iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quick Release Pulley

Started by Cedarman, November 26, 2007, 11:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

Anyone use a quick release pulley with their logging winches? The one that releases the cable when the log gets to it.  Also what do you use around the tree to hold the pulley?  Need one for 12,000# pull.  Who carries them?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Cedarman

Thanks,  that's it.

Now for some reviews from those that have used one.

Dale Hatfield

Cedarman.
I have not use that unit. I have used one made by NovaJack. It was a set up for 2 stroke winch as well as direction change for draging with 4 wheeler. The way that it worked you could pull from main trail use pulley as a change of direction. The rope had a trip built in so as when it hit the pulley the rope jumped out. The only trick was to make sure that you had the trip set at correct distance from the log.
As far as the sling to attach it to the tree. If you pull a 1000#s on one end and have a dead weight of 2000#s on the other,their is 3000 pound of force applied to the change of direction without any friction.
So if the winch has less pull than the pulley can stand  then a 12000 # strap should do .
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Dale Hatfield

I just saw a eye and eye strap in . www.loghomestore.com  10 feet long 28.95. If its hooked basket style its rated at 12,800 lbs.

Dale
Chainsaw Carver

Urbicide

Here is a link to a self-releasing snatch block manufactured by Farmi.

http://www.northeastimplement.com/newpage18.htm

It mounts to a tree with a strap. The Norse is designed to be used with a choker chain but you can probably use a strap with it. Interestingly, the Farmi is designed to be used with the open side of the snatch block facing down. The Norse is designed to be used facing up. I took deivery of my Farmi winch last Monday in the middle of a driving rain storm. It is still on the shipping skid which is sitting on the pallet forks on my tractor. Just too sloppy to do anything. I bought one of the Norse self-releasing blocks over a month ago. Now, through Jan 2, Labonville is having a 10% off sale on all on line orders. It figures.

Dale Hatfield

http://www.novajack.com/en/0105.asp

Check out the quick release. Its made to trip out of the block to allow you to finish the drag. With the others the drag hs to reach the block before it trips,which may not allow you to complete the drag without having to reset or bark up anchor tree.
I think  that if  you were to tie a prussik hitch with some small cord,on the cable it would make the cable jump from the block.If that would be needed.
Dale
Dale
Chainsaw Carver

Cedarman

You guys are good, thanks.
Urbicide, you are going to love your winch.  Learn what it can do and can't do.  Don't pull from the side though, very dangerous.

slowzuki

I have the farmi one and it works great, I don't know how one could work in tight quarters without one.  I use a winch strap which is just a short nylon sling so I don't bark trees.

Thank You Sponsors!