iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dump Truck

Started by OneWithWood, April 22, 2003, 11:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I just got the estimate for putting in the foundation and slab for my sawbarn :o :o
I think I will probably be doing all the work myself.  I am capable of laying up the block and I think I can finish the slab.  One of the big costs is the stone fill for under the slab.  Because of the terrain I am looking at some 400 tons of stone.  I have other uses for stone so I am thinking of acquiring a dump truck so I can buy the stone direct from the crusher and save on the haul bill.
Where can I find some good info on the dos and don'ts of buying a used dump truck? :P :P :P
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

Buying and then reselling a used truck shouldn't be a real big trick. Licensing and insurance may be another matter, though. Better do some serious research on these items before you make up your mind.
That being said, I think a good flatbed dumper could be a real asset to your business, later on.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ksu_chainsaw

around here, lots of people get used dump trucks from state surplus.  they have lots of miles (over 200,000) but they still have lots of work left in them.  For most dump trucks you will need a CDL.  you might be able to find a small dump truck under the CDL limits, but most of those are beat up and don't have too much life left in them.  The hydraulic systems often leak and transmissions are slipping bad- i got one and sold it the next day because of the tranny.  Hope you find a good one.

Charles Wist

jimbo

being in the excavating buss i would suggest you do some excavation and use some of that to fill in and use less rock,i dont think you will be any better off having that truck around that much for that job      just my openion

ADfields

I have owned and ran trucks all my life and I am sure it will be way cheaper in the end to just buy the rock delivered.   Trucking is a very cut throat business and little or no profit is made in the trucking of materials.   The rock pit would be happy to see you with a truck as they make the money on mining, crushing, sorting the rock and the transport is just a necessary evil.   400 ton is 23 or 25 loads witch is just 1 good hard days work for 1 tractor trailer if it's around 5 or 6 miles a trip.   Up hear in Alaska with fuel near 2 bucks I can get 400 tons moved for around $1000 to $1500 and a truck worth having is way more then that so I don't think it would be a good move at all.   Now if you have a pocket of rock, sand, gravel or something on your place that you could use it could be very worth while.
Andy

Weekend_Sawyer

You could do like I did. I bought a dump kit for my F350 from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. cost ab out $1000. Of course it will olny haul about a ton and a half of stone any more or if the loader puts mostly up by the cab and you will be hand unloading some of it.

I would upload the image but it looks like this darn new Mac don't want to do it. It is in the older photo gallery under dmptrk.

Also, you might look into the farm use laws in your area.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Rick Schmalzried

I am originally from Kansas and agree with KSU that used dump trucks aren't that expensive (farm types even less) and you could probably use it and then resell it for little to no out of pocket expense.  However, there are several other expenses that you do need to think about before you make the right decision for you.  (Which may not necessarily be the right decision for others   ;D ).

First is the amount of time it will take you to haul the material.  The trucks I am thinking about for cheap could only carry about 6 or 7 tons.  That is going to take a lot of trips.  What is your time worth?

Second is the amount of fuel you will burn.  The trucks only get 4 to 6 MPG.  If you are running 20 miles each way that will get expensive.  If only 2 miles, not so much.

Thirdly, make sure you find out if the rock/fill supplier has a loading charge.  The one near me has a minimum $15 charge if they load the truck.  If the truck is big enough this won't be an issue.  You are certainly NOT going to hand load all 400 tons if it is too small.  If you get a dump conversion you likely will pay more for the minimum loading charges than you would have to just have had the material hauled in.

Now the real key to all of the above is...do you WANT a dump truck?  ;)  Are you needing justification to purchase it?  ;)  If so, absolutely, a dump truck is exactly what you need for this job.  :D  8)  :D

--Rick
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

Frank_Pender

I do have a 10 yd unit, which is a F800 Super Duty 1968, gas guzzler at 3 miles to the gallon.  When I have neighbors with god sized jobs and they need some help I use it. :'(  Otherwise I use my F450 with a 10 ton mint tub hoist and a box attatched from a 1954 Duce and a half Dodge.  I can easily haul 12,000lbs up a 3 1/2 mile grade from the pit to home is 7 minutes and 2 to dump. ;D  Get a smaller unit and us it if you are close to the pit.  If not have it hauled.  spend you time spreading and compacting the hauled rock.   Better use of your time and save your dollars from overhead.
Frank Pender

OneWithWood

Great advice!  I knew I could count on you guys for the straight scoop.
As much as I would like a new (to me) toy all the sage advice has put me back on the more sensible track.  The crusher is some 25 miles from my place.  Given that I cannot afford a tri-axle the most I would be able to haul would be 8 ton at a time.  The costs just won't add up no matter how I do the math
So it is off to the backup plan.  I am going to do some serious landscaping and level off the ridgetop as best I can.  Hopefully I can level the ground up and still keep the two white oaks and one walnut that I was hoping to keep at the corners of the barn.  The shade would be nice and it just seems fitting to have some quality trees next to the sawbarn.  It will probably take about the same amount of time to move the dirt as it would to haul the stone.
One With Wood

Bro. Noble

OWW,

Maybe you should think about buying a DOZER ;)

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

OneWithWood

Noble,
I have a 70s JD450CA with a bucket and timber winch.  The bucket unfortunately is not a clam shell but it removes easily to fit the logging forks.  The dump truck would have been a nice addition especially if it came with a trailer!  Mebbee somday ::)
A dozer would make the job easier but I will just have to make do ;)
One With Wood

Thank You Sponsors!