iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone used cooks super sharp blades ?

Started by wle, November 22, 2007, 08:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wle

We use woodmizer blades, anyone could compare or been down this road.

wls

I just order 10, got them the other day, to me they cut about the same as the ones that came with my norwood. But I've only cut maybe a couple cord so far. I did notice that it did take most of the sawdust off the lumber.

mike_van

I've used the regular Red Streaks from Cooks for years, I bought 2 "super sharps" just to try - My opinion is they're no better than the ones I'd been using, not worth the extra $$$$$. I just didn't see any advantage.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

fstedy

I have to agree with Mike. Bought 10 of them the only major difference I saw was they strip the teeth out real easy when you hit a nail. The Red Streaks or Mungsforager blades aren't as prone to stripping.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

deeker

I use the cooks super sharp on my LM2000.  They are the best I have used so far.
To those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.  On an empty C-ration box.  Khe-Sahn 1968

johncinquo

I found no difference between the regular ones an dthe super ones other than the $3.   They were supposed to reduce the dust left on the boards, and I am sure it made no difference.  They cut just fine, both regular and the SS.  Nice folks.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Kelvin

What i've noticed about these types of premium blades is that for me they don't make up for the extra costs b/c most of my blades die from hitting metal before they die of natural causes.  So even if they last a lot longer or something it wouldn't matter for me.  Sticking with one blade helps me with my setting and self sharpening systems.  I hate it when i switch back and forth from harder blades to soft ones.
Just a thought,
KP

shinnlinger

My experience mimics most of yours,

NOT worth it.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!