iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Digital Camera for the Wife

Started by submarinesailor, November 16, 2007, 06:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

Ok, I need some advice.  I have decided to get Erlinda, the wife, a digital camera for her birthday.  So all you guys who shop at COSTCO and know enough about digital cameras to be dangerous, go check them out and tell me which one to get her.  Please remember, she can NOT get the VCR/DVD player to work.  The bigger the viewing screen the better.

If you want a real good laugh, you should listen in when I try to teach her how to use Excel over the phone. ::) ::) ::)  She needs one real bad because the grandsons and living with us for the winter.  And she wants LOTs and LOTs of pictures.

beenthere

I like the Kodak Easy Share (have the 643 and the 743). Easy, lots of features, and priced around $140.  Don't know if Costco carries them...they are not around here.

http://search.kodak.com/?pq-locale=en_US&global=en&q=743
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sgtmaconga

my wife loves the vivitar 5386 i got her last year. easy to use and upload
Measure twice cut once

asy

Have a look at some of the smaller Panasonic cameras, like the TZ series.

They have a HUGE screen on them, are really easy to download, and, best of all they have a REALLY good optical zoom. Most are 10x zoom, whereas most cameras (such as the kodak range) tend to be around the 3x zoom. This is really handy especially with kids.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

DanG

For someone who is new to Digital cameras, one of the most difficult things is getting used to looking at that stoopid little screen to line up the pic.  It ain't real pleasant for those of us who have been using them for a while, either!  That is the thing I like best about my Dimage Z10.  It puts the digital image in the viewfinder, just like a good ol' SLR.  It has an 8x optical zoom, and is big enough to hold onto with something besides your fingertips.  Unfortunately, the Z10 isn't a current model, but there are others with the same features. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

asy

The Dimage sure is a great series of cameras!

I thought, based on his post, that he was looking for a little compact camera, and thought the dimage was a little big. It's well worth looking at, though!

pigman

Quote from: asy on November 16, 2007, 09:57:01 PM

whereas most cameras (such as the kodak range) tend to be around the 3x zoom. asy :D
My kodak Z710 has a 10Xzoom. :) The 10X zoom does make most cameras a little large for the shirt pocket. :(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sawguy21

I just bought a Canon PowerShot A340 to replace the Kodak I misplaced. ::) I have not played with it a lot but the software seems easier to use than Easy Share. One feature I do like is the recessed off/on button. I could not carry the other one in my pocket without turning the DanG thing on and killing the batteries.
It has a lot of gee whiz gosh golly doodads, apparently I can even shoot short movies, but the basics are easy to learn.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

If you buy a Kodak, just dont install the Easyshare software ::) Windows XPs built in software will let you download the pictures just fine.

Even the hi tech cameras have a Big Friendly Auto Setting.  :D

My current camera is Sony DSC-H7, has 15X optical zoom and all the bells and whistles. Best thing I could find without going to a DSLR. Still easy enough to use if just switch to auto mode  ;D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

submarinesailor

Asy,

Thanks for the info on the TZ series.  COSTCO carries the TZ3 for $290 without shipping. I need to check and see if they have it in the local store.  It has a 3" screen with a 10X zoom.  The rub is that's its a little larger than I think she wants.  So do I keep looking or go for the more capable camera???

Bruce

beenthere

I've learned to "go with what she wants".. :) :) :)  unless you are the one that wants to end up with it.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

I'm not going to recommend a specific camera because everyone has their own preferances. I would suggest you go with one that has a rechargable battery. Digital cameras eat disposable batteries like candy.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

That seems to be the case with most of them, Radar, but hasn't been the case with the Dimage.  I think the biggest factor is that I don't use the screen very much.  When I switch the digital image into the viewfinder, it turns the screen off, and that seems to be the big battery eater.

Linda's Kodak Easy-Share has to be plugged into the docking station to recharge, and that is a big inconvenience.  I'm thinkin' that the replaceable/rechargeable batteries might be the best compromise.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ianab

The best option is probably one that takes normal AA size batteries, then buy a couple of sets of rechargables NiMH and a charger for them.

My Sony has it's own LiIon battery, very light and compact, but you only have the one battery, and it's an expensive one  :(  With standard batteries you can get a couple of sets, and even keep a spare set of Alkalines in the camera bag in case you get caught out.

Usuing the flash seems to be the biggest battery killer, followed by the screen. If you are using neither then you should get really good battery life.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Furby

Yup, rechargeable AA or AAA is pretty much the only way to go unless you don't plan to take many shots at any given time.
I was running through two sets of rechargeables and starting on an alkaline set each day of the ATV trip.
At work and such, I end up changing out a set a day most times.

asy

My camera has a battery pack, not AA or AAA or anything, and it takes hundreds of shots before it runs out. In any case, you can get replacement battery packs pretty cheaply on ebay. I have a couple and keep them charged in my camera bag just in case I take more than a couple of hundred shots (a regular occurrence).

I find the battery packs seem to last a lot longer than AA batteries before they run out. That might just be perception, though.

Furby

I get several hundred pics off a set of AA. :)
The thing I like is if I get caught without a way to charge them and run them dead, I can buy an alkaline set almost anyplace.
Had it happen earlier this summer on a trip to Boston.
Actually had 7 pairs of AA with me and all of them were too far gone to run the camera. ::)
Fast stop at a truck stop and a $1 later and I was able to take pics again. :)

Thank You Sponsors!