iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cook's plung sharpner

Started by wscott, November 15, 2007, 02:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wscott

saw this on youtube and though others might like to see his. very simple

http://youtube.com/user/alonsolcor
You should always marry a ugly girl, when she leaves you, you want feel so bad.

customsawyer

I just bought a sharpener from cooks yesterday and it is a little different than that one.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

LeeB

Surely this is the wrong cam or something else is badly amiss. What a shame to see a brand new blade ruined like that.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Percy

That looks like a CBN grinding wheel similar to the one I have on my WM sharpener. They plunge the whole profile at the same time. The wheel has to match the blade teeth  near perfectly. Mine uses oil for a lubricant instead of water. I have had the same stone on for a year and a half and its still working great. I average about 7 sharpenings per working day. The thing is very consistant and never blues the steel and leaves virtually no burr. I dont know how long that wheel would last with water lube.
CBN sharpeners have many advantages over  the regular type of sharpeners and a few disadvantages as well IMHO.

Advantages
No constant profiling the grinding wheel
No blueing the blade gullet
No burrs
Very  sharp consistant grind throuout the whole blade
Much quicker setup

Disadvantages
Wheel cost is about $300.00 but probably lasts as long as about 20 regular stones(jury    still out on that one)

Blade profile has to match the grinding wheel(I use a WM wheel so I MUST use WM blades )

Switching between any different profile(10 degree/13 degree/9 degree/4 degree) requires a stone for each profile. Could get pricey if you arnt happy with one setup.

Ive had mine for 18 months now and I could never go back. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Brad_S.

That must be a Frankensharpener modified by someone who doesn't know how to sharpen blades. For those who don't sharpen their own blades, the rock should come down on the face of the tooth as shown in the video, but it should then rake the gullet and travel up the back of the tooth and across the tip as it rises up.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

bigmillman

I did not know that Cooks made a sharpener like that.  I have a Cat Claw (I believe that's right) that does a good job.  I sharpen a lot of blades with the Blue (?) stone that comes from cooks.  As stated earlier, once you start grinding you better keep the blade moving or you will blue the steel...I've been down that road too.  I use 3 different kinds of blades and sure would hate to have to buy 3 different grinding wheels at $300.00 each!

This is my first post on this forum, sure have enjoyed just checkin it out so far!

Stacey Freeman
Freeman's Mill

Brad_S.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum bigmillman! 8)

I am sure that that is not a Cook's sharpener, but rather a homemade unit based roughly on a Cook design. I too have one of their Cat Claw sharpeners and receive their mailings regularly and I have never seen anything quite like that in their literature.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

logwalker

Whether that is a Cook's original or not, it is a very good piece of engineering. Without a chance to inspect the finished grind it is impossible to say but but looks to be doing a good job at a very high rate of speed. Anybody privy to more info about the grinder or it's builder? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Kcwoodbutcher

I grind mine the same way only on a modified radial arm saw and a blade holding/ indexing jig. I use a silicon oxide wheel that I dress to the profile I want ( that's where the real work is ). The profile lasts quite a while with just a little touching up every once in a while. If I change the angle I also have to change the profile of the rest of the stone a little. You can sharpen as fast as you can index and pull the blade through the jig. Now I just have to make a setter.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

ronwood

kcwoodbutcher,

Would you happen to have any pictures of your setup?

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Brian_Rhoad

A chainsaw chain sharpener can be modified to do the same thing. I had used one modified to use a 3/4" thick grinding wheel to make a plung grind on blades. It takes a different wheel for each blade style and hook angle. Also a different wheel for tooth pitch. I could get the blades very sharp, but my Dino sharpeners are much nicer!

Kcwoodbutcher

I'll take a pic tomorrow and post.  By the way,it was aluminum oxide not silcone.

Faron

Percy,where did you get your stone?  Did I understand correctly that you are using it on a Woodmizer sharpener?  If so, did you have to get a different cam so it plunges down and picks right back up?  I can see that would be a very good setup.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

wscott

have e-mail  the person that put the video on youtube and here is the reply

"we make this machine in Costa Rica and sell them in South and Central America, the water is a special coolant for tools, we use and sell Simonds red streak saws (they are the best, by far), the aproximate cost of the machine is $ 2300, it uses a CBN wheel instead of a grinding wheel, the shape of the wheel has the shape of the tooth profile, so it reproduces the shape, leaving and excelent sharp edge."
You should always marry a ugly girl, when she leaves you, you want feel so bad.

