iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good Gloves

Started by little Bark, November 16, 2007, 11:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

little Bark

I was just wondering what some of you guys use?  I typically will end up not using my gloves just because I  feel like I don't have  good control of the saw with them on.  I grew up working farms w/ gloves on all the time.  I would think it would be easy for me to overcome.  Has anyone tried using the mechanic style gloves ( tight fit ).  Some are very expensive for a good pair. ( 35.00 - 50.00 $ ) I know it is not the safest practice not wearing gloves. 
Always use the rite tool for the job.

beenthere

"Safest practice" wearing gloves with a chainsaw, only if the gloves are chainsaw safety gloves..with the built-in protection against a cut from the running chain..other gloves will cut up about as quick as skin will, if in contact with a running chain.

I don't use gloves unless they are leather (I like the thin deerskin leather ones) or cotton jersey. I don't use bulky gloves with insulation in them. I don't use the faddish mechanix's gloves (closest I've come is on the ATV ride, and had some John Deere mechanix gloves).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

little Bark

Quote from: beenthere on November 16, 2007, 01:53:23 PM

I don't use gloves unless they are leather

I agree.

Never used the insulated gloves either

Tom

I use split leather work gloves with canvas/heavy cloth backs and short cuffs.  They might not be good against a chain, but they dull vibration and keep my hands from being chaffed by bark or stuck from blackberry vines and briar.   They are also inexpensive. Their are some manufacturers that actually make some that are fairly comfortable.

I like the feel of driving gloves, but they are too easy to damage and to expensive to put in briars.  I'm talking about the ones used for driving or roping.  Some are deerskin.

Max sawdust

Husquvarna makes a leather glove, thin and supple.  Very nice they are blue and white, got mine on the internet.  I feel I have more control when wearing them. 

I know what you mean about heavy gloves, I have not found a good winter glove yet.

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Ironwood

The best leather glove I have ever found were in Cody Wyoming, in the fall of 2006. THey were in a western store right in town, and were sized by number, I remember trying 9-9.5- and 10. The fit is exceptional, and they wer top shelf leather (thick) and cost about 30-40 bucks. AWSOME, I will calll them when I need more.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

beenthere

The most comfortable leather glove I've had is a pair from LogRite...They have a great source for theirs.
I'll be ordering some more of those, as the pair I have has held up well, but won't forever...firewood is rough on them.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Quote from: beenthere on November 16, 2007, 06:12:38 PM
The most comfortable leather glove I've had is a pair from LogRite...They have a great source for theirs.
I'll be ordering some more of those, as the pair I have has held up well, but won't forever...firewood is rough on them.

Yep! They are comfortable. ;)

Engineer

I go through all different types and styles of gloves trying to find the "right" pair.  I have very wide hands with short fingers, so an XL is just barely enough but the fingers are an inch too long.  I've always liked Wells Lamont gloves, they sold a style that was a pigskin leather with a long cuff for wrist protection, and I lost them.  Nobody in town sells them anymore.  I'm using a generic Mechanix-type now that I got from Home Depot and it works well for chainsaw use, I wouldn't want anything bulkier, I guess.

arojay

I use the orange woven synthetic gloves with rubber gripper on them, available from Bailey's and others.  These are pretty hard wearing,hold no water, are surprizingly warm and reversible, so that you can switch them as wear begins to show on one surface.  Oh yeah, they are cheap too.  I can wear these to almost -18C/0F for sawing and setting chokers etc. but they aren't warm enough for skidding longer turns or plowing snow.  I use leather mitts with one finger(around here they are called chainsaw mitts??) and removable wool liners.  For my money, unlined leather dampens quickly in winter because snow sticks and melts on it right away.  Before I had saws that were well sprung, I used to wear lined mitts and gloves a lot more, for vibration dampening.  With heated grips on the saw I can wear the orange gloves for temperatures as cold as the rest of me want to be out there.  I don't start the skidder if it is -30C/-22F but I'll buck firewood etc..  I find the "mechanic" type of gloves are trendy and fashionable but not so practical for me.  I use the Atlas thermal type for mechanicing in colder weather.  That's my story and I'm sticking with it.       
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Max sawdust

WOW synthetic gloves, Id say I live in northern Wisconsin so they can not be warm enough, but arojay is in the Yukon :o.

