iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log Weight

Started by Stephen1, November 27, 2007, 10:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I am picking up some Douglas Fir damaged telephone poles that I have already trimmed the broken & heavy creosoted parts off. I need to figure how much weight these logs are while I am loading them on my trailer. I have gone to the tool box here and can figure out the weight while in front of the computer. My question, is there a printable table or formula I can use while I am at the site?
Steve
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

beenthere

Could just figure the volume of the log (length time area) and multiply times the weight per cuft.

Estimate by using the diameter around mid length to account for taper in the pole.

The Wood Handbook will give some values for weight per cu ft.  Doug fir, at 12% is around 35 lbs per cu ft.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

I believe the creosote would add some extra weight.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Phorester

I can see everybody busting out laughing at this, but...... Are the poles pretty uniform in diameter?  If so, I would think if you could get a 1 foot long section, maybe about the middle diameter of the poles, and weigh it, you could then measure the length of each pole and multiply that by the weight of your representative 1 foot. 

Stephen1

I like that idea as formulas do not always agree with me. When I built my cabin i used a 12\12 pitch roof, simple, and  it was the only formula I remembered from school.
Can some one give the formula for a round log to figure out volume?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

beenthere

Add the area of each end, and divide by 2.  Then multiply that by the length.  If you keep the units right, you will have the volume.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!