iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maximum Log for Loading onto LT40

Started by mhasel, November 30, 2007, 06:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhasel

Hi All,

Basic question here since I haven't experienced any logs this big yet, I have a couple of 36" X 12' Tulip Popular logs that I'd like to cut on my LT 40 Super Hydraulic. My track loader won't lift them, will the loader on the LT40 handle this size and weigh log without damaging anything?

I'd hate to cut them down especially since I need 12' lumber for some headers, but at the same time do not want to bend something up.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

customsawyer

I never bent my LT40 and I still haven't bent my LT70 and I have had oak logs that big and bigger 18' long on them so with it being popular I woudn't worry to  much. When it comes to loading one I have had to lift some with the log loader on the mill and at the same time use the tractor to lift it a bit as well. You don't have to lift it very far with the tractor and then the mill will be able to take it from there by its self.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dan_Shade

it should do it.  It may grunt, but it should do it.

I'm guessing that the hydraulic pump will quit pumping before the loader would be hurt.  I think the lift is rated for 4400lbs, that log should be under 3900.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LOGDOG

No Problem. I've had 16 foot long, 38 diameter sinker cypress up on mine recently. Loaded it, turned it, no problema'. Never found a log I could handle with any of my mizers. Even had a 47" diameter white pine up on one of them.

LOGDOG

WH_Conley

Only log I ever had that the mizer wouldn't load and turn by itself was an 18' red oak butt log, 38" on small end. I have cut a lot of yellow poplar in the size range you are talking anout, no problem. Just don't get in a hurry, it takes a while for the blade to get rid of that much dust.
Bill

mhasel

Thanks guys, I just needed some reassurance, good idea on using the tractor loader to help the mill arms load the log. I just started worrying when the track loader would not lift the monster, it will drag it all day long so I know that I can get it up to the mill.

It has been a while since I was on but same as always a great bunch of folks willing to help others out.

Thanks again all.

Mike

dad2nine

I've cut some big ones on my LT40 manual - just nibble a little off the top, roll over a little, nibble some more off the top, repeat... when you come around, you'll be able to start throwing off slabs and making lumber. Don't expect to split the pith on something that big, I can squeak through the center of a 28" diameter (big end) log because my WM is limited to 14" depth and 28"wide cut, I assume yours is the same. I tweaked the head capacity as much as I could and that's all she wrote, without some cutting and welding ofcourse.

Thanks

LT40HDD51

I wouldnt ever hesitate to roll er on the loader and try, theyre engineered to quit before they hurt themselves (we should be the same way) :).

Mmmmm, big poplar...... love that stuff with 50 thou 13° blades  ;D.
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

MartyParsons

Dan Shade is correct the mills are rated max 4400 lbs.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bibbyman

One caution on handling these big logs on your mill – it's harder to see where your clamp is and your back supports are because of the size of the log.  It's good to have a spotter to watch that you're not about to let the log roll off the back or front.   Also,  I learned the hard way to keep the loading arms up while turning these big ones.  If they do happen to get over the clamp and roll, they'll come off the mill really hard.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

footer

Here are a couple pictures of a roughly 8000 lb red oak that I sawed on a LT40 Manual.
The cant here is about 26" wide X 18' long. I cut 11 slabs 2 1/4" thick from the cant.

DR Buck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a couple pictures of a roughly 8000 lb red oak that I sawed on a LT40 Manual.
The cant here is about 26" wide X 18' long. I cut 11 slabs 2 1/4" thick from the cant.

How'd you get 26"?   I measured only 24" between my blade guide rollers.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

footer

Mine are just over 26" I think. I  put some 3/4 or 1" spacers on the bed rails and slide the cant over the short bed stops in order to cut max width.

dad2nine

Quote from: DR_Buck on December 01, 2007, 05:43:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How'd you get 26"?   I measured only 24" between my blade guide rollers.

You are 100% correct, 24" is it with the dogs up on my LT40 manual. However there is a good few inches left on the main rail. I'm not suggesting anyone do what I do, but shimming the cant an inch off the bed rails and pushing over a few inches past the stops onto the main bed rail allows for a few extra inches of clearance and a little wider cut. I did blow that picture up to 200% and it looks like that cant is sitting on the bed rails. So I have the same question, I could cut a maximum of 24" wide like that myself. Maybe there is some tweak I have not found yet to allow a wider cut without shimming the cant over the stops, please share your secret footer...

Thanks

DR Buck

Quote from: footer on December 01, 2007, 06:19:47 PM
Mine are just over 26" I think. I  put some 3/4 or 1" spacers on the bed rails and slide the cant over the short bed stops in order to cut max width.

QuoteYou are 100% correct, 24" is it with the dogs up on my LT40 manual. However there is a good few inches left on the main rail. I'm not suggesting anyone do what I do, but shimming the cant an inch off the bed rails and pushing over a few inches past the stops onto the main bed rail allows for a few extra inches of clearance and a little wider cut. I did blow that picture up to 200% and it looks like that cant is sitting on the bed rails. So I have the same question, I could cut a maximum of 24" wide like that myself. Maybe there is some tweak I have not found yet to allow a wider cut without shimming the cant over the stops, please share your secret footer...

What do you do for a backstop to clamp against?

dad2nine

Dave Shepard

The cants are usually heavy enough by themselves. There is 28.5" between the rollers, and 24.5 between the backstop and outboard guide roller.

