iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Routing Sawhead Power Feed Chain Return

Started by FloridaMike, July 13, 2017, 09:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloridaMike

I'm thinking of running the bottom "slack return" side of the two #40 power feed chain through the 3' x 8" steel box tube side track frame rails (on a homemade band mill).  looking at using a schedule 40 PVC 2" pipe for an inside the box chain wear tube.  I would like to keep the bottom side of the chain out of the sawdust, axles, hydraulic lines, leveling jacks, etc.

Any drawbacks you can see, other then having to replace the PVC on occasion (to prevent the chain from wearing into the bottom of box tube?  Also thought about using UHMW polyethylene as a wear pad (last longer than PVC, but a lot more money).
Mike

kelLOGg

I did just about what you are considering. The #40 drive chain rides in 2" channel iron and the return loop passes thru a pipe with a PVC liner in it. The PVC was a fairly snug fit in the pipe but I used a set screw to prevent PVC from sliding anyway. For my 20' mill it required almost 100' ft of chain (I drive head from both sides). The pic is intended to show the tensioner so you can't see the inserted PVC pipe but I think you can get the idea. It has been in use for almost 15 years and I see no need to replace the liner. but I don't do production work.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

FloridaMike

Thanks for the feedback Bob!  I will go with the PVC and see how it works.
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!