iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need to wake up my 036 PRO

Started by Dave Shepard, November 19, 2007, 03:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I would like to do something about my 036 PRO. It runs OK, but I think it should do a little better. I had it tuned up at the dealer last spring because the gas line had dried out from sitting. I don't think it runs quite as well as it should. Does this model benefit from opening up the muffler? I would even consider doing some polishing of the intake and exhaust runners if it would help. I put a loop of RSLK on this afternoon, and while it cut well, it didn't seem to have enough power to take advantage of that style chain. I know it isn't supposed to be an awe inspiring saw, but it just seems to be kind of ho-hum lately. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ehp

Yes opening up the muffler will help quite abit , it sounds like the dealer didnot set the saw up like it was so maybe get him to set it again . You need to get them set in different temps. that we have during the year, if the saw was set in the summer in 80F weather and you go out in 10F weather it will need to have the carb set cause the colder air will need more fuel so if you donot do it the saw should burn up cause of being to lean

Timburr

If a simple carb tune-up does not remedy it's sluggishness, check the base engine is up to scratch with a compression test and crankcase vacuum/pressure test.  If all is in order, go ahead with muffler and porting mods. Re-tune the carb afterwards, 'cos porting mods affect the breathing.
Sense is not common

Dave Shepard

Thanks for the input. I need to get a tach at some point, and learn how to adjust them myself. I know many people can do it by ear, but I would at least like to have the tach to check it by. I think the dealer tunes a bit to the conservative side, the saw didn't really seem to rev as high as it should when it came back, unless it was too high to begin with. It did have an over revving incident earlier this year due to some stale gas, boy did it cut good! I dumped the gas and it was back to ho-hum again, but at least it didn't pop the motor. Thanks for the advice.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Captain

I'll agree with the above, make it run right stock before presuing any preformance modifications.

Captain

Chris J

Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

ely

i ran an 036 pro this weekend and it cut ok after i got the chain sharpened properly. i do think it was a bit over barred with that 24 incher  though. if it is supposed to have a 24 i would say this saw needed a good tune up.

Dave Shepard

I took the saw to the dealer in Feb. to get it running. It had been sitting for a couple of years, so they had to put a new fuel line on, as it was bad. I do not know if they took the saw outside to tune, or if they did it in the shop. If if was tuned outside, it would make sense that it was running rich. What is the next step after it is tuned properly? Is there a dual port muffler, or do I need to modifiy the stock one? I would also like to learn how to tune saws myself. I don't want to have to run to the dealer with each saw whenever the weather changes, or I change bar lengths. I have read that a saw should really be tuned in the wood. Thanks.

Dave

sawguy21

Dave, you can tune the saw yourself but it takes a good ear. Under no load lean the high speed out till it it screams then richen it until it just starts to lose rpm and starts to "4 cycle". Test it in the cut and richen it until you feel maximum power. Disclaimer: don't try this with newer saws that have a rev limiter in the ignition. They will start to 4 cycle in an over lean condition, use a tach.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

How about some one with out a good ear ???
Any way other then a tach?

SawTroll

Quote from: ely on November 20, 2007, 09:27:18 AM
i ran an 036 pro this weekend and it cut ok after i got the chain sharpened properly. i do think it was a bit over barred with that 24 incher  though. if it is supposed to have a 24 i would say this saw needed a good tune up.

18" should be good, and 16" even better!

20" and 24" is 70cc territory, mostly....... :) :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!