iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cable Serving

Started by Fla._Deadheader, April 21, 2003, 04:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

A request was made to show how to make a clean "eye" in a cable, without using umpteen clamps. I did not show adding the compression sleeve on the cable first, in case you want to do that instead of using a clamp. Here is how I do it.
  Cut the cable so you have a clean straight end, and unravel the cable in equal sections, usually 3 strands each, plus the core. You want to take the unraveled ends and make a "pretend" eye, and allow plenty of extra length.

Take the ends and cross them over and wrap one around the other. (There is a right and wrong way to do this). Look at the way the "lay" is and when you wrap them, they will be as the original cable.

Next, keep wrapping the ends , each way, until you are very near the base of the eye. Be VERY careful that you don't bend either section of cable. It will become VERY difficult to finish the eye.

Now you MUST take the core out of whichever section it is in and cut it off so it will disappear into the base of the eye. There is no good way to try to wrap the core around the OUTSIDE of the original cable.

Now, all you have to do is finish wrapping the ends around the outside of the cable and use a little black tape to hold the ends tight. Then fasten them with 1 clamp or a compression sleeve. If the ends are secured really well, this eye will break before the ends slip. It is as strong as the original cable.

Now, if you didn't follow the instructions, you end up with this!!

There is a way to do a splice in the middle of a cable, but, it is more difficult and won't wrap on a winch drum very well.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Haytrader

Harold,

You the man!
I am M pressed..... 8)
Can you weave Indian blankets too?   :D

How bout a little history like who taught ya and when.

Haytrader

WV_hillbilly

Deadheader , Where you a lineman in your previous occupation ? It looks like it . That is a nice looking eye you served on that cable. I used to work with some old linemen who tried to show how to do rope ends like that. The only problem is not much sunk in as I was a snot nosed apprentice . Wish I would 've paid more attention then  , it could 've saved me alot of head scratchin now.
Hillbilly

Fla._Deadheader

Hillbilly, you are correct. 12 years I clumb dem poles. The rope is easy also. I have a brain fart when I want to put in a braided end in a hurry. Ya gotta start out right or it don't work. Splicing a rope or braiding an eye is as easy as the cable eye.

Hay man, what happened to the pic posting deal I thought we had going????   I found out today, doing those cable pics, that if you take the pic down to 330 pixels and then save them, you shouldn't have to optimize them. Just use Photoshop or one of them programs. Worked 6 out of 6 today. Try it.
 I can weave white oak strip baskets!! Does that count?? How about this ?? Everything handmade but strings and chinrest.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!