iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If You Were Me....

Started by Grawulf, November 16, 2007, 09:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grawulf

I'm right on the edge of Emerald Ash Bore territory and I live in the middle of approx. 25 acres of woods. Ohio seems to be adding a new quaranteened county each week - I have two detection trees at the front of my property that will be harvested sometime this winter and checked for the critters. I've been clearing some of the dead ash (from drought and ash decline). This is going to be ugly :'( - 30 - 40% of this woods is ash - rest is maple, beech, oak, hickory, walnut, and a few elm left. Would you just start cutting out all ash or take the big ones and leave smaller ones in hopes that that might just be the one that will survive? What say you, oh wise and learned ones? ???  Devan

Riles

Forum member estiers used to work EAB issues, she might be worth a PM directly. I suspect there is a general policy for this situation.

From a generic standpoint, without confirmation of EAB, I wouldn't do anything drastic. If you're that close to a quarantine, I would favor a heavier cut, but only if it fits your management plan.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Ron Wenrich

What you're asking is should you wait for the EAB to overtake your woodlot or should you harvest before the little buggers get there.  A heavy harvest is a preservative measure and changes the management plan.  You harvest to get the highest income that EAB will allow.

Things to consider.  Is the EAB going to overtake your property?  Will values diminish after an EAB outbreak?  What kind of survival rate can you expect if the EAB arrives?  How long do you have?  Are the smaller trees younger and more likely to survive or are they surpressed and more likely to die?

One thing for certain, dead ash isn't worth nearly as much as live ash.  But, markets for ash aren't really great, and I don't expect it will get better any time soon.  My understanding of EAB is that survival rates are really low.  If you have only a few years before outbreak or quarantine, then you won't get much more growth from these trees. 

These are some of the questions you need to get answers for, then weigh out your decision as to what is best for you. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jbeat

Your dilema is similar to one that I experienced when an ice and wind storm, Christmas 04, downed  hundreds of trees on the family tree farm in Southern Ohio. I went out on a limb and bought a sawmill. This has generated much lumber-some has been sold and lots stored for future use. I would'nt be in any hurry but I'd whittle away at the harvest when the ground conditions are the best.
John B

Phorester

I get asked that question a lot whenever there's a newspaper article about EAB. (In fact I get asked questions about western pine beetles, spruce budworm, Sudden Oak Death, anything that makes the national headlines no matter that it's 3000 miles away and would never be in Virginia.) It is not near my area yet, but has shown up about 60 miles east where several hundred ash were cut, and they have established bait trees.

In addition to Ron's questions that need to be considered, you might also consider harvesting the mature ash and thinning out the smaller ones, even if it is a precommercial thinning.  Keeping the trees healthy will make them better able to resist any insect or disease that comes along, although as you know there are no guarentees.

But I'm an optimist.  If EAB isn't there yet, I'd keep the ash but make them as healthy as possible by thinning if they are overcrowded.

estiers

Where are the ash markets in your area?  If they are within the quarantined counties (or your own county), then I would not hurry.  If they are in non-quarantined counties, then I might consider economics.  Feel free to pm me with any questions.  Or you can wait and ask the people who take your detection trees down.  They should have the answers, or know who to put you in contact with to get them in your area.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Grawulf

Thanks for your replies everyone - I am pretty much forester, logger, sawyer,  broker and processor for my woods and most of it goes for use in my contracting business and home. The quarantine will come, and probably very soon so I'm not concerned about loss of value. I really just want to be a wise steward and lessen the impact of losing all the ash at one time. What would you encourage to replace the ash? Maple and beech are in abundance. Even though beech isn't sought after, it does make some respectable furniture and firewood and a good deal of them are healthy - not hollow. Red oak grows well here - I do need to thin out some rogue trees and it will open up the floor for.... what?? If I just let nature take it's course - it'd be maple saplings - they're everywhere. What would you suggest? Thanks again!   Devan

Corley5

But how long will it be before beech bark disease makes it to your area?  :( 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!