iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do?

Started by Gary_C, December 01, 2007, 03:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Today the first big snow event of the winter arrived. I still have a lot of outside work to do and I have to get the harvester and forwarder ready for jobs to start in December. But today just seemed like a good day to cogitate as DanG says on what to do next.

Right now I am keeping up on the storm progress, checking in regularly on the forum, and thinking about those 50-60 chains that need sharpening and fixing. Just thinking now, not actually doing just yet.  :D :D

So what does everyone else do on these days that it ain't fit to be outside?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

I'm mopping floors while Tammy cuts venison. The storm is not here yet but they say its coming and going to be a biggy.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Waching the snow/sleet come down and contemplating getting the tractor/bucket out to clean off the drive and road. But did get out and tarped a couple pallets of firewood that I will soon move into the garage..just to limit the amount of snow comin in.
Temps are on the rise...10° at 7, and now up to 25°.  Heavy sleet on top of the light snow earlier. No rain yet.
Just that global warming kicking in here.  

Burlkraft came over yesterday with his WM and milled some elm logs..worked great and cut straight. Then we had a good excuse to stop by the Rox for a burger and soup...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_van

I hid in the shop all day with the stove going - Kind of snotty here in New England, in the 20's with a 25 mph wind.  Lots of machine work to do, putting the crane back on my F350.  6000+ people out of power here, no calls for me? Oh thats right - I retired!  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Norm

I've been doing small odd jobs around the house today. I was out earlier and brought some firewood in and moved the generator into the garage. Patty's making apple rhubarb crisp and some homemade bread. Looks like the main part of the storm has moved past us with just lighter freezing rain now. We do have high winds though so hopefully the power stays on.

Don_Papenburg

I was in the shop most of the day working on small jobs and wishing I had gotten my heat working in there.   Later in the afternoon I went into the basement and did some work on a stained glass that I have to put in the gable of the north porch.  Went out to get the truck and it had a quarter inch of ice on it .  But it is warmer than in the morning . 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Sprucegum

I been thinking - I need to move my computer closer to the kitchen.
The wife has started baking; for all the kids for Christmas, mostly cookies right now. Once she puts them in a container they are off limits but if I can catch them on the counter  8) just cool enough to pick up, still to hot to put in the container.

Yes, I am a cookie monster  :-*

sawguy21

It is mild here at least by my standards, just below freezing, but snowing heavily for the second straight day. We opened the store at 9 yesterday and were sold out of snow throwers before 10.  :D It was quiet after that except for the phones, nobody wanted to be out.
The snow will be gone tonight, we are supposed to get heavy rain and 13C tomorrow.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

We ended up with 8 or 10 inches of snow from the storm.  It was over by this morning with just some lingering mist,drizzle, light rain.  I spent much of the morning and afternoon cleaning up.  Most days when it's stormy or otherwise unfit to work outside we put in some shop time.  We've been trying to find the floor  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ed_K

Plow & sand for the town and wishin we don't get a lot as I have 100 trees cut down but not skidded to the landing. Broke a pin on the steering piston yesterday put an old pin in and hopin the machinest gets a new pin made soon. After reading how much y'all are gettin I put the chains on the plow tractor  :) .
Ed K

Reddog

Here is what it looked like going to visit Jeff and Tammy.

IMERC

shoveled out an area for the dogs to go...
continued reading a book...
tossed a couple of logs on the fire...
snacked..
continued reading...
looked in here...
continued reading...
looked out the window and watched the storm's progress...
tossed a couple of logs on the fire...
continued reading...
snacked..
looked in here...
continued reading...
shoveled the dog area..

all in all ... been busy all day...

now fer a nap...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Ron Scott

Cleaned and put the deer rifles away. Got the "snow camo"' out for the late bow and muzzel loading seasons. Couldn't sight the new muzzelloader in yet due to the bad weather. Skinned a deer to ready it for butchering and moved snow from the driveway and walks.

~Ron

pigman

Reddog, with fine weather like that I am supprised you didn't ride your bike. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Reddog

Pigman, I would have to go to your area to get some bike riding now.

Gary_C

Now the second part of the question is what to do the next day. But that's easy. You just waste your time and fuel cleaning up the mess. Sort of like paying for taking the day off. But at least this time we got the ice on top of the snow.

All together just a huge waste of time. Boy how I hate pushing snow!   >:(
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sawguy21

Ma nature is taking care of the clean up here. It is pouring, the temperature is supposed to reach 13C. ::) The storm drains are likely plugged with ice.

pappy

Just started snowing up here in northern Maine,, supposed to get a big dumpin,,, sumpin to the tune of 12" to 18"...  Wife's out getting the last minute supplies to last for the next couple days anyway  ;) :D  ;D  :)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

sawguy21

It is unbelievable. Still 13C with a wind, the snow is completely gone. This weather is really weird. :o

thecfarm

I wonder if we're going to get that on Friday.Something is coming in on that day.,I think we got about 8 inches.I went out yesterday and blew out about 6 inches.Got up this morning to about 2 more.Suppose to have 8-14.Most times when it says that we get the 14.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

We had 8" here. I'm all plowed out now and the snow is about done coming down now. They got a lot more snow south of me. And less snow up north. Next is the wind.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

We got 10 " here . Sure makes putting a fence up a little more challenging  .  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Just to demonstrate the difference in weather between here the coast. We had almost no wind here and they had high winds on the coast, enough to cause salt spray off the ocean to coat power lines with 1 foot (circumference) of ice.  The surge was 2 meters high above normal level. :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!