iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tire chains

Started by Dave Shepard, November 30, 2007, 07:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I could use some advice on skidder tire chains. I have seen many machines that only have chains on front. Is there a reason to only put them on front, as opposed to all four tires, or on the back? I have also heard that skidder chains should be very tight to prevent sticks from getting caught in them. I hope to have my skidder home this weekend, and I know the chains are very loose. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Dale Hatfield

Check with baileys the have a chain install device thats an upside down  hilift jack it pulls together instead of jacking up. We have one wouldnt think of putting the chains on without it. Beats the tar out of any other way that i have tried.
Tight and have all lose ends clevised down . If the tires are junk i have seen chains all the way around. But most only chain the front for several reasons on cost of tire chains. wear and tare on machine. plus the damage done to forest floor .
We dont chain till we have to .

Dale
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17790+01&catID=   (edit)
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Craig

I have the srew type tightener which works well. As far as putting on front and rear, I run chains on the front only when needed because it steers better and the cost. My clark is fulltime 4wd (no unlock)with a good hitch on it and slick conditions it would go where the rear tires are pointed without the chains on the front. IMO

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

Corley5

I've been shopping for a new pair of bear paws for the Mule.  The big rings have begun breaking in the old ones.  I've found some Chinese made ones for $799.00 with free shipping that's about 400 bucks less than a set of American economy chains.  Some other chain costs more than twice what the Chinese ones do and there's no free shipping.  Anybody ever use Chinese tire chains ???  I'd rather buy American but 400 dollars is just that, 400 dollars  :(  The guy I talked to said if I was planning on using them on a big grapple skidder 24/7 I didn't want them but on a small forwarder they'd be just fine  :-\
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Reddog

Greg,
I have a set of double ring chains that I run on the front of the 65hp kubota. For the price I payed they must be china. They have been holding up fine the two winters I have run them. I use them skidding and plowing. Even a couple trips down some black top didn't show much wear.

Wally

Ed_K

Greg, have you tried TCR (tire chains required)? I bought my single diamond ice chains from them 18.4 34s for $1100. After running them for almost a yr I wouldn't buy anything else. I have them on the back and when I need fronts thats what it'll be.
Ed K

Corley5

Yup, that's the place  8) http://www.tirechainsrequired.com  Do you like the diamond style better than the ring/bear paws ???  I was also looking here http://www.tirechain.com but they don't offer free shipping

cantcutter

I was taught that you run chains on the front for traction and steering in the summer, and in the ice and snow put them on all four wheels. Has something to do with the diff spinning at a different rate of speed and wearing them out faster if you run chains on all four all year around.

Danny Dimm

Tight is always better. One of the reason most run the chains on the front is that your chokers can easily get caught  by rear chains. I liked to run chains all four tires year round. Huge difference in traction. The cost was an issue though. Big skidder big expense. [550 Timberjack] The diamond studded chains are better than the ring chains as well. You get a smoother more even traction which is easier on the driveline. I liked double diamond for my machine but have heard that they don't work a well on smaller machines. Not enough weight to make the many studs grip. Way nicer roading the machine with the studded chains also. No bump bump bump like you get with the ring chains, although the double ring aren't to bad.

Ed_K

Danny's right,no bump,bump. Lot smoother ride  ;) .You go to double diamond for the wider tires,mostly they use them on the harvesters and forwarders. When I bought my skidder it had new ring chains on front and the back rings were at 30 %. 5 yrs later the fronts are still over 50 % and I've always run chains all around,summer and winter. But I also run on steep slope too.
Ed K