Sold me ;D
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

rebocardo

Well, I can't commit on gloves for a chainsaw in a cold climate, but, in NH chopping wood or felling trees with saws and axes, I liked syn. insulated gloves that had leather grips in the palms and fingers. The leather helps grip the handles and keep the head straight.

The mechanics gloves are lousy for tree work, too hard on and off (I always remove my gloves to fuel and oil my saws), and the bark rips them up. They last maybe a week if you are lucky.

I use chainsaw gloves and double palmed leather gloves depending on what I am cutting and how.

If I am felling a tree bigger then 25" I am likely to wear the chainsaw gloves because the risk of kickback is greater. Or if I am going to bore a tree I wear them.

If I will be handling a lot of wood, I wear the cheaper double palmed for vibration insulation and because they are thicker and better made then the cheap singles.

What I look for in a glove is good, stiff, thick, cuffs, which a mechanics glove does not provide. I had a chain break once on me and the chain whips back pretty good and a good cuff is important there. The whole chain was off before I even noticed it and without good cuffs I would have had a few scratches for sure.

No matter what glove I have bought so far, with a week of handling wood, it is toast and needs to be replaced.

If you search on my user name and the word "glove" it will pull up a previous topic about what people use.

maple flats

My vote goes to Logrite gloves. I had a couple of pairs and they were real good quality, sizing and were great in durability, however they are not chainsaw safety gloves. If i need gloves when I am out of my Logrite gloves I get heavy weight deer skin gloves.
Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

little Bark

Quote from: maple flats on November 19, 2007, 01:19:41 PM
My vote goes to Logrite gloves.

The Logrite gloves seem to be a popular choice.  I went to their web site and they didn't have gloves listed in there onlie store anyother place I may be able to find a pair.  I think I would like to try them out.

scsmith42

I have two types of gloves that I like.  If I want some thick protection, I'll wear a pair of elk skin gloves.  These are much softer than normal leather gloves, but offer good protection.  Cabelas sells them, and you can also find them in western towns such as Jackson, etc.

For milling, board handling, and all around use, I prefer the Atlas #370 Palm Tech gloves.  Mark Strickland (GA_Boy) introduced them to me, and I wear them just about every day.  You have very good control and feeling through them - enough so that you can thread small nuts onto bolts while wearing them.  They do not offer as much protection as thick leather, but are practical for most uses.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Mooseherder

little Bark, The Logrite gloves were a nice surprise when I ordered something from them. I should have mentioned it earlier but wasn't sure if they were still doing that.
They sent me the free gloves last year. :)

little Bark

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

little Bark

Quote from: beenthere on November 20, 2007, 10:32:38 AM
Not like mine... :)

Where do you order yours from?   That link came from the logrite home page

Mooseherder

Those look like them. ;)

little Bark

Cool, Christmas is coming now I have a strat to my list. :) :) :)

Rancher

Firewood is indeed hard on leather gloves. The constant wood sliding off thegloves wears them quickly. Lately I have been plum shocked at how well the gloves that are half lined with latex have lasted. Enough so that I actually bought some for myself after finally trying some that had been given to me. There are even some of them with extra lining inside for winter(we'll see).
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

oldsaw

I've got two pair of cheap split cowhide gloves that I just love.  One pair has been sweat through so many times that there are white salt stains in them, the other isn't much better.  They seem to be "just enough" for most situations.  I've got some nicer ones, but the cheap ones are roomier and get on and off better...especially when sweaty.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Burlkraft

I liked my Logrite gloves for the 30 seconds I had them. Jill claimed them and I have not seen them since  ::)  ::)

I do like Kinko gloves. The local Stihl dealer sells them. They are made form pig hide and seem to last longer than cow hide. They come insulated and non insulated...
Why not just 1 pain free day?

barbender

Kinco does make a nice pigskin insulated leather I like a lot, they are very durable and warm. They also make some of the rubber gripper gloves that I really like. Theirs come either insulated or non insulated, and they are made out of acrylic or something not cotton like the other latex palm gloves I've seen. They are the cheapest I've seen too, around $7 for the pigskin and $4 for the "latex thermal knit"
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!