iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulling trees

Started by biziedizie, April 22, 2003, 07:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

Hey guys I looked at a few trees lastnight and I can get them for free. Here's the problem, I have to pull them over. Because of the fisheries rules these trees can't be cut down but if we pull them over then they will look like they were blown down.
  The trees are great big cedars and they sit in a creek so I'm thinking that they should come down with ease.
  Does anyone have any ideas how to do this? Like a block or two and 300 feet of cable or is there a better way?

Steve

OneWithWood

Whoa there Bizz!  The reason you can't cut those trees is probably because they are in the riparian zone and offer some protection for the water quality of the stream.  Pulling them over will cause more harm then cutting them down.  You might look for some other trees and try and stay out of touble :D :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

biziedizie

OneWithWood the trees are on land that's going to be developed one day and the creek has been blocked off on the end by a land owner that hates the goverment. The city wants to call this creek that has no water in it a fish habitat but there's no fish. :D
  Most of the people that have this so called creek running through their property have back filled it and it's just funny watching the R.C.M.P try to stop everyone from doing this.
  See the problem is that the fisheries can take whatever land away from people and there's no compensation and that just pi**** people off.
  We have the tail end of this creek going through our property and the fisheries guys are here all the time and I keep asking them if they have seen any fish. :D
  It's a big joke around here and seeing these guys try to save something that never was is funny.
  Anyways the guy that wants these trees pulled over is just trying to prove a point to the fish guys that nobody can tell him what to do.
  I think it's all funny and aslong as I don't do time I don't mind helping this guy out. :D

Steve

OneWithWood

Well I would let him pull the trees down.  You then are just doin' you civic duty by helping to clean up the downed trees.
One With Wood

biziedizie

He got to talking about pulling over this fir tree that I have and I do want to cut it but I can't. Don't know if ya remember me posting about this owl that was bugging me but this owl lives in this tree. This owl that was making all this noise was doing it for a reason! The other night I was sitting there watching this guy and out of the blue another owl flew in. I guess that's his mate and their going to nest so that's what all the noise was about. :D
  My 5 year old is learning alot about owls and it's cool watching these two up in the tree doing their thing.
  It's kinda funny cause just a few weeks ago I wanted to blast this thing and bbq it!

Steve

MrMoo

I agree watching owls is pretty neat. We had one in a tree just ouside the house last night. We tend to see them more at this time of year.
I always find it amazing that a bird with a wignspan of a couple feet or more can fly from the clearing around our house right into the forest. How they avoid the trees amazes me.

As far as your cedar trees I'd stay away from them.

ohsoloco

Steve, it's coming....where do baby owls come from?  :D :D :D

ksu_chainsaw

we've pulled our fair share of trees that overgrow streambanks here.  we just hook onto them with the D-7 and start pulling.  sometimes we have to dig out the root ball some, but they usually fall pretty quick.  just make sure that the cable is longer than the tree is tall- dad had the top of a cottonwood laying on top of the cab one time.

Charles W.

Tillaway

Steve,
I would run and not walk from that one.  Let the landowner do it so he can pay the fines.  If you don't have a real big storm, then it would be hard to prove you didn't pull them over.  Particularly if you have heavy equipment tracks where you shouldn't have them.

I think there might be some bureaucrat at the DFO just itching to justify thier pay check.  I wouldn't touch this one myself.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

biziedizie

Tillaway it seems that he has an idea of putting a sling around the tree so there won't be any marks on it. I was at the job site and he called to see if I had three more blocks. Seems he has this idea that if we (he!) blocks the cable at an angle then the tracks will be way away from the tree. :D I told him that would require another 500' of cable so I guess he's working on that.
  The guys retired and boy oh boy does he come up with some crazy ideas. :D Right now he's got a huge burn pile going and I expect the fire dept. to be over there soon.
  BTW this is the same guy that dropped the tree on my house. :D

Steve

Tom

That being the case you better hedge your odds and have a hotel receipt from out of town for the day HE pulls the trees.

It sounds like a lot of trouble looking to land on somebody to me.

Minnesota_boy

Have you considered moving?  This guy sounds dangerous and likely to involve you into something that will cost you a fine (and he'll get nothing, just the way it works).
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jeff

I think if I was a C.O. reading this, which believe me son many do, and they all have connections, even into B.C., I'd be rubbing my hands together.

When it comes to ethical forestry and related industry practices this aint on the list.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dail_h

Bizz let the landowner pull them over ,then you can BUY them and be sure to get a reciept.Some of these gov. official like proving to us mere citizens just how much athority they have
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Tillaway

Retired... Crazy... Guy! Yikes!...well, I would be on the next plane out of there.  Trust me, I could figure it out, particularly if I knew about this guy.  You have to ask yourself, "Will there be enough value in those logs to warrant the potential head ache."  Just because its a big Red Cedar doesn't mean it has enough value to bother with.  If it is wormy or pecky you would be wasting your time, and taking on too much risk for cull grade logs.

