iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pullin too hard on the swinger

Started by hansbaba, December 01, 2007, 11:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hansbaba

Today on my peterson wpf I seemed to have to pull really hard when walking back during the vertical cut. The mill is set up at a very very slight slope (pushing down) but even when I just cut 1 1/2" It seems to use a lot more effort then what I'm used to . I usually try to set it up this way because it seems easier to push downhill while I never really had a problem pulling. Again, the hills I'm talking about are very slight. The boards are coming out fine. The crisscross is sightly favored in one direction but its always been that way. The logs are d-fir. There is no track sag and it is as parrallel as can be. The tracks are clean adn the track wheels seem fine. Anyone experience this?. Iwill add that it seemed to get worse as the mill frame gets lower and lower.Any advice here from the experts?

brdmkr

If you have been pulling against a similar slope in the same species of wood, I am going to have to say you have a log with some tension in it.  Can you tell if the wood is trying to pinch behind the blade?  If you make the vertical cut first, is it still harder to pull?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Captain

Hans, are you pulling on the long swinging handle, the emergency stop bar or some combination of the two??  How big are your doug firs??

Captain

hansbaba

I am pulling with the handle (myleft hand next to the e stop) and my right hanging onto the long pull handle about 1 or 2' up the handle. Its a fairly comfortable position for me and it usually works fine. The logs are small (8-16" small end) and I dont believe that tension is the problem. Its hard to pull even without cutting. I have had it at a steeper decline in the past with out a problem. Maybe I'm just gettin weak???

Timburr

You say your track wheels seem fine, but do they freewheel easily when the weight is off them.  If the bearings are notchy, the mill will be hard to pull when the load is back on them.
Sense is not common

Captain

Are you running hi-lo or lo-lo??  I've had customers with problems on the low track side if they turn the bottom support so it is outside of the track, not under.  Makes the low track tip inwards.  Also, if running high track, check the track for appropriate spacing.  I've also had problems when running lo-lo with the little plastic track wiper getting caught under the roller wheel on the left of the operator.

Captain

hansbaba

Captain,
You might have something there. I have always used hi lo before but this is the first time using lo lo. I had about a 100 logs but because they were all 8-15 inches (and I had a helper to shovel) I figured Id just try rolling them over the track. As it is, I have both center support tabs facing out. I put them that way with the intention of using stakes but I never bothered with the stakes. I'll switch those around tomorrow (as long as the wind drops below 50mph. Its not too friendly in those redwood and doug fir forests during wind storms)

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

Hans

Captain

Hans, if it is the first time lo-lo definately check the track wiper too.

Captain

hansbaba

You called it Captain.
I switched the center supports around and it was back to smooth pulling. I checked the manual and I am embarrased to say they even have a picture showing it the way you said to do it. I must have read that thing 5 times when the mill was new.
I guess its time to read it again!!!!
Thanks for your help.

Hans. 8)

Captain

Seems like a company like Peterson could use a guy like me doing customer support....

Glad you found your problem.  Hope your track rollers are OK.  If not, give us a call!!

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!