Dave Shepard

I decided to try chaining up my Kubota L48 today. What an ordeal that was. I have put chains on the big farm tractor tires, but they have a ton of clearence around the inside of the tire. My Kubota has about 1.75". :o >:( It was an epic battle that made the fight for Middle Earth look like a school yard tiff. There was a ton of swearing, well certainly more than in the movie, and when I got done, there wasn't any snow to be seen anywhere in the yard! :o Well, I had to try the chains out so I bucketed it all away. ::) :D  :D It was well worth it. I tried it out on the hill in front of the barn. With all the snow that gets bucketed up at the bottom, and the bank next to the road, I figured it would be a real test. I know I couldn't have made it in 4x4 with the diff locked, but it walked right up in two wheel drive.  8) 8) Might just be able to pull some logs in the snow. :) :) Winch goes on tomorrow, always hate taking the hoe off, it's just over a ton of ballast.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Better keep them chains tight or you'll be missing a fender.I don't know why they make them that way now.Yours must be a fairly new one?Back in the early 90's when we was looking at tractors,most had all kinds of room.I can't remember when all that started.But I feel it kinda dumb as far as trying to run chains.Be real careful of brush getting caught in the chains.You don't have a cage to protect you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I got them about as tight as I could. I used a ratchet type fence stretcher. there is a little wiggle, but not much. I ran them around quite a bit, and they didn't move, we'll see when I get into the woods. If I get the winch on tomorrow, I've got some oak tops to pull off the hill. The machine is a construction model, not AG, so they made it to squeeze into some narrow spots. I'll be ok if I can keep'em tight. It is a 2001 model.

Dave

stonebroke

Set your wheels out for more clearance. Also the new tractors have such tight fitting fenders a lot of time you have to get another set of tires one or two sizes smaller to have enough clearance for chains.

Stonebroke

stonebroke

The tire chains will loosen up. Another trick is to use tarp straps as tighteners , use two at right angles.

Stonebroke

Furby

Would it have been eaier to take the wheel off and then install the chains?

Dave Shepard

The wheels aren't adjustable on this model. I have the chains way tighter than tarp straps are going to make them. Furby, I doubt it, they are loaded, so I don't think I could do it alone. I'll run it awhile and see if I can take it up another link.

Dave

Ed_K

I thought about the fence strecher, how many pinched fingers do'es it do?
Ed K

Dave Shepard

No pinches, this time. ;) :D I like the looks of that cut down HiLift jack made for chains, I think it is at Bailey's. If I took the hoe off, I would have a little more room, but then I wouldn't have the built in jacking ability. ;) I am sure putting the chains on the skidder won't be much more fun, but there will be more room. I guess I am going to have to replace them, is it worth trying to patch them when the rings are in two pieces? ::) :P Just kidding. ;)

Dave

Coon

Dave those skidder chains can be rebuilt.  We made new rings for ours one time when we had the shop free.  Took some time and patience but we made all our own new rings and such too.  I think it took two of us one whole day do rebuild the chains for one tire, if I remember correct.  The chains were still intact when we sold the skidder about five years later.  Last time I saw the skidder the new owners still had the same chains on and they still looked fairly decent shape.  That was a couple of years ago though.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Ed_K

Is there any holes thru the inside part of the rim? I put a small chain thru mine and grab each side of the ice chains then drive ahead till their all the way around then hook them up. they seem to be tighter to start with that way. I'm cheap, thought the fence strecher would be cheaper than paying $120. for the short handyman jack in Bailey's. Don't weld up the rings outside in the cold they tend to crack after cooling down,wonder how I know this ;D. Still have the 18.4-34s in the shed if you need them.
Ed K

Dave Shepard

I might have to make a trip to Leyden sometime. ;) Don't know when I might need them, playing everything by ear at the moment. Still have to get the rearend back together. I think only one of the skidder chains is in bad shape, comparitively anyway. They are both very worn, with a lot of repairs on them. How far is the pike, timewise, from Leyden?

The chains on the tractor are working out incredibly well. I have to be careful plowing into the snow banks now, instead of turning the tires and making an ice patch, it just walks through them. :o Very happy so far, doesn't seem to be chewing the inner fenders up, yet.

Dave

Corley5

Watch Ebay for track stretchers.  If you're patient they can be had for less than half of what Bailey's wants and that's delivered.  The one I got was military surplus and still had the cosmoline on it 8)

Ed_K

Once you hit I-91 its about 40 mins.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!