Run Steve Run!  
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Paul_H

Steve,
you mentioned the Owl thread you posted before.In that thread you were just pulling our leg.I sure hope your doing that here too. :)

You've been given sound advice and I hope you take it.DFO is not to be messed with unless you have a lot of spare cash for the fines.

Not to mention earning a bad name.

You are kidding,right? ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jason_WI

How can they not compensate you for taking something that is yours. That is called stealing.  >:( >:(

First they take your guns, and then thay can just take what they want.  ???

What you need to do is set up a refuge for beavers and they will dam up the creek and chew off the trees for you ;D

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

biziedizie

Paul when I was talking about the owl before in the other thread I wasn't joking about it driving me nuts with it's hooting. Might have been going overboard with talking about knocking it off thuogh. :D But it did cross my mind a few times!
  I've learned to love these two little guys now that I know what the hooting was all about. See we don't get owls here and it's kinda nice to see another side of the wild. My kid just loves the two love birds. :)
  As far as the DFO I think that they do their part in getting things back to the way they should be but in this instance they are dead wrong and everyone on this creek is fighting them.
  Paul it's a very, very long story and maybe one night if you get a chance call me and I will explain it better to you. I'm all for conservation but this has just been a joke from the begining.

Jason_WI the DFO can do whatever they like and if they want our land then they can take it from us, end of story. We have no legal rights and they are crooks in my book.

As far as the trees go I noticed that my dunebuggy is gone which means he's working on it so me thinks his mind will be off the trees now so that's a good thing!

Steve

woodbeard

I like Jasons idea. Kinda puts an ironic twist on the conservation thing. Moreover, I would suggest you and your neighbors coming to terms and making peace with the DFO guys. How's this- invite them all to a big fish fry :D :D

Haytrader

They would say  "Where's the fish?"
You could reply   "That's what we would like to know."

:D  :D  :D
Haytrader

OneWithWood

You might come up with a few other projects for dear old dad and keep his mind off those trees. ;)
One With Wood

biziedizie

Here's the funny thing about the DFO. I and another company team up together and do seismic upgrades to for the DFO. We do the offices in Vancouver and we do the offices on the island.
  I totally understand what their purpose in life is and it's interesting seeing all the charts and talking to the people that work there.
  I like the fact that they can regenerate old creeks and bring the fish back to where they once were but in this case I think they should back off.
  I was talking to this woman one day and she's the head of one of the departments and she even agreed that sometimes they try to bring life to salmon beds that have no hope.
  This creek of ours that has no water in it....Oh hold on it's raining so there might be a puddle out there now!
  Anyways the mouth of this creek has about 700' of it back filled and then it is blocked by train tracks. Then there was a road built with no culverts then it goes through the neighbors place and who knows what he's dumped in it!
  It gets to our place and there used to be two ponds there that we would skate on but they are long gone cause the old man did something years back to stop the water flow.
  It did go through the back fields which are now part of the golf course and they back filled it with no culverts for any water to flow through. The rest of this non functional creek have long been filled to level fields.
  The DFO has come in and claimed many acres of land with no compensation and there's been some pretty ugly wars around here to the point that the RCMP have to be here if they want to continue their studies. One guy had a shotgun on the cops trying to protect his land as they were going to claim half of it. He did a year in jail for that little stint.
  I'm very intune with Native studies and my best friend Deanna lives on the reserve and I asked her dad if there was ever any fish in this creek and he said that there never was. He figures that the DFO is just trying to secure all the land that they can as they have a limited time frame to do this in.

Steve

Neil_B

Sounds to me that this DFO is pretty much INSANE :o!!
Are there no other agencies like MNR that could do some kind of study for you guys to prove nothing will be accomplished by grabbing this land?? Are they going to take over the golf course and rail bed as well?? There has to be a way around it, there usually is for big industries. Oh yeah, they have lots of money to donate ;D!!
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

biziedizie

New_Sawyer I think what's happening is that the DFO is just doing their job but they sure do ruffle some feathers sometimes! From what I understand they get goverment money and they have to spend that cash in a certain amout of time and if they don't they won't get the same amount or more the next year. It's the same with us, if we don't spend our grants we don't get as much work the following year to do these upgrades. I think it's a complete waste of tax payers money but I NEVER complain when I see those checks come in. :)

There are independant consultants doing studies on the creek that the developers pay for but they sure do take their time getting results to all of us.
  If these guys and the goverment would send letters to us and keep us updated then maybe there wouldn't be so much screaming and shouting.
  Anyways I'm off to give the owls a peace offering of mixed nuts. :)
  Looks like I found some new friends.

Steve

BW_Williams

Steve, for future reference,  I have seen some large firs (20-30" dbh) pulled down with a 2 ton come along hooked up about 15' then to another tree the same size down low.  This fellow would tighten the line (I believe he was using 1/2" wire rope)  then leave them be for a week or so and the wind would work the roots loose.  He said it only took him a few tensionings to bring them down.  This case was a private, gated woodlot with no youngster running around and the owner needed the stumps out anyway for his road.  I'm sure soil conditions would make a difference also.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Thank You Sponsors!