iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Motor mounts on a Woodmizer question

Started by Jim_Rogers, November 16, 2007, 05:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Has anyone of you other woodmizer owners ever changed the motor mounts?

What I asking is the mounts that go between the plate the motor mount to and the frame itself. This is the plate that lifts up when you pull down on the clutch lever.

My 24 hp Onan engine is wobbling around some now and I just got in the new bushings and I plan on doing this sometime.

I just wanted some advice from someone who has done it as to how easy it is or how hard it is.

It almost looks like I should remove the engine to get access to the plate so that I can swap out the pivot mounts.....

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim Rogers
LT30HDG24 with a little over 5300 hrs on it....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

musikwerke

I replaced the motor mount pivot bearings on my 1987 LT30.  I am going to assume that yours are the same: round rubber mounts with a center bronze bushing.  On mine the bushings were fine but the rubbers were squashed flat.  The new ones seemed to be made out of a much more durable rubber.  There are very easy to change out but I'd highly recommend removing the engine first.
John

Bibbyman

Quote from: musikwerke on November 16, 2007, 07:33:38 PM
There are very easy to change out but I'd highly recommend removing the engine first.

Why do you recommend removing the engine?  Did you look at the way I did it with an engine that likely weighed twice as much as a 24 hp Onan?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jim_Rogers

Bibbyman:
I did read your thread in the link you provided.
However my plate that the engine is mounted pivots on a similar rod on the log side of the mill, and this pivot is covered by a housing so that I can't just slip a bar in there and lift the pivot up....
It is completely enclosed.
It has two U-bolts holding the bushing to the bottom of this housing...
I don't seem to have a picture of this on hand at this time, but I'll take some when I do it....

Thanks for your advice anyhow.......

Tom

I removed my engine to replace those bushings too.  Good thing I had a backhoe handy to lift it.  I seem to remember a lot of enclosure to mine too. There were a few busted knuckles, scraped arms, pinched fingers and lot of blue air.

MartyParsons

I just replaced a set in the field last week. I removed the u-bolts and the turnbuckle from the clutch handle. Then remove the break strap. I supported the engine with a rachet strap from a beam above the mill. On the older mills you will need to cut about 1/8 from the aluminum mount to get it to fit. ( if you look there is a line scribed on the bushing, cut to the inside of the line Sawsall works good) I replace all the rubber mounts with the aluminum ones. WM Part # 016380 Make sure you watch the alternator Hot 12 V connection ( remove the battery - so you dont get sparks) . It took about 1/2 hour to replace the bushings.
   If you have a newer mill like Bibbymans picture you will need to support the enigine and pull the long rod out of the mounts. These mills are a little easier. I have seen the welds break on some of these that let the rubbers get realy pushed out. So check close. I couple of welds and you are back in business.
If you have other questions send me a e-mail or call. The 24 Onan is not real heavy it would be a lot easier with the engine supported.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: MartyParsons on November 18, 2007, 08:28:08 PMOn the older mills you will need to cut about 1/8 from the aluminum mount to get it to fit. 
Marty

Marty:
Do you consider my '94 an older mill?
Will I have to cut the aluminum mount?
Jim

MartyParsons

Jim you will need to cut the bushing only if they are aluminum part # 016380. The newer engine mounting will have a removal piviot point shaft. Jim yours will be welded to the engine mounting plate. Did you get the bushings yet? They may have sent you two part # P12164 and P05041 one is the rubber and the brass bushing. Do not cut these if that is what you have.
I advise you to install the 016380 bushings and you should never need to replace them again. They are a self lubericating bushing.
My parts manual does not show the 016380 it shows P12164 and P05041. I have replaced a few of these with no issues.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Jim_Rogers

Marty:

I did get the P12164 and P05041....
Thanks for your advice...

Jim Rogers

MartyParsons

I am not sure how the new rubber holds up. ? I know they did some changes from the first design. The mounts you recieved will work and the procedure for changing them is the same. Just dont cut the rubber.
Marty

Thank You Sponsors!