iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Even I didn't know I could fix that good!

Started by Faron, November 25, 2007, 02:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

To mangle a phrase from a Kenny Rogers song. ;)  My 96 Dodge truck (150,000 miles) has for a long time not shifted quite right.  You have to fool with it for a few miles and get the oil warmed up before it shifts out of second gear.  I had it in the shop this spring, and they diagnosed it as worn bands, and wanted to put in a rebuilt transmission.  I figured I would just deal with it for a while.  I wasn't convinced the bands were slipping, anyway, as it didn't seem to slip or hesitate on takeoff. ::)
While we were harvesting the battery started to fail.  I would start it up in the morning, and sometimes the computer would be messed up, and the engine wouldn't want to stay running. I would have to unhook the battery, and let the computer reset.  I replaced the battery a few days ago, and solved the computer goof ups.  The last few days I noticed although the weather was cool, the truck shifted lots better.  I occasionally have to let off the accelerator a little to let it shift, but otherwise it shifts like it ought to.   8)  Evidentially the battery has not been providing some sensor the correct voltage for a long time.  The battery was new in April, 1999, and I think was in the truck when I bought it. 
I had read somewhere on the forum that running a ground wire from the transmission to the battery sometimes helps shifting problems.  I had been intending to try that, but hadn't got a round tuit.  I wonder what a ground wire might do now.  I must be a lot better mechanic than I thought, as I can fix things I am not even trying to fix. ::) Looks like I might have saved about $1300. 8)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

sawguy21

8) Eight years is a long time for a battery, you got your money out of it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dave Shepard

The batteries in my Dodge are original, got the truck 7/13/99, and they are still good enough to start it on a cold day. That's all I'm gonna say about that. :-X

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pigman

The batteries on my early 99 Dodge are original. :o The tranny shifts just fine, it's a manual. ;D  I will get some more batteries before winter. I think the the old ones are overdue for total falure. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Kas

I had that EXACT same problem with my 96 Dakota with the 42RE transmission, currently have 112,000 miles on it.  Been told that the tranny is failing and will have to be replaced.  Two weeks ago, just for the heck of it I dropped the pan, changed the filter, added ATF+4 (it took almost 6 quarts).  Took it for a test drive, problem still there but a lot less severe.  Due to the cheap replacement pan gasket I used, I had to do it all over again two days later. Now the delayed 2-3 shift problem is gone completly, and I got a new inch pound porque wrench to add to the tool collection.
Scott

Tom

I enjoyed the birthday wish.  Thankyou. 

I also enjoyed the post about the transmission.  Well written and I look forward to more of them.  :)

It's not snowing down here yet.  :D :D :D

Dale Hatfield

Some dodge trannys dont oil in park start in netural and it will refill the TC and you will be good to go.
I dont remember which tranny but mine in the ton truck didnt and dads dakota dont.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Faron

Last spring while it was in the shop I had them change the transmission oil and filter.  It actually seemed worse when I got it back.  I honestly think this doggone truck not only shifts better now, but seems like it runs better.  Seems to have more power.  I don't think I am imagining it.  I thought as long as a battery started a truck, it was fine, but it looks to me like that isn't true anymore.  Dale, we'll give that a try and see what happens, though it shifts good enough now I don't know if I can tell anything. Welcome to the forum, Kas.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Kas

Thanks for the welcome Faron.  Been lurking here for at least three years but never did contribute anything.  I couldn't resist wishing Tom a happy birthday, and since I took that plunge I felt the need to add my two cents since I had the same tranny problem as you....that has been driving my troubleshooting mind crazy(er) for about a year and a half.  If that problem creeps back up, either on your truck or mine, there's two more parts, user changeable, that affect the 2-3 shift, cost roughly 230.00 and only from the dealer. Right now it's too close to Christmas for me to spend that kind of money unless the problem returns AND it snows to the point I need the truck.

And no Tom, no snow here yet either. (St Louis area)  But I bet I get some before you do! :)
Scott

logwalker

Faron, I think you are on the right track with the ground straps. It seems that almost everything needs proper voltage anymore and without a strong ground they just don't get it. At the same time remove all plugs going into the tranny and also the PCM and clean them. I bet your problem will get a lot better. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

DanG

Welcome Kas.  Glad ya came in out of the cold. ;)

Faron, your alternator should have been taking up the slack for the battery once the truck was running.  BUT, if the batt had a shorted cell, it could have been dragging the system voltage down, even then.  Just for giggles, I'd check the voltage across the battery with a digital voltmeter in all situations...1. Before cranking, with the truck turned off.  2. Right after cranking the truck, while the alt is charging the batt back up.  3. With the truck still running after it's been driven and the voltage regulator has transferred.

