iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

are my eyes playing tricks

Started by sgtmaconga, November 16, 2007, 06:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtmaconga

i'll ask this here and see what the logrite folks say. i spotted this in northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company catalog yesterday. is this a logrite cant hook?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200333229_200333229

if not they copied it and logrite should get them for it.
Measure twice cut once

WH_Conley

It's a knock off. That has been discussed before, don't know about the outcome.
Bill

flip

Ain't it great how the off shore (China folks) honor designs and patents?  That really woofs me off >:(
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

thecfarm

If Jeff was here,he would have something to say too.Do they have a lifetime warrenty like Logrite?? :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

leweee

Quote from Chinese manufacturer "We always COPY RIGHT" :D 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Warbird

Quote from: leweee on November 16, 2007, 09:54:05 AM
Quote from Chinese manufacturer "We always COPY RIGHT" :D 8)

"And we sprinkle it with lead, so it's even better!"

DanG

What ticks me off is that the Gov't doesn't enforce the patent laws on imported goods.  We can't stop the Chinese from making the things, but we could sure stop them from being sold in our Country! >:(

I don't do business with northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company anymore, because of this issue.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Captain

I'm with DanG.  The folks at LogRite are really standup individuals, and I will support them in any way.  In testing with the LogRite folks, the geometry was copied in every way for the Northern Version, but the materials, especially the aluminum handle, are not nearly as stout as the original.

Buy American Made whenever you can.  Our future depends on it.

Captain

rbhunter

Last nights paper had an article about the spying on small and midsized American companies by China. I could not find a link to the article on the newspapers site.

But what makes me really mad is China is given favored trade status because the stupid people in the US want everything cheap and do not care what they are stealing from us or about the the things like lead paint on toys being sent to us. The politicians don't seem to care either. The large companies do not care because they benefit from the cheaper suppliers and can have larger markups. When I worked for a large shoe company corporate office they would send packets around to encourage people to write congressmen and senators to vote to keep China most favored trade status so they could import the shoes cheaper.

Randy
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Qweaver

I'm with Dang, no more business for Northern. 
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

flip

China has favored trade status because they are our biggest creditor.  Until there is an international standard for recognizing patents and infringements on designs we will always play this game.  I can understand Northern wanting to sell things and make a profit but most of what they sell is knock-offs and cheapie stuff, at least that's what I think of when I hear Northern or Harbor Freight.  We could probably go into pages and pages of comments on trade desparity but we all know until other nations quit devaluing their currency and the government pulls out thier b@ll$ and starts putting tariffs on certain (not all) imported goods the playing field will be less than even.  The Chinese are professionals at stealing technology and intellectual property.  If China, India and some of these other "developing" nations actually had to spend the $$ to either buy or develop their own things we wouldn't be able to buy cheap scrappola from there, which is all right by me.

metalspinner

The competition in my market (musical instruments) will out right steal a design as well.  The worst of these companies is a Japanese owned group that also manufactures outboard engines, motorcycles, jet skies, and everything else it seems. ::)  A small custom instrument maker will hit the market with an innovative idea and soon enough here comes this Japanese  Co.. >:(  I manufacture all my own stuff to try and stay low profile, but that keeps my costs high.  So far, my customers don't seem to mind.  If I wanted to import my stuff there is no doubt the market would be flooded with cheap knock offs.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

flip

The key is to be successful but not too successful, good but not too good.  If you stay below the foreign thieves radar you will be OK but watch out if you start getting big time.

sgtmaconga

Well northern lost my money as well. i'm saving for my logrite.
Measure twice cut once

Dave Shepard

I don't do business with them anymore, either, although I was already in a buy local mindset anyway. I don't have anything against buying foreign products, but the country must have all the same, or higher, standards as the US. For instance I buy Stihl saws, some of which are US made. Germany certainly has done plenty to ensure quality of life for it's citizens, i.e. pollution, emissions standards, and employment practices. [insert fledgling industrial nation of your choice] is not on the same level of standards, and offers poor working conditions, and little, if any, environmental regulations. I believe if they offered the same quality of life as the US, they certainly would not be able to undercut our prices. If we continue to buy from these countries, we might as wel throw away all of our efforts to become a greener, less polluting society. I am not saying that third world countries shouldn't try to improve themselves, but to do so at the cost of all the hard won progress made will sink all of us.

