the time. Might be another thing to consider if you have several builders and a good shop nearby.

gharlan

well welcome Erick. I hope you find what you are looking for but in this day of big business finding someone that can deliver all you ask may be tough. I think you might first try sending a PM to texas timbers (a member) and see what he can deliver for you as he is not that far away from you. If that does not help there are a lot of hardwood lumber dealers in Fort Worth. Sweeney lumber and Barney Robinson to name a few. Sweeney is a huge outfit that sells dimensional lumber, hardwoods, trusses, doors, etc,etc. They are all separate divisions however. My salesman at sweeney is Dell. He is an outside salesman so he might be a source to find someone that can help fill your needs if Texas Timbers can not help. Send me a PM if you want his number and I will send it to you. Maybe one day I will be able to deliver some flooring and moldings etc cut from local trees. But for now I am in the process of collecting and drying the lumber. I have bought the moulder but the lumber acquisition has proven to be a challange but then I do not live in  a forest area.

I salute you for trying to find things that are special though. It seems that is rare in this day of going to the big box stores and getting it now.---good luck

erikkl2000

Thanks everyone for all the replies !

Yea I do not do big box stores when it comes to this much lumber. I can build an entire home and never drag one piece of lumber out of one of them stores; however, i do find myself purchasing a lot of nails, and tools. I like to buy most of my tools online, like eBay, unless it is a right now thing.

I will most defiantly check out all these resources this week. On my next home I would like to buy all my sticks from the saw mill. Obliviously it has to be cheaper if I am buying all of it from a place like hope lumber that buys it from a sawmill. I just need to keep digging, and this seems like a great place to start!

Thanks again, and keep the recommendations coming.

Erik

LOGDOG

Hey Erik,

Welcome to the forum. I can help you out with everything you mentioned. I'll send you an e-mail in a couple of minutes.

Thanks,

LOGDOG

erikkl2000

LOGDOG

erikkl2000

Thank you very much !

I am going to take a bit to consume your information and I will be in touch this week because I need to get my trim package together.

**On the beams, I just put 18 in my spec last week. " 18 ",,,, For my boxed ceilings.

I will also like to talk to you about all your resources.

Erik

LOGDOG

Sounds good Erik. By the way ...don't let the the list of high profile clients intimidate you into thinking we're probably high priced. We're not. We just take the time to do it right and give people a good value for their dollar. Word travels and sometimes high profile folks end up on that list. We charge them the same as everyone else. More often than not it's regular folks looking to finish their home with a special touch and save some money along the way. Would have loved to provide you with those beams you mentioned - also specialize in the hand hewn look in case you ever need it.

Keep in touch. :)

LOGDOG

Thank You Sponsors!