I had a problem once, with an alternator putting out too much voltage and causing all sorts of havoc, and that's how I found it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bro. Noble

Hi Kas,

Welcome to the forum,  we need more Mo. members ;D  I live in Ozark Co.  but go through St. Louis once in a while.  Say,  whats the deal with that grey rainbow down by the river?  Is that God's warning that you're about to enter East St. Louis? :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Kas

heck, you'd need more of a warning than that!  Maybe it is a secret emiter for a force field to try to keep us east siders caged up over here. Doesn't work too well tho, I get thru all the time.  Hmmm. Wonder what they really use those camers up there for?
Scott

rebocardo

In the FWIW category, when I have a vehicle with driveability problems, mine or someone else's, I put a 6-12 gauge ground on everything.

Using a marine terminal I ground from the battery to the

voltage regulator (Fords)
alternator bracket (GM )
engine block (all)
fire wall (all)
exhaust (all - especially 1-2 wire 02 sensors)
transmission (if automatic)
radiator support (all for headlamps)
frame (all)

These 6-8 grounds can solve a lot of "what if" problems, especially emissions and transmission problems that are hard to track down.

Sometimes just changing the battery gets rid of ground problems because of build up on the terminals.

On your Dodge transmission, frequent fluid changes and an aftermarket cooler are the best things to do. Plus, using the +4 tranny fluid. I have seen a few Dodge transmissions foul up just from a small amount of Dextron II added.

A bad battery can effect the operation of a transmission, especially if it has a keep alive memory function in the CPU. Probably not on a 1996 Dodge.

Part_Timer

A good grounding will sometimes fix the kids also.  :)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Warbird

sawwood

Faron i am a Jeep Mechanic and the problem could be the two sensors
on the valve body. they are the govner sensor and tranducer, We have
replaced a lot of these in the shop. You don't have to remove the valve
body to change, just the sensor holder on the valve body. One outher
thing that might be the trouble is the rear clutch drum and piston. they
have redsigne and that helped out. I would change the two sensors
first.

Lester
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

low_48

Quote from: Kas on November 26, 2007, 04:12:06 PM
Now the delayed 2-3 shift problem is gone completly, and I got a new inch pound porque wrench to add to the tool collection.

How about bringing that porque wrench to the pig roast this year? :D

Faron

sawwood, You think since the new battery improved/fixed the problem one of the sensors might be weak and need replacing?  You would have thought  the dealership shop would have checked out those things before suggesting replacing the transmission.   ::) ??? 

pineywoods

Quote from: Faron on November 28, 2007, 06:23:38 AM
sawwood, You think since the new battery improved/fixed the problem one of the sensors might be weak and need replacing?  You would have thought  the dealership shop would have checked out those things before suggesting replacing the transmission.   ::) ??? 

OK let's try to explain it this way.. We tend to look at the battery as just a storage device, which is not completely accurate. The output from an alternator is alternating current, similiar to what you get off the power line. Not what we need for vehicle use. This ac is run through a rectifier bank built into the alternator case to convert it to direct current. Only problem, it's not good clean direct current, there's all manner of voltage spikes and dips in the output. You can't see them with a meter, the needle won't move fast enough. A good battery will act like a filter to smooth out the peaks and dips. Crank up your pickup, then disconnect the battery cable. It probably will keep on running, but you will most likely see all manner of weird funnies. Why ?  in a word, electronics. Electronics, especially sensors and computers, have to have a good clean source of power, otherwise they do un-explainable things. Think about it, to a sensor a funky ground connection is no different from a loose connection in the power supply side.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Kas

Faron, what Sawwoods said is the two parts I mentioned, I've heard it's a very common problem.  When I had my filter off I looked at these two parts and they would be very easy to change, it's just that I didn't have the 230.00 at the time to spend unless absolutely necessary.

And yes, Low, a porque wrench might come in handy for turning over a pig!  :D
Scott

Stephen1

I had a voltage problem this summer with my 200HP Mercury outboard. When I tried to start it one morning it would crank over, no problem and crank and crank, but it would not start. I finally broke down and took it into the shop, it seems the battery was only putting out 11 volts, enough to crank the starter but not the 14 volts need to fire the electronic ignition. That was an expensive lesson.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!