iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 350 fuel problem

Started by NewEnglander, November 11, 2007, 10:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewEnglander

Hello, The Husky 350 I have won't start. Checked the spark, it's fine, and dry. No fuel in carb, and the tank is full. I've had trouble with other little 2 cycle engines where the fuel line cracks, which is what I suspect may be wrong with Husky. I'd like to take the fuel line, carb and fuel tank out to clean/ inspect, but I've never had this saw apart that far.
I was wondering if anyone has any hint's/ tips for disassemble procedures?

NewEnglander

Nevermind, laid the saw on it's side and the fuel came pouring out the back side. Big crack in the line. Pulled it out through the tank, hope I'll be able to feed the new line down from the top.

With the tank and the carb being in two different compartments, which move freely from each other, and the rubber fuel line transfering through both, is it possible for this part not to fail?

Should I just buy 4 feet of line so I can change it again in 2 years??

NewEnglander

Has anyone ever tried to open up or bevel the edges of the hole where the fuel line enters the carburator housing?
It seems to me that if the line were a bit looser it might allow it to slide in and out a bit as opposed to stretching, which has to make it wear and crack.

sawguy21

Cut the line at a shallow angle and it should feed through to where you can grab it with needle nose pliers. Cut it square, install the filter and you are good to go. Leave enough line in the tank so the filter is at the bottom of the fuel without kinking. If you open up the hole in the tank it will leak when the saw is turned for felling.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ladylake

Quote from: NewEnglander on November 11, 2007, 10:35:58 AM
Nevermind, laid the saw on it's side and the fuel came pouring out the back side. Big crack in the line. Pulled it out through the tank, hope I'll be able to feed the new line down from the top.

With the tank and the carb being in two different compartments, which move freely from each other, and the rubber fuel line transfering through both, is it possible for this part not to fail?

Should I just buy 4 feet of line so I can change it again in 2 years??

If memory serves me right Husky had a lot of problems with fuel lines for a few years, I think they came out with better ones now.   Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

NewEnglander

Thanks for the replies and tips. I'll have to look at a few other saws to see how they do it, but on the Husky it just looks like a design destined to fail. The line/rubber hose comes out of a hole in the tank then passes through the upper housing where it attaches to the carb. The upper portion/ handle of the saw must have some rubber shock absorbers where it attaches to the lower portion/ blade. This causes the line/ rubber hose to be stretched and released as the two parts of the saw move independently. My initial idea was to open the hole at the top so the line would float a bit and not be bind and stretch. I think now I'll just make sure there is enough line between the two compartments to allow for the maximum amount of movement and think that the original line was installed without enough from the factory. Maybe mine will last a bit longer.

logwalker

That is the design used by every manufacturer of all yard, garden and outdoor small engine I have worked on. It isn't the vibration that attacks those hoses. It is the modern fuel formulation that rots them. You can try running them out of fuel when not in use but the bottom line is they need to be replaced ever couple years. Good luck, Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Polly

8) logwalker has a good idea anytime the saw rototiller or what have youis not being used in near future drain tank and run dry i wnow some of the engines has fuel shut off on tank which you can shut off the fuel if doing this stay bill should be added :P :)

Thank You Sponsors!