iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bugging my 2x6s

Started by dnalley, November 28, 2007, 11:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalley

Y'all probably wouldn't believe how long it has taken me to learn how to post a picture, but I HOPE I've got it somewhat.  Can't even pass "picture posting for dummies".  My question is, what is this bug?  I'm purty sure this is what made all those buckshot holes and streaks.  Can this wood be used in barn structure?  No access to a kiln but is there something I can spray to kill this vermin?  What say ye?

Hate to lose this wood.  Thanks, Dwight

WDH

Dwight,

The pic did not post properly ::).  Back to the drawing board :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Furby

I'm helping Dwight with this, he'll post a pic of the bug in a few minutes. ;)

beenthere

Good job, both of ya.

I see there is a critter in the gallery too...the culprit maybe.. ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dnalley

Tried to post but it dissappeared.  But with Furby's help we're trying again.  Glad I'm not skydiving!!!

This is not looking good, but many thanks anyhow>  Dwight

dnalley

Thanks a bunch, Furby.  Tried to copy and paste once--didn't work--so I tried it again and Halleleuyah (sp).  Guess you're like the guys I met at Moultrie--a class act!!  Just hope I can do it again when I need to without "bugging" you fellers like those bugs are bugging my lumber!  BTW, do you recognize this critter and recon is there any hope for the wood?  I really appreciate your time and help, Dwight

Furby

No problem Dwight, if ya get stuck again, just ask! :)

I have seen that bug before, but don't know what it is.
I'm sure someone will tell us before the day is over with! ;)

thecfarm

No idea about the bug.Glad to see you can post pictures now.It does take time to learn how.I went through the same thing.Glad I learned how to down size and post pictures.I still have a couple people that send me pictures without down sizing them.And I'm on dail up.Three hours later I get it.I have threated to make these people work on my mill with me or have them dig rocks here with a spade.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on November 29, 2007, 04:29:31 AM
I still have a couple people that send me pictures without down sizing them.And I'm on dail up.Three hours later I get it.I have threated to make these people work on my mill with me or have them dig rocks here with a spade.

:D :D :D We dial-uppers get abused awfully.  ;)

That bug in the pic almost looks like an earwing, although her ovipositors are cut off. They are not predatory as far as I know.

The galleries in the wood looks like ambrosia beetles. You can see the stain of the ambrosia fungus which they cultivate and feed on.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ely

i have those same holes in the pine that i have been sawing here. i also have that same bug but do not know the name or what it does for damage, if any.
the wood that you show in the picture is fine to use for anything you want to in my opinion. i have made coffee tables and sheds and everything in between with it. most people like the way it looks after it is finnished.

Tom

Yep, that's an earwig. Won't hurt a thing.  Feeds on other bugs, rotting vegetation and sometimes, maybe a fresh sprout or two.

The holes in the board are Ambrosia Beetles as Swamp Donkey has identified.  They give live, stressed trees fits and get into new lumber too.  They need moisture to survive and you won't generally find them in dry lumber.  

See the blue stain around the hole?  that is part of the indication of the fungus that they grow to use for food.  They are also responsible for the Blue-staining of lumber  because they innoculate trees with the fungus that turns them blue.  Blue Stain isn't always blue, but can be shades of gray or almost black as well.  It isn't a mold, it's a fungus and can't be removed from the wood because it is growing throughout.  Molds will grow only on the surfaces and penetrate shallowly.  Blue Stain isn't just one specific fungus either.  It can be one of several and the innoculation of the tree can be performed by several species of bark beetle.

Blue Stain can be marketed.  Believe it or not, the holes that you see in the picture of the post above can be marketed also.  The wood isn't harmed, structurely, by the stain and can be treated if desired.

The insect is responsible, indirectly, for the death of many Southern Yellow Pines by innoculating the tree with the blue stain fungus which eventually blocks the passage of nutrients.  You can identify a tree that has been attacked by the "frass" at the base or stuck in the bark, as well as a small hole where the tree's defense is to try to push the insect out with a flow of sap.

dnalley

Thanks folks.  Some very helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum.  I almost gave up on this post but was rescued by Furby EARLY this morning.  All is well.  Internet is cool ain't it?

Furby

Sorry Tom, but that is not an earwig unless it's from Australia.
Everything I can find on earwigs states that they have forceps, both male and female.
The only mention I found of some without forceps, was some from Australia, and I'm not real sure that was correct.
If I'm wrong here, clue me in.
:)

SwampDonkey

Furb, as i hinted to before, that portion of the photo clipped them off. Got a full length photo? If it's not an earwig, it's got to be a relative of the order DERMAPTERA just the same. I guess the proper term is cerci for the forceps.

One clue is the flattened body shape. And the short fore wings.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

I don't belive they were cut off in the pic SD, it just don't look right.

DanG

That's an earwig.  The DanG things are crawling around everywhere down here.  We used to call them "Pincher bugs" when I was a kid.  Most all of'em's got pinchers, unless they're an amputee.  Once in a while, one of'em will get his tail caught in the door or something.  I'll agree with Tom the Entomologist, and Swampdonkey the Forester about the ambrosia beetles.  I find it frustrating to disagree with them on these matters. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

SwampDonkey

Looks like a good match Furby. The number of segments past the fore wing look right. The photo is a little fuzzy, but you can interpret 5-6 segments, while an earwing has 9 or more.

It's all in the details.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!