iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oh NOT good

Started by dad2nine, November 29, 2007, 10:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

Loaded a customers dody maple butt log on the mill last thing yesterday, figured I would saw it first thing today. It has some dody at the butt, but was a good clean log otherwise, figured I could scab some grade boards off of it and box the heart and saw till I hit the rot and call it done...

So today I checked the oil, fire up the mill and figured I would let it warm up a bit so I went to the tool shed to sharpen a couple bands. Came back set the mill head for the first cut pulled the clutch and what was that :o oh my God that looked like a skunk. No sooner than I finished thinking those words, I could tell for sure it was indeed a skunk. I shut the mill off and went home. I don't know what that skunk sprayed as it high tailed it out of the dody spot in the butt of that maple, but it sure did stink bad.

What gets rid of skunk spray, I'm afraid I might not be able to saw for a while if I have to smell that.

metalspinner

:D :D

Did he make the trip with the log I wonder? :D :D

I remember some kind of concoction with peroxide and baking soda...

Here it is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_2)#Skunked.21
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

dad2nine

Thanks for the link although I really wished I didn't have to ask for it  :(

How the ****** got in the log I'm not sure but when the guy brought me the log, I took a stick and stick it up in the dody spot to get an idea how far it ran up. I'm guessing he made his way into hole last night or sometime today, I mainly saw in the evenings. I'm going to really hate going back out there and look for skunk spray so I can drench it with peroxide, baking soda and dish soap... Looks like it's a trip to the dollar store for me I may need to stop by the Army surplus and get me a gas mask too  >:(

DanG

:D :D :D :D  Dad, you are one lucky dude! :D :D

A skunk sat on a stump.
The skunk thunk the stump stunk,
and the stump thunk the skunk stunk.

I'm a'thinkin' they was probably both right. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin

Use it to your advantage and sell it as scented lumber.  ;D

WDH

:D :D :D

I got home this evening, and Miss Scarlet greeted me as always, only this time, along with essence of skunk.

Dad2nine, we have both been skunked ;D.  (You worse than me, I hope :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sgtmaconga

tomato juice works good. don't ask me how i know this.
Measure twice cut once

Left Coast Chris

Ouch......... if you have a direct hit with close range skunk spray it can really make you sick.  When attempting to trap a badger as a teen ager I accidently traped a skunk.   He was up against some large rocks and heavilly sprayed them.  It was thick and green! >:(  While attempting to get the skunk out of the trap I got the dry heaves real bad.   

My frineds dad said if you can bottle skunk spray its worth money to perfume companies.   Not sure if he was pulling our legs but it was so sickening there was no way to get it into a bottle.  ::)  Needless to say he did not let us in the house until we hosed ourselves off. :o
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

thecfarm

I know a guy that uses it for trapping.If he see a dead skunk by the road he tries to milk it.He saids the best way is to trap them with a have a heart trap,drown them and than milk them.They still have the fluid in them because they don't spray.He keeps  it in 2 jars,one inside the other.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

:D :D :D :D :D
What a story to read first thing in the morning. I have a feeling that I am going to be smiling thinking about it all the way to work.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Raider

I do not trap skunks, but a freind does :o he takes a hypodermic needle and takes the dark liquid stopes when he hits the whiteish, then puts in vaccine bottle :o sells for abt. $14.00 per oz. 8)    Raider

Cedarman

I have never found skunk odor to be offensive.  I just find it an interesting odor and don't mind it.  Now I have never been sprayed and don't want to be. I have hit several with the car and we have a bumper crop on the highways some years.

I have read where there are some people that are like me and skunk perfume is not painfully odiferous.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

woodbowl

What can a perfume company possibly do with pole cat spray? Remember that colone in the eary 70's called trouble? That stuff gives me a bad attitude before I can think to do anything about it. Something to do with ferrimones I think. I still get a whiff of it every now and then, but it is renamed and sometimes mixed with other scents. Jojabah oil is one of those. I think I'd rather smell a skunk.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

ely

raider that is how we used to retrieve the  scent. we never sold it though. i just saved it in an old vacinne bottle that i had from a vet. we would just shoot it in that bottle to keep it safe. i used to have folks around growing up that thought practical jokes to the  point of destructing peoples things were funny. it rarely took more than 5 or 6 cc of that stuff to straighten them out. we would shoot it into their front seat on their locked vehicles with a long hypo needle. they never did figure out how that skunk got inside the vehicle ;D

Nate Surveyor

Dad 29,

That is one funny story. (if it weren't so pathetic!) Say, how much you wanna sell dat stinkin mill for? (Wink) :D :D

About a mile from my house, I know where there is a skunk cave. Skunks go there for the winter. I have pics of them all piled up in the end of the cave. I did NOT rile them up!

Nate
I know less than I used to.

beenthere

Quote from: ely on November 30, 2007, 09:02:32 AM
...........................they never did figure out how that skunk got inside the vehicle ;D

Sure reminds me of an ATV trip I was on, a short while ago.... ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dad2nine

You guys are a real inspiration ::) But I must admit if I were reading this about someone else, I sure would think it was funny.

What a stroke of luck that skunk spayed the saw dust pile, I needed to clean up anyways. I dumped a couple of bobcat bucket fulls of saw dust from the back side of the pile over top of the stench and got it calm enough for me to see to move it out to the burn pile in the pasture. Now if we were not under a burn ban, I'm pretty sure I could get rid of that stench once and for all. Thankfully the burn pile is a long way a way and I suspect I'll be ok as long as the wind don't change. It still stinks over by the mill bot not near as bad as it did phew... Man being that up close to skunk spray will make your eyes water and give you dry heaves just down right nasty man. How in the world could anyone get close enough to bottle that stench, I'll never know.

TexasTimbers

Cedarman you are a good guy but there is something that is just not quite right about you. :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dan_Shade

I had to go stand in the corner in the first grade after stating that I liked the smell of a pole-cat.

now up close and personal, they're a little much, but the faint far off smell, i'm kind of like cedar man, i kinda like it.  I don't want to have one spray my saw or anything else I own.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Gilman

I don't think Cedarman's sniffer has worked for a long time.  Having one's sinus' packed with cedar would probably make everything smell like cedar.  ;D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DR Buck

I'm a thinkin' that you need to call the customer and tell him you had a HAZMAT incident and his log had to be destroyed. ;D

Then drag the log away from the mill, douse it good with something flamable  ;D  ,  throw a match and run!    :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Nate Surveyor

O! I forgot. It's not your tree to throw away!

You poor soul!

N :D :D
I know less than I used to.

thecfarm

I shot one about a month ago in my turkey pen,just before going to work.It was only really bad for a few days.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sprucegum

When I was a boy I drove down an old back road with 2 other boys, drinkin' somma Dad's medicine and takin' our first real chew o'tabacca. We were going so slow that Dang skunk nailed us good!

I never could get to liken tobaccco after that  :-\ started heaving every time I tried  :D

Thank You Sponsors!