iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who Does The Cooking At Your Place?

Started by Norm, November 24, 2007, 08:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I was reading a thread on the general board about some guys that do all the cooking at their place. I thought I'd ask what the pecking order was at your place.

I do most of the day in and day out cooking. If I'm working late she makes the meals and while I had a corporate job she did most all of our cooking. Now I hog the kitchen because I enjoy cooking so much. Last night Patty made an apple pie that you could have just dumped a gallon of ice cream on and served me it was so good.

Tom

I was raised in the kitchen but it was Grandmom's kitchen.  Charlie and I were invited in there and taught how to cook things, 'cause, "you just might need to know it one day". 

I still like to cook, though I don't like to clean and will clean as I go if left to my own wiles.  Unfortunately, I'm married to someone who likes cooking and has a gourmet reputation.  We don't both fit in the same kitchen for more ways than one.

Still, I don't worry about food if left alone and will eat good in the house or back in the swamp, either one.  ;D :)

LeeB

I do a lot of the cooking when I'm home. I too, love to cook. I just don't do real well in the cleaning dept. I gave thought to becoming a chef the last time the oilfield bizz slowed down and there were massive lay offs, but I figured out quick that there wasn't near enough money in it to start.  :(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sgtmaconga

Thats me. i do the cooking but it takes a major move on my part to clean.
Measure twice cut once

Daren

We split about 50/50. I enjoy it. Same deal, the wife works long hours at a corporate job. I have to cook or I would starve to death by the time she got home and made a meal. I at least get things started, I cook the meat and she does the sides. I do most all of the cooking in the summer on the grill.

We only eat one meal together a day during the week, supper. We have no kids, so some times (once a week?) it is take out to avoid the mess. I am cooking a big pot of chili right now, that is tonights supper and lunch tomorrow.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Paschale

I do, since it's just me.   ;D

I suspect that when I find someone, it'll be my job too, and hopefully she'll help on the clean-up detail, since that's what I'm bad at.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

flip

Only thing(s) I'm allowed to cook are thick pieces of meat that are hard to mess up, if I had to do all the cooking we would starve :)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

crtreedude

I rarely cook - except for shoving food in a microwave. I once knew how, but barely. Nothing you would want to trust you life with I can tell you.  :o

My wife is a very good cook - but doesn't cook anymore either. We have two full-time cook / housekeepers. One for the office and one for our home. One musn't starve now...

I don't do dishes except in a real crisis. All the sinks in Costa Rica are short and I am not. I will have a backache at the end if I do it - and see above about housekeepers.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

I like to cook and Tammy likes me to cook. I'm inventive when I cook, and an expert at finding interesting meals when everyone else thinks there is nothing in the house to eat. I used to hear that from the kids. I would look in the kitchen and usually make a mental note that I could probably live for 6 months on what was there.

That being said, I am terrified of dirty dishes. Up here at camp when I am by myself as I am now, I've been known to eat toast for a whole day when there is steak to keep from dirtying up dishes. Paper towels make excellant toast plates and can be used to wipe the butter knife. Doing Dishes up here means carrying in water and heating it to wash and rinse.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

At our place, it's about a 70/30 split.  I do most of the cooking in general, but Cowboy Bob can marinate a steak and cook them soooo good, that I don't even try to cook them anymore.  He does a great job on clean up too!   :)
Say when

IL Bull

I make breakfast everyday for my wife and myself.  During the week I cook the meat on the grill and my wife makes the side dishes.  On the weekends I cook all the meals except on Saturday evening.  My wife makes supper. 8)  I felt I was needing a break and she agreed to make one meal a week. ;D  She still tries to get out of it but I try to stand my ground. :D :D
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Part_Timer

Used to be 50/50 but Zac is learning and doing a good job so we let(make) him make supper 2 or 3 nights a week.

Apple pie and ice cream sound good.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

thecfarm

My wife does just about all the cooking.She does not have a job,so she feels it's her job to feed me.She takes her job seriously too.She can really put a meal on.She'll tell me to be in at 1:00 and I'm there,all cleaned up with a smile on my face.I do a right good job at a big breakfast.I will treat her to her favorate,french toast.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bill Johnson

We're about a 50/50 split as well.  I do most of the cooking on the weekend, with an occassional week day supper thrown in.

