iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It looked like a termite but...

Started by kelLOGg, July 11, 2017, 07:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I was milling a beetle-killed pine and on the topmost 16' log where rot from beetle damage occurred I saw what looked like termites. They were occupying the frass-filled beetle tracks on a section that once was about 45 to 50 ft up in the dead tree. The lower logs produce excellent lumber - no beetles, no termite tunnels. I got my camera to take a pic but the few I saw left the scene, so no pics. Look at a termite and you'll see what they looked like. I know this is not much to go on but does anyone have an idea as to what insects can fool you into thinking they are termites?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kelLOGg

DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Nomad

Sounds like drywood termites.  You're a bit far north for 'em, I think, but that's what it sounds like.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

kelLOGg

Quote from: nomad on July 12, 2017, 12:24:30 PM
     Sounds like drywood termites.  You're a bit far north for 'em, I think, but that's what it sounds like.

Thanks, I have never heard of them but I looked them up and they look identical to this one in the link.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Nd_kEF8r6dK_nUxi16s-IQEsDH&w=246&h=163&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.05&pid=1.7

MbfVA

Anything translucent like that looks like a deadly danger to wood.  If they were getting enough sun, they'd look different  smiley_nananana

I smoosh all the green shiny things I see.
www.ordinary.com (really)

Thank You Sponsors!