iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New mill pics

Started by SteveS, April 24, 2003, 02:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveS

I finally got some pictures of my new mill developed and scanned. :) I thought I would share them with you. I think I am pretty much addicted to snortin sawdust now. I am enjoying the heck out of it. Even the sore back that I got from rolling that big triangle shaped log up on the mill! It is a whole lot easier to roll them round ones. :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

Lookin good, Steve. Is that a LT15??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Weekend_Sawyer

Steve,

I like it.
Don't snort too much sawdust, you'll get termites!

I have a question. Do you work on the sawdust side of the mill? Does it kick the sawdust far enough awa that you arent walking up the pile?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SteveS

Fla_Deadheader,
 Ya, The mill is a LT15. I am very happy with it. Hopefully I will be able to trade it in for one of the ones with hydrolics on it. :)

Weekend_Sawyer,
  I walk in between the pile of sawdust and the mill. An inch or two of sawdust makes for a nice walking path there.

Well, I think the rain is bout over with now, i might have to try to do some milling.

Minnesota_boy

My LT-40 dropped the sawdust alongside the mill, but on a long day, I'd find myself walking on the edge of the pile and getting sore legs and feet.  I modified the outlet to blow the sawdust out a bit further.  Occasionally the chute will plug up with sawdust, but not often, but I never walk sidehill until the second day now.  I usually shovel it out of my way then.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Haytrader

It is easy to tell you don't have as much wind there as we do out here on the flat. Heck, I never get a sawdust pile when I saw, my neighbors do.

:D  :D  :D
Haytrader

Mark M

HI Steve

I like the looks of those ramps, do they work well?

I just ordered some parts from Woodmizer so I can add a crank feed to my Norwood. I like the way that works and the fact that it can be disengaged for pushing.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Mark

SteveS

Haytrader,
 The next spot that I moved my mill to was on to of a hill. I cut probably twice as much and maybe had a two-inch pile of sawdust. Luckily the wind was blowing in the right direction for the most part and I didn't get too much in my eyes and ears. :D

Mark,
 The ramps work really well. They were pretty high priced though.

Kevin

I tie a Blakes hitch on one end of the rope and it makes it real easy to pick up the slack when the rope stretches and begins to dip beneath the bolts sticking out of the bed rails.

Haytrader

Steve,

We have had a lot of wind in the last month (more than usual). I found a stock water tank in a feild of mine and finally located where it came from. It traveled over two miles, mostly on a road and didn't damage any fences.
   My saw shed has lots of tumbleweeds blown in. But, so far, we have dodged the circular type winds. One touched down on the county line about 15 miles from here.

Haytrader
Haytrader

Percy

Have blade,will cut. I love it. Thats a pretty big log and yet it looks like your chewing it up no problem. A freind of mine with a manual mill built a roof over it(nice, and heavy duty).  Then directly above his mill, he mounted a block(pulley) and another block at ther top of one of the posts. To that particular post, he mounted a boatwinch(like from a trailer). Then ran a cable with a hook from a busted cant hook on the end of it. With a wrap around the log on the mill and a few cranks of the boatwinch, he turns logs as big as the one you have in the pics, no problem. If you have ennuff cable, you can even load logs on the mill from your logdeck. Its so simple it hurts, and works very well, cost him about 80 bucks Canadian total. He calls it, THE LOGTURNER 2000...heh.. :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Danny_S

Hey fellas, I was reading about your log ramps, for loading your logs, I'm not sure exactly how they work but I was planning on building mine like this.....

Pretty simple, I think, maybe someone else does this, but this was what was in my mind. If you own a mill, you must have a jack-all! (or whatever you may call it)  Just a simple square tubing frame hindged at the mill bed, a little chunk of chain and a clevis, most of those jacks have a hole under the tounge, and just jack her up! :o
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Minnesota_boy

That looks pretty ingeneous, Buck, but I prefer to stay away from the place where logs roll to when things go wrong.  I'd think that it would be hard to handle 2 jacks at once to keep the log coming up evenly too.  I have a hydraulic lift and won't let anyone stand on that side of the mill while I'm loading logs, just in case something should break.  
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

bull

enjoy your new machine !!!
If you do plan to upgrade keep the LT 15 ---- extend to 30 ft etc.... don't sell it...  When the LT 40 is out of service etc. you can fall back on the LT 15 .....
 I upgraded to an LT 40suhd36I and sold my LT 15 and have missed it ever since. The 40 is a great machine but it has seasonal depression sickness. The LT 15 never had a bad day. 8)      GET CRANKIN

Mark M

Hi Buck

I can see where this would work pretty well. Are you planing to have both arms hooked together with a crossbar or something so you only need one jack in the middle? The only thing I would worry about is what happens if the jack tips? you could be in a dangerous spot. That's one advantage of using a winch on the other side. If something happens you aren't in the way. I'll be posting some pictures of my log loader in the next couple of days so you can see what I did.

Mark

Tom

I Don't have all the kinks out of this yet but still advertise every chance that I get.  :D
Log loader

Danny_S

Yea, I was planning on having the two arms come down off the mill, about 6 - 7'apart, as to handle a 8' log, then have a crossbar join at the ends of the arms. Then hook a clevis in the middle...  Roll the log on, hook up the clevis, and jack away. I know there could be a chance of something breaking, but I guess one should just be ready to run  :D  I'm sure I could fashion some sort of safety leg that drops down as it jacks up, that wont let it drop, like a car hoist has. Hey,....that would work....hmmmmm  ::)   Now I'm thinkin again.... :D :D
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Furby

Hey Buck,
 A car hoist (chain fall) on a pole that you can move to the middle would be a lot faster AND easier then a bumper jack. But I still like the cable winch up and over, better for saftey reasons. Good luck and keep thinking. ;)

wiam

Tom, are there 2 cylinders on this lift?  Do you have other pictures?  
Will

Fla._Deadheader

All I see is a DanG barn on a hillside and some pines, Probly Australian !!!!
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

I got the wrong cotton pickin address loaded.  Can't even tell a joke this evening. :-/  I fixed it. :)

biziedizie

Tom you had me wondering about that! Thought maybe you had been drinking some lick-her. :D

Steve

wiam

OK     Who's loader was that and are there any more pictures uot there?
Will

Tom

Lord only knows what picture you saw, Wiam.  I had linked the address to the random picture for the forum.  It would change everytime you clicked on it.

I could make a suggestin though if your connection is quick enough.  Click on the 'Photo Gallery" up at the right corner of the page here  It's in the same banner as Home, Help, search, members, etc, etc. but over on the right.  That will let you choose from the three galleries of pictures on the forum.  The first one has about 2 years of pictures in it and takes a while to load.  the other two are a month or two of pictures each.  

Scan down the list on the right side of the page that you get for anything that says loader.and click on it.  You might also use control F and type loader in it to help you find them. Usually the word loader will be imbedded in the file name so the alphbatizing doesn't help too much.

Thank You Sponsors!