Kcwoodbutcher

Ronwood here's a pic of the sharpener. Pretty crude and simple but it works well.

LeeB

Obviously I need to watch the vid again. Thought I saw just the face being ground and a step in the gullet.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ronwood

Kcwoodbutcher,

Thanks for the pics.  Can you adjust the depth of the cut easily?

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Kcwoodbutcher

The depth of cut is done using the height adjustment on the saw very carefully. It's pretty coarse adjustment but once it's set you 'll not have to mess with it much. The indexing pin (bolt ) is slightly bent so rotating it a little gives you horizontal adjustment ( or you can tap it with a hammer like I do ). I just shave a few thousandths of each time I sharpen a blade. The wheel is a one inch wheel to get the full length of cut on a 7/8 pitch band at an angle. Check the arbor length on your saw, it just barely makes it on mine.

Percy

Quote from: Faron on November 17, 2007, 05:09:59 AM
Percy,where did you get your stone?  Did I understand correctly that you are using it on a Woodmizer sharpener?  If so, did you have to get a different cam so it plunges down and picks right back up?  I can see that would be a very good setup.
Heya Faron
I got my CBN wheel and cam/splashguards which came in a upgrade kit from Woodmizer. Took a couple of hours to install. The cam is very simple compared to the regular cam as all it has to do is drop the head momentarily, then lift it quickly before the foot pushes the blade.  There is a rather comprehensive oil delivery system  for the wheel and alot of splash guards to keep the oil contained. They work quite well. The whole system is very good. I dont know if the upgrade kit is available to U.S. customers as they have the RESHARP option not available anywhere else in the world.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and postem...
later

Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

gmmills

Percy,

The kit is still not available to us in the US.  :'( :'(   I 've been talking to many WM techs about the possibility of them offering the kit here.  Still no go.  I know of at least 6 sawyers in my area that would buy the kit tomorrow.  The CBN wheel has great advantages over a standard wheels. 
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Dan_Shade

I've heard that WM would rather you use resharp, and they sell them in canada due to no resharp in canada.

Does any other manufacturer offer a CBN sharpener here in the US?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Faron

Yeah, but I don't want to be shipping blades back and forth all the time.  Grumble, grumble, gripe.  ::)  I would really consider a kit if one could be had.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

WH_Conley

Yeah. What Faron said. I have a WM sharpener sitting in the basement. I am not going to be shipping blades, if I was I would not have bought the thing to start with. I would consider the upgrade though.
Bill

Furby

It's not that hard to get something from Canada if you are willing to pay for it!  ;) :)

WH_Conley

Yeah, bee thinking about that too.
Bill

musikwerke

I spoke to Wood-Mizer about getting their CBN sharpener and it was polite NO.  I even spoke to the next person up the ladder and same answer.  They pretty much admitted that Re-Sharp is making them lots of money in the USA so why sell us something that would cut into that?  They did, however, offer to escalate my call to the number one person in their blade department but I haven't gone there yet.  Someone is going to get my $2K to $3K+ for a sharpener / setter and I'd prefer it to be Wood-Mizer but I want what I want.  Perhaps via Canada is the way I'll have to go but just maybe if we keep harping on this WM will change their policy.  I'm never going to use Re-Sharp or any other mail-order service.  My location makes shipping anything by anyone a real hassle.
John

musikwerke

I forgot to mention that the second person at Wood-Mizer I spoke with said that their CBN sharpener is used a lot by sawyers out in the jungle in South / Central America. He said they don't have the time or patience to profile a wheel and they will sharpen a blade over and over to the point where it is so narrow that it breaks. So that tells me there ARE some real benefits to the CBN machine.
John

WH_Conley

Why even bother selling sharpeners? That cuts into resharp to.
Bill

StorminN

musikwerke,

You're close enough to Canada that if I were you I'd have someone across the border order you a WM sharpener and then ship it to you.

Sounds like you're in a nice spot, I've got a good friend that grew up on the Cushman Road, must be somewhere close to you. His parents still live there.

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Thank You Sponsors!