iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ear Protection

Started by Woodbender, November 13, 2007, 02:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodbender

What are you guys using for hearing protection in a production environment? IE: day to day operations

Our son Chris is starting school next year at the Great Lakes Boat Building School and some substantial protection is recommended.  Personally I'm steering away from the little mushy foam things.

So who's using what?
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

IL Bull

I use the formed ear plugs with a string connection them.  Foam ones seem to pick up too much oil and dirt off your fingers. >:(
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

beenthere

I use the "little mushy foam things".. I find they are comfortable, cut out the sound by a large %, and I use only half one in each ear.

He should pick what feels most comfortable to him. They will get worn more often, and be less distracting.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tcsmpsi

Full ear coverage is best.  There is a sound sensative area behind the ear which the plugs do not protect.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

medic1289

I use full muffs when running the mill, I don't remember what dec.level they are, I do know they are in the mid range for protection.

I like the easy on/ easy off with the muffs.  They're also a lot harder to lose during the day!!

Timburr

Another benefit with muffs, is they keep the 'nip' off the ears during inclement weather. I prefer muffs during the winter, but they are a bit stifling in summer.

One particular machine, I operate, yields a substantially high decibel output. I use muffs on top of the squigey foam things to suppress the bells. The foam plugs get grubby quickly out in the field, but a brisk wash in warm soapy water and they are fine!
Sense is not common

submarinesailor

Having been around and in high noise environments just about all my life I would like to make the following recommendations:

1.   What ever type of hearing protection you wear, buy the highest rated ones you can find – at lease with an NRR rating of 30 or better.  This is one time for some of you NOT to be cheap/tight wads.
2.   As much as possible/when practical, wear double protection – inserts and over the ear.  This works very well when shooting.  Particularly on the left side – the side towards the muzzle blast.  This method is also used by the chippers and carbon arc guys in the shipyards.
3.   Make it a point to take good care of it just like you would with your chain saw chaps or other PPE.

These recommendations come from 2 shipyard periods on submarines (have you ever heard 3/8" steel pop rivets go off inside a steel box), 2 years in the steel plants between Chicago and Pittsburgh, working on 3000HP chillers at the Pentagon, shooting all my life, working in several big power plants in and around Tampa and the mid west and last but the most damaging was working on the missile tube Beather Valves on board the boats.  They would go from about 25 dba to 103 dba in about 25 msec, right in your left ear.

Right now I use foam plugs rated for 33 NRR with some muffs rated for 28 NRR.

Bruce

scsmith42

As always, Bruce (Submarinesailor) offers excellent advice.

I have a Peltor active noise cancelling headset that include three really nice features.  First, they have an AM/FM radio built in.  Second, they have a microphone built in so that you can hear folks speaking on the range, jobsite, etc, but they filter out the very loud noises.

Third, they have an interface to my cellphone and allow me to talk over it while in a noisy environment.  I've actually carried on cell phone calls while operating my Cat D8 dozer, and that critter is so loud that you can't hear a person yelling into your ear when they're right next to you.  The Peltor technology is impressive, to say the least.

I think that the NRR is in the high 20's.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

submarinesailor

Scott,

I had completely forgotten about the active noise cancallation equipment out there.  Never used it, but glad to hear it works.

Bruce

ADAMINMO

There was a thread on here about a link you could go to and get a free hearing protection saample kit.Don'y remember where it was or who put it on though.It was for Bilsom ppe. It comes with alot of samples of different hearing protection and it is free.I got one myself.You could try that as well.If you or someone can find the thread.

Timburr

Adam, I remember Inspectorwoody posting THIS.
Sense is not common

ADAMINMO

Yup .... Thats the one I was thinkin of.I got my pkg from them and was blown away at all the stuff they sent.Check them out and order them you will be satisfied I think .. I was!

Tom

You must've told them that you owned Ellington, Mo.  :D :D

You DanGed absconding whippersnapper ;D

They probably built a whole nuther plant in anticipation of the business.  :D :D

stonebroke

peltor red and black ear muffs are the best. They are very comfortable and I think are rated around 31 decibels.

Ston ebroke

ADAMINMO

You know me well Tom !!! I did order them and was truely impressed to say the least.I was surprised in the amount of hearing protection that they sent out for "free".Then they follow up later with a courtesy call or e-mail to see if you are satisfied with the product and aren't pushy to get you to commit to buy anything.They are just there to help you and your ears.
Very impressive!!!

Tom

Well, based on your recommendation, I ordered it too.  Not just because it's free, but I want to look into saving what little bit of hearing I have left and need a place to start.  As big as Jacksonville is, I'm sure there are dealers here, I just never have known were to look.   

I'm thinking that those inserts might be handy to keep on the truck for others to use.  I tried to make a habit of keeping gloves on the truck for that reason.  I could get the split leather and canvas working gloves for a $1.00 to $3.00 a pair from a safety company here.  They make good handouts and serve three purposes.   They let the customer know that you care and they help to cut down on minor chafing and splinter injuries as well as speed up production.  Pretty cheap advertisement.  I would buy them 2 or 3 gross at the time when I got them for a dollar.

wesdor

The kit from Bilsom was great - much more than I expected.  I would advise purchasing things from them since they have been so good to our members and their quality seems very good.

That being said, I checked on the Peltor Active Noise Canceling that Scott mentioned earlier.  Amazon has it listed at $17.66. 

It is refreshing to see so many people concerned about their hearing.  Everyone around me laughs because I use the foam ear plugs AND ear muffs, but I see others have the same habit.  You only get one set of ears so protect them.

Woodbender

Wesdor - I ordered a kit for Woodbender Boats.  How long did it take for your kit to arrive?
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

Thank You Sponsors!