I used to do a lot of the Christmas baking when our daughter was younger and living at home, but now she's on her own neither one of us bake much.

We have a deal when it comes to kitchen work, when one of cooks the other one usually washes the dishes, my wife usually puts the dishes away cause I've been known to forget them in the dish rack for a day or two. ::)
Bill

Engineer

I cook two or three days a week, sometimes my wife will start prep and I will finish the cooking, other times we'll switch.  Once in a while we'll tell the kids that they are responsible for the meal.  It's fun to do that right about 5 pm on a Saturday when they come up and ask "what's for dinner?" and we say - your night in the kitchen, go find out what's in the house and cook it.  Usually winds up with Trenton, who's almost 13, cooking up some egg dish or something wicked spicy but always tasty (he's already planning on culinary school) or Abbie, age 11, pulling out the pasta pot and making something equally interesting.  Preston, our 16-year-old, is good for making PB&J and that's about it.   We'll get the littlest two cooking some day but right now it's not good to let a 3 yr old and 1 yr old near the stove.   :D ;)

We all share in cleanup duties.  I actually don't mind cleaning up but I can't be rushed.  If I have something else to do the cleaning gets delegated.  The older three kids each have dish duty twice a week and my wife and I get the last day.  We often irritate the kids by doing takeout on our day...   ;D

OneWithWood

Very similar to ILBull.  We use our grill 90% of the time.  I grill and Linnea makes the side dish, usually a veggie.  If it needs chopping, I do the chopping.  Mostly I chop the food but every once-in-a-while I catch a finger.  Better mine than hers she says  :D

I cook breakfast for myself M-S.  On Sunday I cook breakfast for the two of us.

When I stop work around 7-8pm Linnea prepares a cheese and fruit dish that we enjoy in the Jacuuzi ever night.  I make the drinks (usually just mine but every now and then she enjoys a cocktail or glass of wine)  Dinner follows the soak.

Life is simple and good.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pasbuild

I never knew when I would be home so I told my wife YEARS ago not to worry about having a meal ready for me, that was 15 years ago and she hasn't cooked sense  :o
now she is on the road 4 days a week so its whatever cooks in three minutes in the microwave fer me.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

breederman

Terry is a very good cook and likes to.  I can get by but don't like to. If she is  not working at supper time, she cooks.  Most of the time if she is working she still cooks and leaves me instructions.  I really eat good!  :)  She is famous for her breakfasts. Did I mention that I eat good? :)
Together we got this !

Weekend_Sawyer

The Lovely Miss Celest can and does cook but I truley enjoy cooking. I love to have a dish come out better than ever and love to hear people say that was the best meal ever... even if I am twisting their arm behind their backs. ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

faronskid

I hate to cook.  That being said, I do 99.9% of the cooking here.  Not "good" cooking mind you, but everyone gets fed.  My kids think it's awesome when I make pancakes or eggs for supper, they're not a hard crowd to please.  It's a DanG good thing.
5 rugrats = no dull moments here

pigman

My wife and I do  the meal thing 50-50. She cooks and I eat.   
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

tonich

Ditto to what pigman said.

My wife does cooking.
I used to cook for quite a while once, but recently I don’t have much time for it.
Currently, I stay aside from the kitchen, unless for eating.  ;D

dail_h

I do most of the day to day stuff, 'specialy since I don't have a real job anymore. Don't cook fancy stuff,but it is good filling stick ta ya sorta stuff.The onlyest thing I hate worse than edging on the mill is washing dishes,so I don't do it.Main problem is receipt size. How do you cook for just two people? My potatoe and onion soup starts with 50lbs of potatoes. My hushpuppy mix is for a hunnert plates. My soups keep growing into ever larger pots
   Donna is world famous for her corn puddin though
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

CHARLIE

Donna loves to cook and the more people she can cook for the happier she is. She can cook plain homestyle cooking and she can cook gourmet.  She works full time but it doesn't bother her to come home and whip up a full meal in no time at all. Sometimes I'll get the meat started or do the grilling but she's the main cook. I have my specialty dishes that I like to cook once in a while and when I do, I'll look our guest in the eye and say, "Ain't that the best ya ever had?"  :D  I figure a good offense is better than being on the defense.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!