iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved: Highbush cranberry

Started by swampwhiteoak, July 12, 2001, 06:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampwhiteoak

Shouldn't need too many hints.  Leaf arrangement is opposite.

Tom

swampwhiteoak

SwampDonkey

Tiger in the cranberry bush. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

I planted 100 of them a couple of years ago to make a hedge in a damp area. Last year I picked about a mess of the berries to make jelly and what a surprise I got. That jelly came out so bitter we had to toss it. At least the birds like them. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

You never added sugar obviously.  ;D 8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

That had to be it. High bush makes some of the best jelly you can find. Several forum members have had some of ours would testify to that I'll bet. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

One of the reasons the yard here has 3 nice clumps. Gonna be hanging with berries again this fall.  Lots left over for the cedar waxwings this winter. ;D 8)

21incher

We added the normal amount of sugar for jelly and for some reason it was real bitter. Looks like there will be a couple of bushels this year so I may try a batch of wine. The plants were called American highbush cranberry and supposed to be good for making jelly, maybe it has something to do with my soil.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

There are a number of viburnums that all look alike. The ones we grow (from wild) are trilobum. There are others that are not as much alike such as hobble-bush and wild raisin.

bossie71

try waiting till a frost hits them. takes away a lot of the bitterness and easier to process. we have them wild everywhere up here. does make real good jelly. try mixing with a more bland fruit to offset the bitterness.

SwampDonkey

Cranberries on one of the yard bushes. The neighbors picked some, plus whatever the coons have been robbing. ;D

bossie71

i got about 30 of those bushes in the swampy field next to my place. they're loaded w/ berries right now. between those and the mountain ash berries the birds are having a smorgasborg!

SwampDonkey

Had about 20 robins around the bushes yesterday, but they weren't really eating them. They were still picking worms and bugs on the lawn. I guess they just liked the bushes.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!