iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm going to build a trebuchet.

Started by Dave Shepard, November 12, 2007, 06:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I've decided I need to have something for those days when you just need to go out in the back yard and start chunkin' things into the woods. Big things, like boulders, or passing sub-compact cars. So, what do you think? :D :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Daren

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Dave Shepard

I am thinking of a replica of Warwolf, used by Edward Longshanks to siege Stirling castle in 1304. I watched a documentary the other day of a bunch of TFers that built a replica of Warwolf in Scotland. It would hurl a 300 pound boulder something like 300 yards. And that was with only partial ballast. :o ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Daren

I missed that show. I would start with a "punkin' chucker" . They have a contest about 6 miles from here. trebuchets, air cannons...

Don P

OK but my family was on the side chunkin punkins back  ;D

barbender

I saw a show on the History channel where a fella in england had built a trebuchet that he hurled compact cars with. It was quite a distance it threw them, pretty impressive.
Too many irons in the fire

logwalker

I saw one show where they were tossing humans into a big net. Very crazy of course. One gal hit the net and bounced back into the air about 20 feet and landed on the ground and broke several things. They would practice with a equal weight and then hook up the human idiot. Very entertaining. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Ianab

Quote from: barbender on November 12, 2007, 07:41:36 PM
I saw a show on the History channel where a fella in england had built a trebuchet that he hurled compact cars with. It was quite a distance it threw them, pretty impressive.

This guy I think..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wVADKznOhY

Cheers

Ian

P.S. Another vote for GO FOR IT  8)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JimMoore

metalspinner

I've always wanted one. ;D

I built  a tabletop model that would throw a marshmellow about 40'.  Never tryed to light the marshmellow, though. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Daren

Quote from: metalspinner on November 13, 2007, 08:40:41 AM
  Never tryed to light the marshmellow, though. :D

:D :D, Ianab put a bad idea into your head posting that video. Burning pianos was not the guys first choice, he made it to throw something else but too many "sentimental people", he ran out of ammo.

Dave Shepard

Destroy the castle game! (dialup friendly) http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostempires/trebuchet/destroywave.html

This link to Nova online is from the documentary. I am still trying to find plans for Warwolf. I have decided to make a copy of it, a hinged counterweight is a must. ;)

Dave

Dave Shepard

Oops! My sling was too short, I dropped a huge boulder on my head, then I got shot with an arrow. :o :D

Dave

Raphael

When you do get a Warwolf started let me know.  I'm getting close to a temp CO and can see a day (far off in the distance) when I'll be free to play. 
I believe I can find plans for Warwolf through my friends in the SCA, also no problems finding a volunteer artillery crew complete with medieval garb. ;D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Dave Shepard

Raphael, if you could find plans for a full scale Warwolf, let me know, all I could find where plans for table top models. What is the SCA? I need to get a materials list together. I have access to a lot of nice straight oak to make the timbers out of. Might have to get my friend to come with his crane to set it up though. :D

Dave

Raphael

The SCA is "The Society for Creative Anachronism", they recreate medieval society 'not as it was but as it should have been'.  You might know them as the nuts that dress up in armour and beat each other silly with rattan swords. ;)

The guys with the swords and welts are Heavy List Fighters who make up roughly 1/3 of the society but get most of the press.  It's pretty impressive when you get a couple hundred of them together at a war.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Dave Shepard

I have heard of them, my sister was trying to get me involved at one time. You can bring them along, but just tell them the boulder won't be papier mache. ;) :D

Dave

Ianab

This is a 'table top' model we built a couple of years back for one of my boys school projects. If was a bit overpowered for inside use, we had 5lb of counterweight (an old electical transformer) instead of the plans 2lbs  ;)

If could hurl a golfball 36ft  8)

One other piece of advice.. the first few shots can fly in EITHER direction - or even straight up  :o Takes a few goes to get the sling release tuned just right  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Raphael

http://www.rlt.com/trebuchet/plans/warwolf/

http://www.trebuchet.com/

These two are a good place to start, both have scale Warwolf plans.
www.trebuchet.com only exists now as an archive, to talk to live
hurlers, it'll redirect you to www.thehurl.org

Some existing trebuchets on the web.

Warwick castle:
http://www.warwick-castle.co.uk/events/warwick_trebuchet.asp

Caerphilly castle:
http://www.castlewales.com/caerphil .html

Denmark:
http://www.middelaldercentret.dk/Projekter/trebuchets.html

Visby:
http://www.angelfire.com/freak2/zigpop/visby.html

And there were 2 made for a nova special:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostempires/trebuchet/builds.html
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Dave Shepard

Thanks Raphael, I'll take a look at these sites tonight. The two built for Nova were the inspiration for me to build a trebuchet. Ed Levin was in on it, maybe I could contact him and see if he can help with plans as well.

Dave

TW

Will that trebuchet be a part of the new US-army missile shield, or will it only be needed for the terror balance with the next town? :)  It will surely scare the [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] out of Kim il Sung.
Now I am shutting down and running away from the computer so you cannot hit me.

Over to the serious department in my brain.

Watch out with the shape of the hook that holds the net. I red somewhere about a replica trebuchet that had a too straight hook and fired the boulder backwards, killing one man.

An original trebuchet was found under a church floor in Germany in the late 19th century. They cut it up for firewood. What a shame.

Dave Shepard

In the movie, the Warwolf replica did not use a metal hook. Instead, the end of the arm was rounded, and the end of the sling rope was formed into an eye, and the eye was slipped over the end of the arm. Adjustments in trajectory were acheived be changing sling length. I think I will use my tractor winch to pull the trigger, it has 200' of cable, and if I place the winchline perpendicular to the line of fire, I should have enough time to adjust position, should something go amiss. ::) Too bad about that church treb, so much of our history has gone towards keeping people warm. ::)

Dave

Dave Shepard

I've been in contact with a member of the team that built the Warwolf replica in Scotland. He is going to see about getting permission to use the plans, and to see if there are any fees involved. 8) 8)

Dave

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Daren

metalspinner, I really wish you had not posted that link...I saw a couple I want to build now  >:( :D . Table top siege machines, who'da thought ? Oh Jeez, I even bookmarked it  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!