iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bowl turning from Green wood

Started by Patty, November 19, 2007, 11:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

Over the weekend we turned a bowl from green cherry wood. This is the first time I have turned from green wood. So I have the bowl rough cut to about 1" thick, 6" deep and 12" across.

I wrapped it in brown paper to dry. My question is how dry does the wood need to be for me to finish the project. I have a moisture meter, so a moisture percentage is what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Ianab

Basicailly dry it untill it wont dry any more  ;)

What that is depends on your climate.

One way is to just measure the wood each week and note down the MC. When the percentage stops dropping, then it's basically dry and ready to finish. Any further drying will be in the 'seasonal movement' range and you dont need to worry about it.

Actual number could be 6-14% depending on where you live.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Left Coast Chris

Hi Patty,

I dry mine by weighing the bag and all until the weight does not change any more as Ian mentioned.  That could take several months in the winter in the shop.  I have done some fruit woods (apricot, apple, plumb) and they tend to shrink alot.  I always turn at least three at a time so if one cracks badly or goes too much out of round Im not too disapointed and can move on.   One good help is to not have the heart center in your turning.  It can work with the heart center left in but it often creates wild movement.

Hope it works out.... are you going to show us a pic? :) :)

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Patty

Several months! Yikes!

So what you are saying here is that it won't be ready fro Christmas, eh?  Well bummer.  ::)

I guess poor Norm won't be getting anything this year then.  :D     Poor Norm.  ;D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Tom

You'll have to research it because I don't know the times but you can speed things up by drying in the microwave or oven.  It's a slow process like defrosting but longer. You don't cook the wood.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roxie

Patty, you crack me up.   :D

Sure would like to see a picture of this green bowl. 
Say when

Patty

Tom!  Great minds think alike.   :o

I was thinking some time in the microwave might help speed this up a bit. I guess I better take a photo BEFORE I pop this into the mic, just to be safe. Hard telling what it may look like afterwards...
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Patty

OK I just went back to the shop to retrieve the wrapped bowl. I have it in several layers of brown paper and then into a cardboard box that I taped shut and hid under the bench so it won't accidentally get thrown out with the garbage. Anyway, the paper is now wet.  :o   All the layers are wet. Do I rewrap this into new dry paper, or keep it in the wet?

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

turningfool

patty:is the bowl turned from side grain or end grain? very little movement in end grain type turnings but they can check easily if you dont take the time to dry them properly..would like to see your creation..as per your last post change the papers id they are wet unless you want mold and spalting to begin..i beleive theres a cherry hollow form in my gallery..that was all end grain but pentacrylled it and it turned out fine 8)

Patty

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

turningfool

looks great...good job!! 8)!!..my mistake on the cherry hollow form being in my archive..must have put it in the after the crash archive ;D

mike_van

Norm can eat lots of porridge out of that bowl! Nice start Patty.  :)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Norm

Quote from: Patty on November 19, 2007, 02:20:42 PMI guess poor Norm won't be getting anything this year then.  :D     Poor Norm.  ;D

What! How about this for plan B. ;D

Oh wait I remembered your new rule....no new toys that have to be delivered by semi. :D

mike_van

With the cost of energy now, I'd be happy if my wife bought me some coal - Say about a tri-axle full -  :D

Don K

Patty, We had a pioneer days at our county museum a coupla weeks ago and there was a guy there that was make bowls from cherry and maple. My wife asked if he used dry or green wood and he said green. He uses mineral oil as a rubbed on finish. The bowls were beautiful. You might try it and see how it does.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Furby

Actually Norm, if I recall correctly, the rule was for low boys. :)
That still leaves a ton of wiggle room as semis are still allowed! ;)

Patty

I am not sure how this thread came around from how to dry a bowl to lets buy Norm a new tractor.  ::) 
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

beenthere

Patty
The tractor might be easier than drying the bowl without cracks....but I do wish you good luck and NO cracks.... :) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Hey Patty,

Finally gittin' around ta usin' that big yellow macine   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

The bowl looks good. Tryin' ta dry it without cracks will be a challenge. Don't use the microwave in the kitchen, everything will taste like cherry smells........That's 'seprience talkin' there. Norm might be mad like Jill was   ;D ;D ;D

Pentacryl is 'sposed ta be good. I believe Turningfool uses it. I haven't sprung fer any yet, but I might this winter. I got some really nice green pieces that I don't wanna wreck  ::) ::) ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Patty I have no  idea how this turned to me getting a tractor for Christmas versus how to dry a bowl. I think beenthere started it and then Furby piled on with this talk about my needing a semi so let me apologize for them.

Guys how dare you hijack this thread. ;D

Patty

Steve, funny you should mention the little microwave incident. Jill's words might be similar to what Norm said about me using his good microwave for my cherry bowl.  ::)    I kinda thought our food with hints of cherry might be kinda good....but he didn't see it that way.  ::)

Guess a lump of coal will have to do.  ;D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Furby

Quote from: Patty on November 20, 2007, 04:11:28 PM
Guess a lump of coal will have to do.  ;D

Jeff has one you can probly use! ;D

mike_van

Patty, check out this link http://www.bowlmill.com/  They're up in Vermont, and make & sell bowls from fresh cut Maple & Cherry. Years ago I saw an article about the machine, 100 years old, cuts bowls out of bowls, like a nested set, hardly any waste - They may have some finishing tips there.  Or, you could paint it green, add some little tires, and make vroom vroom as Norm eats his chow -  :D

Patty

I have checked the site that Mike pointed to. It seems they cut  the bowls green, and  add the mineral oil to prevent the bowl from drying. Actually they ship them green and have the customer apply the oil.

Have any of you experienced turners tried this? I guess I could sacrifice Norm's bowl and test this technique, but I would prefer to wait and see what you would guys do.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Thank You Sponsors!