Logrite is a great company to deal with, and worth every penny. I recently expressed interest in their products, and was contacted via the forum. I ordered a 60" cant hook, which I recieved the next day. 8) 8) Talk about service! ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rebocardo

> because the stupid people in the US want everything cheap and do not care
> what they are stealing from us

Walmart!  I try to avoid that store whenever possible.  Getting distributed by Walmart is like getting a kiss of death for any OEM. My wife still does food shopping there once in a while.

sparks

I just sent them an email telling them how I feel about it. I'll let you know their response if they respond. Pretty sad the way businesses operate today.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

farmerdoug

I quit buying from them when LogRite first pointed out the problem.  The way I look at it is how many of their other items are knockoffs.   ::)

One thing that I am always telling people is that China's businesses have no morals.  Just look at what they are sending us as products.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

johncinquo

Read the review.  He mentions Logrite by name.   :-[   Is their tool patented?  I guess you can't patent an idea about a tool, or can you?  Is there some guy sitting back with a kajillion dollars because he patented the "Hammer".....?  It is a blatant knock off, you can see every part is a match to a logrite hook, except maybe the quality or materials.  Hopefully they can just keep selling to the folks that know the quality and company.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Woodcarver

northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company just joined Harbor Freight on my black list.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Furby

Actually, the review was provided by an outside source, probly a purchaser that knows it's a knock off, see the "(hunt, hint)" in his review. ;)

So if you have an account with them.........

jesse

looks like peavy cant hook and hookaroon  are all copied now

flip

I can't swear how it works but is Logrite's design patent is in the works there is some protection granted (at least that's how my patent attorney explained on my design).  If Northern designed the tool they may be found liable for infringement, if it was designed and built in ChinaIndiaVietMexico the best one could hope for is that Northern quits selling them because of pressure of litigation (blech, more lawyers involved).  I hope it works out for the Logrite guys, I have 2 cant hooks and wouldn't trade them for a big pile of walnut veneer logs.

sawguy21

We have a similar company called Princess Auto Supply. I sometimes shop there for hard to find items. They do have brand name products but are also flooding the market with Asian knockoffs.
I have had customers complain about our high prices and my explanations about performance and longevity fall on deaf ears. "Why should I pay that price for one when I can buy three of theirs for that money." Others come in and sheepishly buy a Honda generator or Husqvarna saw after the cheapo died when needed most.  It was an expensive lesson. ;D
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
John Ruskin

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

I just hope that Logrite emboses their brand in such a manner that it will be recognized as The Tool years after the paper labels have worn off.

flip

Either laser or stamp, my stickers were gone in a week.

thedeeredude

Looks like they're making an Arky too.  A 6.5' handle cant hook.  Selling fake logrite stuff is like putting a suit on a turd. Yeah, sharp its got a suit, oh wait its still a turd.

Don P

QuoteOne thing that I am always telling people is that China's businesses have no morals.  Just look at what they are sending us as products

I agree but don't forget, that lead... is ours. Our environmental laws pretty much put an end to recycling alot of that stuff in country, we ship our scrap to them, they recycle badly and send it back, we feel good about ourselves. If our children are poisoned, we had a hand in it. Our businesses have no morals either  :-\.

A local glass company that every one of us has dealt with in one way or another cannot seem to recycle their broken mirror glass here. The scrap is sent to India and the silver comes back. I would suspect it all happens over an open fire with families breathing it.

Dave Shepard

I was recently told that in Germany it costs about $3,000 to take your compact car to the junk yard. There it is dissassembled to the very last element. All metals are segregated, as are the glass, plastics, rubber. Everything. Doing things right has a higher initial cost, and a higher return in the long run. The recycling of electronic goods overseas has been a problem for a long time. It exposes people of the very lowest working class to very high levels of toxins. I don't think this will change until these countries think of their citizens as any thing but disposable. >:(

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Captain

I just noticed that they had now listed Hookaroons.  At least the hookaroon pictured is one of their knock offs.  LogRite's hookaroons are much more solid, with a machined bung welded in the end of the handle.  I am contending that the cant hook picture was lifted from LogRite or one of their dealers, as Northern's don't come in that particular color.

Captain

trapper

saw the chineese one at the logging congress,  bought logright 60 inch cant hook and the hookaroon at baileys, they both support the forum
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jeff

Who was selling the knock offs at logging congress?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gilman

I looked through the USPTO.gov and couldn't find Logrite's patent(s).  Are the tools patented?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Handy Andy

Looks like the real problem you guys pointed out is that our congress spends money they don't have, so our gov has to borrow from the Chinese.  I have noticed some problems in the congress, so I always vote for someone new. Course they usually lose.  But maybe someday more folks will catch on.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Corley5

Hammond Equipment out of Petoskey had a Logrite orange knockoff canthook.  They had a good price on saw chains too but I bought from Ebel's Hardware out of Falmouth because of the canthook.  That was the only knock off I've seen to touch and it felt inferior
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

flip

Logrite folks.  Get and stay up your patent attorney's butt so he will get up the patent reviewer's butt and get it done ask, me how I know this.   ::)

Thank You Sponsors!