iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wildcat recipe?

Started by LOGDOG, November 24, 2007, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

Hey Everyone,

Family and I were sitting around talking about sushi today and such and I recalled an appetizer / snack that my ex-mother-in-law used to make up in WI. We called it Wildcat. It was raw hamburger, with onions, garlic, spices, and I want to say maybe some type of citrus juice (might be wrong on that) to cure it. We'd take it ice fishing and eat it on crackers. At first the notion was off-putting but the taste was actually very good. Are any of you familiar with this recipe? I'm sure it goes by another name. Anyone have an idea what it is? It'll be fun to see if the forum can dig this one up.  :)

Thanks,

LOGDOG

Tom

yep, 'That's Tartare (Tar tar)'   It's not cooked enough for me.  :D :D

LOGDOG

Yep ... right on the money Tom. I did some more searching - Steak Tartare. Here was one recipe:

Original Steak Tartare SUBMITTED BY: ITSIE
"The legend goes that Tartare tribes when fighting in the past didn't even have time to stop and cook their food. They are said to have kept the meat underneath their saddles and mince it in this way. Today this dish is a gourmet classic. This dish is eaten like a pate, spread on a piece of warm toast with fresh tomato and onion rings on top. It is very important though to make sure that both the meat and the egg are very fresh because they are eaten raw."

PREP TIME  10 Min 
READY IN  40 Min 
SERVINGS & SCALING
Original recipe yield: 6 servings
US METRIC

About  scaling  and  conversions 

INGREDIENTS
1 pound finely ground beef tenderloin
1 teaspoon brown mustard
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabascoâ„¢), or to taste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon brandy
1 pinch salt, or to taste
ground white pepper to taste
1 egg

READ REVIEWS (3)

Review/Rate This Recipe
Save To Recipe Box
Add to Shopping List
Add a Personal Note
Post a Recipe Photo
Post a Favorite Food List
Create a Menu

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, mix together the beef, mustard, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brandy, salt, pepper and egg until well blended. Arrange the meat in a neat pile on a glass dish, and cover with aluminum foil. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve as a spread on crackers or toast.

Like I said ...initially I thought no way! BUT after having tried it, each year about this time I start thinking about it. Fresh is the key for health reasons of course. Great at deer camp or out in the ice shack while watching tip ups. (For those in the south a tip up is like a yo-yo with a horizontal board above it and a flag indicator.)  ;)

Anyone else ever try it? I'm thinking surely Beenthere has had some?

LOGDOG

Tom

Tip up down here has a different connotation.  Usually it's related to a mason jar and a clear fluid. :D

.........and it'll probably cook that Tartare for you.

LOGDOG

Nice! I've never had the pleasure of trying this white lightning I keep hearing about. Maybe someday. :)

LOGDOG

LeeB

I don't know how far you are from DeRitter, but there used to be a fellow over that that made the best I ever sampled.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

In this part of WI, over the years, just good beef ground twice is served cold, raw, and with some slices of raw onion and rye bread...makes a good appetizer...goes well with a good beer.

Served at most Christmas parties and such, and called Beef TarTar (as Tom said). I usually have to have several spreads of it.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LOGDOG

I'm not too far from DeRidder actually - 3hrs+/-. I'd be interested in knowing who that fella was. I get down there for sawing occasionally.

This wildcat thing seems to be especially popular in WI for some reason. That's where I grew up and spent most of my life but went most of it before ever hearing about wildcat. Like beenthere said ...goes well with a good beer.  :)

LOGDOG

Jeff

In my backyard almost. Our fishing group won the biggest Northern Pike prize about 15 years ago.

Tip Up Town
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LOGDOG

Right on Jeff. Used to love ice fishing derbys. At first glance I thought that was the lake my brother built a house on. But he's on Houghton Lake in the U.P. over by Houghton/Hancock.

LOGDOG

LeeB

Logdog, It's been many years since I've seen this guy. His last name was Cooley. There is a whole tribe of them aroung there. I think his first name was LaVern.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LOGDOG

I think I've met one or two of the Cooleys while I was down there working actually. I'll have to think on that one.

Hey Jeff, forgot to ask .... How big was the pike that took the prize?  :)

LOGDOG

coxy

this sounds good going to try it

Trahlin

In Central South Dakota it is called "Tiger Meat".  Ground round, very lean.  You can but it in a lot of the grocery stores during hunting season.  MMMMMM!
You only truly fail, when you fail to TRY!

Czech_Made

Stake Tartar in Czech Republic, served also with raw egg and toast -  and beer of course. smiley_chef_hat

rhino135

Here in parts of Michigan we call it chop beef it is very good , stores up here make it all year, or you can make it your self. 8) 8) 8)

dnalley

I'd imagine the beer comes first, and probably a right smart of it!

Corley5

I've never seen it in stores in my part of Michigan  ;) :)  Unless it was called meatloaf mix.  Sounds like it might be good fried  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

If I was to try it,I would want to know where the beef came from. Too much junk and thinks that can make you sick in some hamburg now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rhino135

Plaths meats in Rogers City mich. makes it  and Rygwelski's IGA  has it also.

Corley5

It's not at the Plath's in Petoskey  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sandhills

LittleJohn

Quote from: Corley5 on June 05, 2016, 10:07:51 PM
I've never seen it in stores in my part of Michigan  ;) :)  Unless it was called meatloaf mix.  Sounds like it might be good fried  ;D :)

What DOESN't taste better DEEP FRIED ???

Thank You Sponsors!