I don't have loader arms, so I leave the ramps from the log deck down when handling the big logs. I have had a big log go down between the mill and the log deck. :o :o It's no fun,and that's without an injury.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bibbyman

Here is a trick I've pulled to square down an oversized log.  I wouldn't advise doing it as it's obviously dangerous.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

footer

I have also done what Bibbyman showed with the 4x4 to wittle down the oversized logs.

The cant in the above pic was sitting on spacers to hold it up over the back stop blocks, and the weight alone is all that holds it there.

Dan_Shade

i DO NOT like having to lower the backstops to slide the log over so that I can get the throat to clear.  it scares the crap out of me....  I'm always afraid of pushing the log off the side with the clamp.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ARKANSAWYER

You mean there is a limit to how big a log you can saw on a LT40?   ???

Sometimes it is a tight fit.  But you got to make what they want.

But you can not saw them very well when they are laying like this on the deck.    ;D
ARKANSAWYER

pineywoods

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on December 01, 2007, 07:42:16 PM

But you can not saw them very well when they are laying like this on the deck.    ;D
[/quote/

Mind telling us how you manage to do that? So's we don't go out and duplicate the feat ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dad2nine

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 01, 2007, 07:40:41 PM
i DO NOT like having to lower the backstops to slide the log over so that I can get the throat to clear.  it scares the scrappola out of me....  I'm always afraid of pushing the log off the side with the clamp.

Me too a 4x4 like Bibbyman has pictured helps. I thought about making up some removable dogs to clamp to the outside of main bed rail so a big one will not roll off the front but have not had time to fashion them up yet.

I'm glad to see folks posting about big logs on a WM, lately it seems more the norm around here. Slap me cause I'm starting to think 20" diameter logs are small.

Thanks

ARKANSAWYER

I had a three sided cant and was flipping the thing over to cut off the last slab with the 2 plane clamp but forgot to raise the back stops.  Just like that the thing was sideways across the mill and hired hand caught me doing it.   Do one like that about 16 inches wide and you will catch heck if it drops between the tire and the frame.   Trust me I know.
ARKANSAWYER

DR Buck

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on December 01, 2007, 09:14:13 PM

I had a three sided cant and was flipping the thing over to cut off the last slab with the 2 plane clamp but forgot to raise the back stops.  Just like that the thing was sideways across the mill and hired hand caught me doing it.   Do one like that about 16 inches wide and you will catch heck if it drops between the tire and the frame.   Trust me I know.

Yea.       About a year and half ago I went to clamp a 28" red oak and forgot to raise the backstops all the way up.   Pushed it right off the mill and got it stuck between the tire and mill frame.     :-[     Worst thing about it was I was sawing at a customer's place and had no handling equipment.    :-[   :(     It took almost two hours t get it loose using car jacks and a small come-along.      You can bet I won't be doing that again soon.

Furby

Why didn't you just take the wheel off ???

Dan_Shade

taking the wheel off = good way to get smashed with a big log....

Furby

Not if you block the log up first.
I don't have a WM and my open space is smaller, but I've been in that type if a situation before.
Worse ones are the short logs vertical between the bunks. ::)

woodmills1

I have cut large logs that the turner wouldnt budge, so cut a notch with chain saw and wedge a 4x4 in the notch and jam it against one of loader arms and use both the turner and the loader to get it to start turning.

yes, will admit to logs off of both sides, a hickory caught between the tire and rail, and the worst was a shrt lump that kinda fell into the mill between the bunks.

here is a shot of a 39 inch elm and then a board from it

here is a maple that was nearly 50 inches and needed to be ripped with the chainsaw first

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

pineywoods

Well I just joined an exclusive club.  Laid  log on the bunks with the loader and it promptly rolled off the back side . Forgot to raise the backstops >:(  Uttered loud obsene oaths, threw stuff in the sawdust pile and kicked the tractor tires.  >:(  Yeah it fit real tight between the tire and the rail and NO I'm not gonna post pics. I'll never do that again ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LOGDOG

:D Brother I fell your pain. Doesn't that make you just want to spit? !@#!@# Hope you got it dug outta there alright.

LOGDOG

zopi

haven't rolled one off the mill (yet) but I knock the whole mill off it's blocks the other night...turning a 22"x12ft cant...oops.
checked level, shrugged, and kept making 2x4s.....

and then made bigger supports for the mill. 
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

mhasel

I've since cut a few good size popular logs 34"+ since the first post and so far so good, the mill has always picked up the logs, however my battery must be a bit weak since I found that I needed to engage the mill to get the RPMs up on the alternator to provide a little extra juice to the hydraulic pump. Otherwise just had to do some creative cutting with the chainsaw but it made real nice 2X8s and 2X6s. Finished setting the headers for a pole barn Monday but it looks like the weather in the midAtlantic isn't going to be very good for this weekend.

Have a good one, Mike

beav39

no problem ive lifted logs 36in dia by 20ft ,little grunting but the lt40 did just fine,remember what bibbyman said watch your backstop and keep your loader up while you turn the log.
sawdust in the blood

Warren

Another tip mentioned in one of the previous threads on big logs deals with which end you start sawing from.  I normally start sawing from the small end.  But on big logs I start from the big end.  That way it is immediately obvious how much material I need to shave off the butt/flare with the chain saw to get the blade giudes and mill frame to clear. Versus getting 7, 11, or 15 feet into the cut and realizing I still have to shave off anouther 3/4" to clear the end, but now the debarker is blocking where I need to be chain sawing....

While the big logs are fun to talk about, and they do yield a lot of lumber, if you are not set up for them, they can be real productivity killers.  I would much rather saw 2 or 3 logs in the 16" to 24" range than wrestle with a 36"
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!